Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
mhar_you

Default Audio waveform in 5.12

In the previous version the waveform of the audio is only one and so visible that during multi cam I based the sync using the waveform.

In 5.12 there are already two waveform and assume that it will represent left and Right. Is there anyway that the waveform be set as only one like in 5.01 version?

Cant seem to think of any advantage of the two lines of waveform in 5.12
mhar_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Rusty

No going back to the old waveforms...
They're actually quite useful.
Live it or live with it!

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
antonsvideo

switching waveforms to log makes them bigger

switching audio track to mono1 or 2 will show large single waveform like in older versions

increasing track height will also increase waveform height

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
mhar_you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
No going back to the old waveforms...
They're actually quite useful.
Live it or live with it!
Anybody can point me the advantage of the new waveform of edius 5.12 aside from knowing that you are working with stereo audio? in the previous version Its so easy to tel when the subject will start talking and when already finished. This also help me a lot in audio sync in multicam.

tnx anton for the suggestion but having 4 camera will require a huge space in the timeline. The previous waveform can actually show the left and the right and will correspond the top and bottom part of the waveform instead of the 2 very tiny waveform which is now used in 5.12 that using my 17 inch monitor, they just seem to appear as lines and no longer a waveform(IMHO)
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
antonsvideo

have you tried setting the waveform to log? instead of linear?

I prefer linear, but because the waveforms are so small now, I was forced to force myself to start liking log, I still don't but I have no choice

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Alade

It is hard to please everybody....If I can remember clarly....many requests were made for stereo waveforms some time back, now we have it some people don't want it...there are work arounds to having it single, as mentioned by Anton I think it boils down to finding out which you like ad work with it...never bothered me.....I hardly use it......The only thing I would like is DVCapture to work as it used to before I upgraded, and an audio level with adjustments when capturing....something like 'Audio Grabber'.....other than that....Edius has come a long good way..and is all I use........

works 4 me...
Alade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
mhar_you

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
have you tried setting the waveform to log? instead of linear?

I prefer linear, but because the waveforms are so small now, I was forced to force myself to start liking log, I still don't but I have no choice
Yes I have alreadyused log instead of linear. tnx for the advice
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
mhar_you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alade View Post
It is hard to please everybody....If I can remember clarly....many requests were made for stereo waveforms some time back, now we have it some people don't want it...there are work arounds to having it single, as mentioned by Anton I think it boils down to finding out which you like ad work with it...never bothered me.....I hardly use it......The only thing I would like is DVCapture to work as it used to before I upgraded, and an audio level with adjustments when capturing....something like 'Audio Grabber'.....other than that....Edius has come a long good way..and is all I use........

works 4 me...
Your need is not the same as mine and if you dont know what I am talking and never tried it you will never know how important it is. Thats why I posted here to know if there is a way to do it.

I like stereo waveform that is usable. There are ways to do it as anton identified but have you tried it? no you dont coz you dont need it. When you expand the ht., with 3 camera, it will eat a lot of space in the timeline. I need to maintain the waveform visible to check every now and then that you are in sync while editing

Now the other one is to use the log instead of linear. There is improvement yet its not enough to really identify the waveform.

Another one is to set into mono. but hey once you place video already on the timeline you cant change the waveform anymore except if you replace the video in the timeline. (Im working on some projects from 5.01 and open it using 5.12)

By just getting a sample when restoring an audio using audio restore, I have a hard time to do sampling coz it seems that it is almost a straight line in my eye.

@Alade
Waveform is there so those who need it can use. of course you dont need it coz you just want to capture video but in my part audio is important.

Thats why I posted here to know the advantage of the new waveform to that of the older one. if there are and beneficial in my part then I have to live with it if it can override the pros on the older one. I hope somebody can tell me the benefits of the new one.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
pjsssss

I think you are the one making assumptions here that others don't use the waveforms. I don't know of any editor that doesn't use them to some degree. I use multicam all the time and I have not had any problem using the newer waveform. No doubt that I would like it larger. To me the ideal way would be to have the log more usable instead of being just one massive line. It is very hard to identify the peaks and valleys unless you switch to almost a 1 frame view.

To sync, I expand the heights of audio tracks anywhere from 3-5 until I am satisfied with the sync, then I drop them back to their normal height of 2. Later on if I need to check the sync again, I do the same thing. No big deal and takes about 10 seconds to do it.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhar_you View Post
I hope somebody can tell me the benefits of the new one.
Most of our shoots involve multiple mono sources...
shotgun, lav, ambient, P.A. feed...
all at different levels.

The stereo waveforms are a good quick view for side-by-side comparisons and edits to the visuals.
I double-click the visual edit to open in the Preview window and drag back to the Timeline where Mapped audio tracks accept the mono feeds for final tweaking.

A good aspect of Mapped mono tracks is they now normalize themselves to the Edius track preset. Compared to the original stereo track that had two audio components it comes out twice as loud
By me, this is usually how would like the mono tracks and a good thing.

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS