Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default What Blackmagic card for 10 bit output of Edius 7

I am looking to get a BMD card to output 10 Bit 1080P.

Is there any practical difference between the Intensity and Decklink range, in the way they output from Edius 7?

Is either range any better for stability?

Is there any latency between their outputs compared to the Edius GUI video overlay?

Can I use an audio out from a Windows output while using video from the BMD?

Can Edius send a 10 Bit output via the HDMI on either range?

Can Edius send a 10 Bit output via the SDI of the Deklink range?

As I am only interested in output, I am looking to buy the cheapest card in either range. Is there any issues with Edius 7 and the lowest cards in the ranges?

Sorry for all the questions. I traditionally use GV hardware but am putting together an edit only system that needs a 10 Bit output and have never used BMD cards before. Thanks in advance for any help.
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Andy

Sorry L., I don't have answers to all your questions ... but I put a bottom of the range Blackmagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor PCIe card in one of our Edius 7 PC's last week ... it works a treat for monitoring out of Edius via both HDMI and SDI ... and now I can monitor from Resolve and the Adobe CC suite apps too.

Good stuff. If I was feeling picky I might wish that Edius would release the card when the app was not the active / foreground process, so that I could switch between apps without having to quit first, but its not really a hardship.

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Sorry L., I don't have answers to all your questions ... but I put a bottom of the range Blackmagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor PCIe card in one of our Edius 7 PC's last week ... it works a treat for monitoring out of Edius via both HDMI and SDI ... and now I can monitor from Resolve and the Adobe CC suite apps too.

Good stuff. If I was feeling picky I might wish that Edius would release the card when the app was not the active / foreground process, so that I could switch between apps without having to quit first, but its not really a hardship.

Hope it helps
Andy
Thanks Andy. Do you notice any latency and can you monitor 10 Bit? Does your audio come from the computer or the Mini Monitor?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Andy

No latency problems at all. Yes, 10 bit output. I monitor audio via SDI from the card, not the PC.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Andy

Her you go, this might be helpful:
http://www.ediusworld.com/en/support..._0917-2013.pdf
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Jerry

Do you have a 10 bit panel or do you just want to see an output while using a 10 bit project setting?
Without a 10 bit panel 10bit output is still 8 bit.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2017, GTX 980ti Classified.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 780, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Liverpool TV

Thanks again Andy. The PDF is a great help. By the looks of it the Mini Monitor is what I need. Do you know if it sends out 10 Bit via HDMI? The PDF is not quite clear on the 10 Bit output being across either/or, or both the SDI and HDMI.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Do you have a 10 bit panel or do you just want to see an output while using a 10 bit project setting?
Without a 10 bit panel 10bit output is still 8 bit.
Hi Jerry. Looking at getting a 10 Bit HDMI monitor. At present I am monitoring 8 Bit from 10 Bit source.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
It should be. You have notes when its' not, like in case of Intensity PRO, when 10bit is only available for SD resolutions (for SDI and HDMI).
Even if panel is not real 10bit (bit I assume it's decent IPS panel) there is still advantage to monitor and work in Edisu at 10bit.
Yes I agree it should be, it's just that I have had experience of things not being as you think when reading literally.

Am still trying to find a proper 10 bit panel that's affordable, but a good dithered IPS would be suitable for my needs. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
David Clarke

When I set the project to 10 bit the Mini monitor outputs a picture through HDMI to my screen. My screen is 8 bit so I cannot tell if it is a true 10 bit picture but it does output, unlike the Intensity Pro that will not output from 10bit EDIUS projects.

The sound is only sent out through the SDI/HDMI in EDIUS which means you have to listed to it on the TV/Monitor you are using for output or send that output to a mixer/speakers. You won't hear anything, when in EDIUS, from the on board sound card. All the other Blackmagic cards have some kind of analogue sound output as well.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories