Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Artimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
I do not apologise for the use of the word "paranoid" as just like installing the correct QT components, users were up in arms, hell was going to freeze over and similar, whereas the reality was no big deal. Plenty of other plugins require a periodic internet connection. It does not mean you have to be permanently connected.
I never asked for an apology. I told you I have no investment in your personal opinion about me. Naturally I don't agree with it but, that's not really important. The way I fine tune my workstation invariably leads to trouble when I allow Windows Update to treat my software as if it was theirs. This is a philosophical discussion but, I don't like the current trend of softwares trying to function as "online services" rather than products. I never liked the idea of paying for something that is never going to be mine anyway. I pay 20 years for a house mortgage and the house is mine after that. I pay 20 years for a house rent and after 20 years I get nothing. Called me old fashioned but... I prefer the idea of buying a software and at least that version being permanently mine. Of course I agree with paying for upgrades but that's different.

Nobody's paranoid for knowing what Facebook and Google do to users data, for instance. Even Acrobat is helping send personal data about your computer to Adobe and even book publishers. Softwares do monitor your usage and also collect info about your system and even your personal files. Sometimes we hear the stupid response "if you're not doing anything wrong you shouldn't worry about your privacy". To those I suggest keeping their home's and bedroom's doors open at night, and not closing any public toilet doors.

Anyway, recently I have been told by an EDIUS vendor that I could use the trial version with no limitations for 30 days, exactly as I would use the purchased version, that I intended to buy after Christmas. Today I just realized he lied in two different ways:

1. The trial version requires me to have a permanent Internet connection. Every time I close and open Edius again, it tells me I need to be online.

2. There's a *#&@ watermark in any exported files and even in the editing screen. This is simply ridiculous and retrograde!.. And I'm the paranoid one?.. Right. Most softwares don't do this anymore and furthermore the Grass Valley vendor lied. Sad...

anyway, back to my previous system image before I ever installed Edius and connected to the Internet. I'm liking AVID more every day... Even Lightworks! Quite frankly, Edius has been my favorite software since 2002 but these things are killing my interest in it. I'm still pondering buying it for being quite used to it... But probably won't.

On another note: Can we have at least the forum platform working well? I keep being logged off after a few minutes writing a reply. when I click "submit" it takes me to the login screen and then simply looses my message. Fortunately I've learned that this platform is badly designed/configured and I always copy my messages before submitting.

Last edited by Artimedia; 12-08-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:18 AM   #12
dpalomaki

Fortunately you are not required to use EDIUS, you have the option to pony up money to AVID, or ADOBE, or who ever you like.

Trial versions of software come with a variety of limitations. Time limits (session length or days since install), file or project size, save restrictions, and so on. The objective of course is to protect the developers interest in the software. Calling home is about the only way to enforce a time limitation. And watermark should not be an issue for a trail - only if the work is being sold or otherwise delivered to a customer for considerations which is beyond the intent of trial software. But if projects saved with trial versions can be opened with paid versions without issue that mitigates somewhat.

That is one of the issues with educational software, it is for educational purposes, not to be used for paid work purposes, and that is part of why there typically is no upgrade path as with normal paid standard copies. some companies don't allow low cost upgrade to software distributed with a PC either.

Much "owned" software is not actually owned, rather a (possibly) perpetual license to use that version of the software is owned and it likely comes with some restrictions, such on how many PC's it can be installed and restriction on reverse engineering or modifications.

Does the AVID's perpetual license provide updates between major versions at no cost, or do you have to have an annual support subscription for that?

Privacy is a separate issue. The Facebook/social media generations(s) have given up the ghost on that issue. And it is not some much a question of whether or not you are doing something illegal today, the track record lasts for ever. At some tomorrow when what you did yesterday is no longer politically correct you may be toast!
Old 12-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #13
GrassValley_PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimedia View Post
I never asked for an apology. I told you I have no investment in your personal opinion about me. Naturally I don't agree with it but, that's not really important. The way I fine tune my workstation invariably leads to trouble when I allow Windows Update to treat my software as if it was theirs. This is a philosophical discussion but, I don't like the current trend of softwares trying to function as "online services" rather than products. I never liked the idea of paying for something that is never going to be mine anyway. I pay 20 years for a house mortgage and the house is mine after that. I pay 20 years for a house rent and after 20 years I get nothing. Called me old fashioned but... I prefer the idea of buying a software and at least that version being permanently mine. Of course I agree with paying for upgrades but that's different.

Nobody's paranoid for knowing what Facebook and Google do to users data, for instance. Even Acrobat is helping send personal data about your computer to Adobe and even book publishers. Softwares do monitor your usage and also collect info about your system and even your personal files. Sometimes we hear the stupid response "if you're not doing anything wrong you shouldn't worry about your privacy". To those I suggest keeping their home's and bedroom's doors open at night, and not closing any public toilet doors.

Anyway, recently I have been told by an EDIUS vendor that I could use the trial version with no limitations for 30 days, exactly as I would use the purchased version, that I intended to buy after Christmas. Today I just realized he lied in two different ways:

1. The trial version requires me to have a permanent Internet connection. Every time I close and open Edius again, it tells me I need to be online.

2. There's a *#&@ watermark in any exported files and even in the editing screen. This is simply ridiculous and retrograde!.. And I'm the paranoid one?.. Right. Most softwares don't do this anymore and furthermore the Grass Valley vendor lied. Sad...

anyway, back to my previous system image before I ever installed Edius and connected to the Internet. I'm liking AVID more every day... Even Lightworks! Quite frankly, Edius has been my favorite software since 2002 but these things are killing my interest in it. I'm still pondering buying it for being quite used to it... But probably won't.

On another note: Can we have at least the forum platform working well? I keep being logged off after a few minutes writing a reply. when I click "submit" it takes me to the login screen and then simply looses my message. Fortunately I've learned that this platform is badly designed/configured and I always copy my messages before submitting.
Wow, that email was a bit harsh. To say that someone 'Lied" about that is just not right. I know that I tell people there is a 30 day pro trial version. I certainly don't go into all of the details about connecting to the internet or watermarks unless they ask about it.

Trials are just that, something to get a general idea of how the program works. It is not designed to do real work. You may or may not agree with it, but that is the way it works. If you need to know something very specific, ask.

AFA the site working, I don't see any reports of any problems and I would suspect that if that was widespread at all, we would have some reports on it. Maybe try another browser and see if that helps.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
Old 12-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
dpalomaki

Quote:
...I keep being logged off after a few minutes writing a reply,..
I see that occasionally if I have been inactive as far as posting/polling the site for a while. It may relate to disabling cookies or related browser settings that do prevent the site verifying that one is still connected except by receiving an input from the browser. A security feature at both ends.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
SoundFreak_HD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
AFA the site working, I don't see any reports of any problems and I would suspect that if that was widespread at all, we would have some reports on it. Maybe try another browser and see if that helps.
Not more an issue than on other sites but I feel it's more related to wonky internet connections at times.
If I reply short i type straight in the reply box.

For a long question or answer I normally type locally in notepad or office then copy and paste, this is what I practice with any internet forum, saved me many times from re-typing ...

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
Artimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Fortunately you are not required to use EDIUS, you have the option to pony up money to AVID, or ADOBE, or who ever you like.
I know but, as an EDIUS customer since 2002, I believe it makes sense for me to say what I like and don't like in comparison with other softwares. No?

Quote:
Trial versions of software come with a variety of limitations. [...] Calling home is about the only way to enforce a time limitation. And watermark should not be an issue for a trail - only if the work is being sold or otherwise delivered to a customer for considerations which is beyond the intent of trial software.
There are lots of software who's trial versions do not have watermarks. The time limitation is usually a built in feature (no need to call home) that deactivates the software after some time. I've always used my softwares offline and trial versions always stopped working without 'calling home'. I'm sure there are other reasons for 'calling home' but, as a loyal customer since 2002, that talk is not for me. I've been an industry professional for decades for corporate and cinema. I don't install software unless it's for selling services. What this GV representative from Portugal said (I'll avoid mentioning names) was that I could use the Trial version professionally and commercially until it was convenient for me to buy EDIUS 9 after Christmas. The purpose was precisely for me to start advancing work for my customer. I was clearly misinformed, if "Lie" is too harsh of a word. I don't wish to be rude, only firm.

Quote:
Much "owned" software is not actually owned, rather a (possibly) perpetual license to use that version of the software is owned and it likely comes with some restrictions, such on how many PC's it can be installed and restriction on reverse engineering or modifications.
That's playing with semantics. You clearly understood what I meant by "owning". My job is not reverse engineering softwares... I meant paying once to use it indefinitely (yes, in one machine is enough).

Quote:
Does the AVID's perpetual license provide updates between major versions at no cost, or do you have to have an annual support subscription for that?
AVID let's me install offline, while EDIUS doesn't and those are my qualms, as you already know. With AVID, my Workstation installation provides a code, I then go online on my Laptop and provide AVID with that code and AVID gives me an activation code that I can use to activate on my offline Workstation. I may not like the subscription model and I'm glad that that EDIUS doesn't use it. But I like even less having to connect my Workstation to the Internet, as EDIUS forces me to. And what makes it worse is that unlike the purchased version that only requires periodic connection (I understand), the Trial requires me to be online every time I start EDIUS.

Quote:
Wow, that email was a bit harsh. To say that someone 'Lied" about that is just not right. I know that I tell people there is a 30 day pro trial version. I certainly don't go into all of the details about connecting to the internet or watermarks unless they ask about it.
Like I said the representative told me I would be able to use it professionally and commercially until I bought it after Christmas. If that ends up not being true, doesn't that constitute a lie? Or do I need to use the word "untruthfulness". You see... It's not like he omitted something, he actually told me I could use it commercially just like the purchased version, with the only limitation of 30 days expiration.

Quote:
It is not designed to do real work. You may or may not agree with it, but that is the way it works.
You see, it's not I who doesn't agree. It's him who told me otherwise. Different things.

Quote:
As you may have noticed some of my my predecessors just corroborated my report. Thank you for your attention on this matter.

Last edited by Artimedia; 12-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
GrassValley_SL

GrassValley has set the EDIUS trial limitations and for now they are what they are.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS