Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Geoff_C

I've had a similar experience after I had cloned/imaged a disk and one of my licences was used up when I tested the clone. Is it possible that you have done something similar?. I found when the clone was deactivated the licence count was decremented.

Refitting the original disk left the count correctly back at 1. There is also a monthly limit with activations/deactivations.

From memory Anton recommends deactivating before cloning.
Geoff_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #12
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_C View Post
I've had a similar experience after I had cloned/imaged a disk and one of my licences was used up when I tested the clone. Is it possible that you have done something similar?. I found when the clone was deactivated the licence count was decremented.

Refitting the original disk left the count correctly back at 1. There is also a monthly limit with activations/deactivations.

From memory Anton recommends deactivating before cloning.
Hi Geoffrey, thanks for the input.

As it happens, I usually do use disk images (Macrium) which have my Edius install on them, but this isn't the issue with this particular problem. The issue is that while my present workstation activation is fine and working, I'm away from my studio and needed to install Edius onto a laptop to work. I had forgotten, but there had been two other installs/activations of the serial before my present workstation activation. These previous ones had been on a boot SSD that died and a laptop that broke. As such, it obviously wasn't possible to deactivate and return the licenses from these machines. Hence my present dilama.

While my present situation is unavoidable, it also brings to mind another situation that can easily happen. How easy is it to forget to deregister a machine and return the activation back to the pool, before doing something else with that machine? With the amount of inevitable system tweaking, Windows issues, driver issues, roll backs etc. It isn't unreasonable to suggest that a lot of systems will go through a number of constant changes, and it's easy to forget to deregister an Edius license in the process. There's also the fact that if you haven't got a stable image, it's way easier to blast your machine and reinstall Windows rather than chase any number of real world problems that occur with using such technology. Again, in this instance it's very easy to forget to deregister your Edius. There are also many other reasons why this can happen.

On a practical note, I would like to make a point that is very real, knowing that people from GV do visit the forum. I tag all my video work with a credit to GV and Edius, this is in part a historical thank you to GV for their awesome assistance with the two features they supported my old film company with, Red Union Films. But mostly as a massive thanks to the legendary Steve Wise, who now bats for the other side :) Steve was the biggest Edius champion of them all and knew how important it was to support those who also championed the cause. That, and the fact that he is simply a genuine good egg and cool MF.

Anyway, I digress, the point is this. While I have no obligation to credit GV and Edius, their credits are on one or two million online views, across my outputs, and multiple millions on TV, Sat, DVD, BD etc. Now, I can't say how many views these next few videos will receive across their usage, but whatever they are, there won't be any mention of GV or Edius.

While my outputs and their associated credits aren't massive, everyone counts, especially for a fantastic NLE which is still surprisingly/scandalously little known within the industry and the world at large.

GV really do need to listen to certain criticisms, especially show stopping ones. For many reasons, I understand and agree with the online registration/verification model. Especially if it means that it will kill software piracy and allow potential lost earnings to be ploughed back into making something better by way of research and development, even marketing. But the process has to work, and no disrespect to GV or any other manufacturer, but the process has to work to the advantage of the customer and users of the software.

The last thing GV needs is for its champions and fanboys becoming despondent, vocalising their issues and even jumping ship.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a response from tech support.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 AM   #13
Liverpool TV

Just an update.

I've now got two of my activations back after contacting GV support via email.

I must say that this particular experience with support, as opposed to a similar experience last year, was FANTASTIC. I dealt with someone called Andy P, who was proper helpful and didn't mess about. Thank you very much Andy for being super quick sorting my issue and for being perfectly clear and concise with the emails, I massively appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
DigitalDave

Ho Ho Ho. Two years on, a similar situation to Dave
How can I recover an activation on a lost Hard Drive?
I can see it in the FlexNet list on the link that Anton posted but cannot get shot (return) it.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #15
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Ho Ho Ho. Two years on, a similar situation to Dave
How can I recover an activation on a lost Hard Drive?
I can see it in the FlexNet list on the link that Anton posted but cannot get shot (return) it.
Alright Dave.

Even after the great advice from Anton, I couldn't get any sense out of anything and ended up contacting support.

Things may be different now as far as user interaction is concerned but you may just be better off getting in touch with support quoting your account name/email and license number and ask them can they just reset it completely. Then just re-register as and when you hit a machine with Edius on it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
DigitalDave

Thanks Dave. It's all in hand. Fortunately, it's very much a legacy system so not my main system and hopefully it will get sorted before the 31 day trial is up.
Amusingly, win 7decided it would do 168 updates and when I restarted the PC two hours later, the update failed and is now reverting. More ho ho ho!
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS