Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Roland Schulz

Default QuickSync playback/encoding bug in EDIUS 8

Hi there,
I found a QuickSync problem with EDIUS 8. I use a Win7/64 4770K CPU system, based on an ASUS Z87 Deluxe / 24GB platform. There is also a HDSPARK and a nVidia Quadro K2000 card installed (the Quadro is the primary VGA in BIOS and used for 10-bit output in Photoshop and Lightroom).
The problem depends on the version of the Intel VGA driver and addresses QuickSync timeline playback and export encoding capability. With neither driver version both works. The problem is reproducible on two different machines.

Old Intel VGA driver version V10.18.10.3412 installed (last from ASUS website for the Z87 Deluxe mainboard):
QuickSync H.264 hardware encoding is working, the checkbox for enabling the encoder is available and the encoding speed is much higher than doing encoding by software without QuickSync.
QuickSync accelerated timeline playback may be available, but performance is not good, especially when playing 4K/60Mbps files from a DJI Phantom 3 Pro multicopter. Playing 4K/60Mbps files from a Sony PXW-X70 is quite ok, but also not brillant. The EDIUS playback buffer is filling slowly. Restarting EDIUS helps a bit, but performance decreases significant with usage time especially with the DJI files. After some usage time playback buffer is running to 1/240 and playback stutters.

Current Intel VGA driver V15.36.21.64.4222 installed:
QuickSync timeline playback is a dream!!! Even the 4K DJI Phantom 3 Pro files play very smooth and the buffer fills much faster to 240/240 as with the old Intel VGA driver (there a 240/240 buffer is hardly reached, especially not with effects)!
But, same as with EDIUS 7.x, QuickSync hardware encoding can be enabled with the checkbox, but encoding is done by software only since the speed is the same as with the hardware encoder checkbox disabled!

So the old Intel VGA driver does QuickSync encoding fine but has issues with QuickSync timeline playback, the new VGA driver version does timeline playback like a dream but does, even with the checkbox activated, no QuickSync encoding on exports (same as with EDIUS 7.x).

I also have the Pegasys TMPGEnc Movie Plug-In AVC for EDIUS Pro 7 installed (GREAT thing!!). This can still be used with EDIUS 8 by simply copying the plugin from the EDIUS 7 plugin folder to the EDIUS 8 plugin folder.
The TMPGEnc plugin has the high quality x264 encoder on board, but can also use the Intel QuickSync HW encoder. The TMPGEnc plugin DOES QuickSync hardware encoding also with the current V15.36.21.64.4222 driver!!

No question there is something wrong in EDIUS 8, also in 7. Everything should work with the actual driver. I also did a clean Win7 install on a spare HDD but the problem still exists. It is reproducible with changing the VGA driver versions. The QuickSync encoding bug also is present on a Win7/64 3770K machine using EDIUS 7.5 (Geforce GTX680 as primary VGA, no HDSPARK, no TMPGEnc). Here the QuickSync encoder also only works with the old Intel VGA driver.

I rate QuickSync quality higher than the H.264 software export from EDIUS 7 (8 not tested) but lower than x264. Since QuickSync does itīs job quite fast itīs really useful for a quick look.

Moderators, please report this issue to Grass Valley to fix the bug for users without the Pegasys plugin. This should also be corrected in EDIUS 7, seems to be the same software routine.

Roland.

BTW: I already reported the EDIUS 7 problem here, thought it was the new VGA driver - seems no final solution - GV, itīs your job!!
http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34625
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Jerry

Do not use the latest Intel drivers. I'm running QS on a clean install of Edius 8 with Intel drivers from early last year.
New isn't always better.

Edius 7.5 and Edius 8 are running quite well with QS enabled and without issue.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2017, GTX 980ti Classified.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 780, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Roland Schulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Do not use the latest Intel drivers. I'm running QS on a clean install of Edius 8 with Intel drivers from early last year.
New isn't always better.

Edius 7.5 and Edius 8 are running quite well with QS enabled and without issue.
Ok, found the same for QS export earlier this year, but now QS timeline playback needs a newer VGA driver here.
Since the TMPGEnc plugin does QS export with the very newest VGA driver and EDIUS does not the issue is an EDIUS problem, at least on Z77/87 - since 7.x - no question for me.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Jerry

The plug in works fine in Edius 7.x. There isn't one for Edius 8 yet. I did uninstall Edius 7.5 and then installed Edius 8 (on a test drive). The AVC Movie plug worked on the first attempt.

Please post a link to the document that says you have to have the latest Intel driver in order for the 'Quick Sync' playback boost to work?

That feature is software enabled within Edius 8.
I see the extra push more with 4K footage in 4K projects than in HD. I can get 3 UHD tracks in E8 as compared to 2 in E7.5.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2017, GTX 980ti Classified.
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 780, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Last edited by Jerry; 07-18-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Roland Schulz

Ok, maybe try this sample project to verify:
http://www.rhs-net.com/storage/E8QSTEST.zip (copy the included folder to c: root and open the included project)

This is a FHD 24p project containing an "erratic made" QHD 24p recording with some color- and YUV adjustments. I can activate up to 3 tracks on my Z87/4770K/HDSPARK playing smoothly.

Using the old Intel VGA driver (QuickSync export can be checked in EDIUS and acceleration is present), driver reported as 10.18.10.3412 in hardware manager:
Playing the project with a restarted EDIUS 8 the buffer is going down from ~00:58:00, from ~01:15:00 buffer is running empty and stuttering appears. Starting the playback again doesnīt help, buffer doesnīt come up any more.

Using the current Intel VGA driver (QuickSync export can be checked in EDIUS but acceleration isnīt present, in contrast TMPGEnc AVC Movie plugin still does work with QuickSync acceleration), driver reported as 10.18.14.4222 in hardware manager:
Playing the project, at ~01:25:00 buffer reaches ~239/240 and holds till the end.

If both QuickSync export (much faster export than without HW encode checkbox activated) and timeline playback acceleration is present with your system please tell me your driver version.
But in the end a new software should work with a current driver (even most older versions donīt work with QuickSync HW export here), so I see GV has to do some work.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Jerry

This is a FHD 24p project containing an "erratic made" QHD 24p recording with some color- and YUV adjustments. I can activate up to 3 tracks on my Z87/4770K/HDSPARK playing smoothly.

If you're getting 3 layers of UHD with filters, be happy.

Using the old Intel VGA driver (QuickSync export can be checked in EDIUS and acceleration is present), driver reported as 10.18.10.3412 in hardware manager:
Playing the project with a restarted EDIUS 8 the buffer is going down from ~00:58:00, from ~01:15:00 buffer is running empty and stuttering appears. Starting the playback again doesnīt help, buffer doesnīt come up any more.

This doesn't happen here. I'm at full buffer by 39 seconds.

Using the current Intel VGA driver (QuickSync export can be checked in EDIUS but acceleration isnīt present, in contrast TMPGEnc AVC Movie plugin still does work with QuickSync acceleration), driver reported as 10.18.14.4222 in hardware manager:
Playing the project, at ~01:25:00 buffer reaches ~239/240 and holds till the end.

The latest driver from Intel does not tick the Hardware encode box with Edius 7.5 or Edius 8. However, I still get the same playback performance
as I did with my original driver. Do not use the latest driver.

If both QuickSync export (much faster export than without HW encode checkbox activated) and timeline playback acceleration is present with your system please tell me your driver version.

No, the latest driver does not work with Edius 7.5 or Edius 8. This has been posted on the forum many times.
My current version: 10.18.10.3496

But in the end a new software should work with a current driver (even most older versions donīt work with QuickSync HW export here), so I see GV has to do some work.

I don't see the same issues you do. I've been using this driver for quite some time and it is stable. Plus, the issue as I have said, is also in Edius 7.5. I don't know if this is a GV or Intel issue. This is just one of a few things to be fixed.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Old 07-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Roland Schulz

Quote:

This doesn't happen here. I'm at full buffer by 39 seconds.
...how could a tiny whiny bit faster 4790K be more than twice as fast as my 4770K?? OC or not - mission impossible ;-)!!

Quote:

The latest driver from Intel does not tick the Hardware encode box with Edius 7.5 or Edius 8. However, I still get the same playback performance as I did with my original driver. Do not use the latest driver.
I currently get the checkbox even with the lastest driver, but no acceleration. Have to use TMPGEnc to get QS acceleration. But that happend with many recent driver versions, not only the latest. Since TMPGEnc is working EDIUS also should, at least in a new release!

Quote:

No, the latest driver does not work with Edius 7.5 or Edius 8. This has been posted on the forum many times.
My current version: 10.18.10.3496
Could anyone of the mods please tell GV to fix this! They donīt listen me, they also didnīt with the 23.98p TC !!BUG!!...

Quote:

I don't see the same issues you do. I've been using this driver for quite some time and it is stable. Plus, the issue as I have said, is also in Edius 7.5. I don't know if this is a GV or Intel issue. This is just one of a few things to be fixed.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
GrassValley_PS

I wish we had the power to get things fixed like you seem to think we do. But unfortunately that is not reality.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Jerry

...how could a tiny whiny bit faster 4790K be more than twice as fast as my 4770K?? OC or not - mission impossible ;-)!!
Because I am running at 4.7GHz on a clean install for both Edius 7.5 and Edius 8 with a proven driver. Your best option is a clean install with a new version.
I've been building Canopus and GV editing systems since 1995. It could be hardware choices, cooling, memory settings, GPU, etc.

Why is it so important to run with the latest when, as far as I can tell, it isn't needed.

You also never provided a link to a document that says you have to have the latest driver in order for the decoding to work.

I currently get the checkbox even with the lastest driver, but no acceleration. Have to use TMPGEnc to get QS acceleration. But that happend with many recent driver versions, not only the latest. Since TMPGEnc is working EDIUS also should, at least in a new release!

Technically, the plugin isn't supposed to work in Edius 8. There may be some plugins that you have copied over that will not uninstall correctly (Boris Red for example). Good luck on that.

When I installed the latest driver, the hardware encoder wording was lit, but the tickbox was uncheck. Decoding is working and encoding is not.

Could anyone of the mods please tell GV to fix this! They donīt listen me, they also didnīt with the 23.98p TC !!BUG!!...

Good Luck with that.

Open Edius 7.5 and try the same project. How many layers do you get?
Probably 2. Do this using the driver version I'm using.
Did you try this prior to moving to Edius 8?

Decoding is working with the latest driver, encoding is not.
Did you try the driver I'm using? What were your results. I tested your project, at least do me the courtesy of trying the driver.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Last edited by Jerry; 07-19-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Roland Schulz

Because I am running at 4.7GHz on a clean install for both Edius 7.5 and Edius 8 with a proven driver. Your best option is a clean install with a new version.
I've been building Canopus and GV editing systems since 1995. It could be hardware choices, cooling, memory settings, GPU, etc.

Iīm also building my own PCīs for the same time. Factor 2 could be achieved in some cases when one system has wrong memory settings (single- instead of dual channel config), but this is not the case. I also tried a clean install as stated before, no success.

Why is it so important to run with the latest when, as far as I can tell, it isn't needed.
You also never provided a link to a document that says you have to have the latest driver in order for the decoding to work.

There is no document I know, but as I found in my own tests on my own individual config QS timeline acceleration doesnīt work with that driver I had installed for QS export, so went for a new version. The most recent version of EDIUS SHOULD work with a current VGA driver, not?!?! You also stated that it doesnīt even with several latest versions.

Good Luck with that.

No bug reporting?!?! Strange, there is something wrong and nobody is interested...

Open Edius 7.5 and try the same project. How many layers do you get?
Probably 2. Do this using the driver version I'm using.
Did you try this prior to moving to Edius 8?

Decoding is working with the latest driver, encoding is not.

No EDIUS 7.5 here any more, already gone for EDIUS 8. Simpler: Just deactivated the HD4600 VGA in the hardware manager, so no Intel VGA anymore, no QS anymore.
I can play 1 layer of my sample, the 2. already gets some glitches and buffer goes down. This is similar to EDIUS 7.5 as far as I remember.

Did you try the driver I'm using? What were your results. I tested your project, at least do me the courtesy of trying the driver.

I will do that if I find this driver version, will do a search...

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS