Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #31
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Video View Post
Mark - I have been upscaling to 1920 x 1080 for blu-ray also, infact the presets you have posted for PC3 are 1920 x 1080 also they work well But what should I be doing keeping to 1440x1080 and encoding to mpeg2 from PC3
I've included 1440 presets as well. It` lets you reduce the data rate a bit and keep the same Q. It's not really upscaling at` all, anamorphic video has been around for some time with 16:9 DVD and I dont see anyone questioning if DVD players or panels do it well enough.

I've not had a chance to see if encoding 1990 or 1440 from Firecoder results in different bitrates. Perhaps it's the same?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #32
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Anybody has a chance to convert HD to SD MPEG2 and see if the quality is better than going through virtual dub?
Just done this - initially disappointed, artifacts on the veranda railings, fine mesh moving continuously over tiled roofs.

However - using Anton's Virtual Dub method to make the HQ file to feed FireCoder Blu,
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...dub-hd-sd.html
90% of the artifacts have gone, now very acceptable quality.

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Just done this - initially disappointed, artifacts on the veranda railings, fine mesh moving continuously over tiled roofs.

However - using Anton's Virtual Dub method to make the HQ file to feed FireCoder Blu,
Have you compared Anton's method to Mark Stuart's (MSVideo) definitive method?
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #34
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Have you compared Anton's method to Mark Stuart's (MSVideo) definitive method?
I commented on how effective I found Mark's method at the time, I agree it's the "definitive method" for those folk that are not daunted by the set up.

Unfortunately Firecoder Blu won't accept the vfapi.avi produced by VFAPIConvEN.exe, disappointing as the frame serving method doesn't require the sharpness filter to be added to VDub, keeps the output cleaner I think as what is needed is to be rid of higher frequencies before encoding to MPEG.

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #35
Claire

Default Frame serving to Firecoder Blu solution?

Okay, I have now found a way to employ Mark Stuart's (MSVideo) definitive method of frame serving with Firecoder Blu.

Following on from my last attempt when I found FCB would not accept the vfapi.avi produced by VFAPIConvEN.exe I decided instead to open it in Edius 5 and to my delight it was accepted.

I needed to change it's properties in the bin to upper field first and it's aspect ratio to widescreen. Then I exported it in HQ fine format.

The export seemed a bit slow until I remembered the frame serving was going on which includes the scaling from VDub so I forgave it <grin>.

FCB accepted it and at standard quality setting converted the 3 minute clip to MPEG in seconds. I burnt the result of it and the "regular version" to a DVD and studied them both carefully on my 42" Panasonic plasma.

The "regular" version had the terrible cross hatching on the roof tiles and jittering of fine horizontal lines on the road surfaces, the frame served version is vastly superior, cannot imagine anyone spotting the remaining artifacts without being told what to look for.

is it worth it??? Hmm... how does this compare timewise? Need to think about it.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #36
Khoi Pham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Thanks for checking, look like it does not have a low pass filter, it design more as a HD transcoder.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus