Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
trillium

Default updating DCH Intel graphics driver/Edius?

I used the Intel assistant to download the October 2018 Intel 630 graphics driver. Downloaded the driver that Intel said needed update but then during the install (of course!!!) Intel said the driver was not compatible with my Dell system.

I assume I need to find a DCH version of this driver as that is what my Nvidia 1060 required but did not see DCH for Intel 630. I also noted somewhere that it might be needed to update a Radeon driver before updating the Intel 630 -- anyone heard that?

Is there not a one-step update and/or does anyone know if Edius prefers the DCH version or the old version, old architecture for drivers?

I assume windows will eventually update the driver automatically and I'm wondering if it's the reason many people have had problems recently with edius crashing?
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
tingsern

The driver that you get from Intel is the generic driver that assumes the h/w vendor has not modified the Intel chip and/or firmware. So - it is 100% normal to see that message upon install that the driver is not compatible with your h/w.

If your motherboard / laptop is DELL, then you should get the driver from DELL's website.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
John Lewis

When i saw this message back in March i reverted to the original driver from disk and then updated from that point
There are users reporting here that the latest DCH drivers work but i am staying with the one that works on my system for now 24.20.100.6025
John Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
trillium

Funny though, Handbrake does seem to use QS but Edius, I just don't know. Wondering if in Edius system settings if I should just have Intel 630 selected under importer/exporter gpu rather than the Intel cpu and Nvidia as well.

Reading the posts here it seems I should have a monitor connected to the Intel board, will give that a try before I do anymore updating.

Thanks for the info, I'll look at Dell updates. When I get the not compatible message using the install from Intel it basically aborts the install in the last stage. Bigger fish to fry at the moment- going to complete my current project and then "mess everything up!
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Funny though, Handbrake does seem to use QS but Edius, I just don't know. Wondering if in Edius system settings if I should just have Intel 630 selected under importer/exporter gpu rather than the Intel cpu and Nvidia as well.

Reading the posts here it seems I should have a monitor connected to the Intel board, will give that a try before I do anymore updating.

Thanks for the info, I'll look at Dell updates. When I get the not compatible message using the install from Intel it basically aborts the install in the last stage. Bigger fish to fry at the moment- going to complete my current project and then "mess everything up!
You wonít get any joy out of Edius for QS if the iGPU isnít connected to run on a monitor. If you only want to see your Nvidia output and have a monitor with multi inputs. Just connect both the iGPU and Nvidia GPU to the monitor, mirror the outputs and just watch the Nvidia. This will appease Edius for QS and let you view the Nvidia GPU.

Different people have different experiences with their MB BIOS and how multiple GPUs are treated. Iíve never had such issues and as long as both active, regardless of auto etc. Itís all good.

Setting your 630 in Ediusí importer/exporter/GPU etc. isnít for activating QS.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #6
tingsern

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post

I am assuming you are using Windows 10 - and also has a nVidia GPU and an Intel GPU inside. There is nothing inside EDIUS that selects Intel GPU - you have to do that outside - before you start EDIUS. Go to nVidia desktop and force EDIUS to run under Intel GPU. Once you have done that - start EDIUS - and you will get your QS working.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
trillium

I did not install any of the Nvidia desktop software but not sure how you would force Edius to use Intel gpu from Nvidia.

I did connect my Intel chip to a monitor and now my timeline in Edius is no longer sluggish. I can use the QS function from within Handbrake - at least the option to use it is there, and I have does a test render from there with QS.

Since QS has been around for "ages" it shouldn't even be an issue, Edius should have the option to use QS built-in. I see no reason why it can't other than the programming rather than make users jump through hoops. Sorry for the rant, but it seems to be an ongoing issue for users.

I certainly appreciate the help on this forum and the users who take time to share their knowledge!
Edius 9.4
Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
John Lewis

Can you check in bios if the nvidia gpu is the main when starting pc
John Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
trillium

Thanks, I've checked the bios and left it auto for now. As noted Edius is the "mystery" as handbrake allows you to choose the encoder. I just don't get why Edius just doesn't let you select the encoder to use. I don't want to make the Intel my primary video card when I have a much more powerful Nvidia.

I can always use Handbrake to do a final encode and not wonder if Edius is using it or not. Since Handbrake is open source why not just allow Edius to talk directly to it? I do believe Edius is now seeing my Intel 630 as my timeline glitches, crashes, and "stickyness" have been resolved since I connected my Intel 630 to a monitor.
Edius 9.4
Old 06-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #10
tingsern

Hello,

On my workstation laptop, I enabled both the Intel and nVidia GPU. Make Intel GPU the main one - so EDIUS will take advantage of the Quick Sync. Then in nVidia Control Panel (or desktop) - assign the rest of the programs that uses GPU to nVidia Quadro GPU.

Just for displaying 2D stuff on the screen, the Intel GPU is more than adequate.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories