Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
newseditor

Default Keyboard out of control with Edius 5.51

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I'm using Edius 5.51 on Windows 7. We have about 8 edit bays in a newsroom and this is happening to all of us in each edit bay.

The keys on the keyboard act like they stick and cause multiple keystrokes with one keystroke: When you type control, Z (undo), the keyboard will inadvertently undo like 20 things in a row. Iím not typing hard.. it just takes off on itís own.

Or if you use the bracket key to lay a clip down on the timeline, the command goes nuts and puts the clip on the timeline 30 times in a row and wipes out anything that existed on the timeline.

Control, T (freeze frame) will make 12 copies of the same freeze frame with one key stroke.

Iíve tried typing normal stuff in the notepad and the keyboard behaves fine in other programs like the word document..so Iím pretty sure itís not the keyboard doing this.

It's intermittent.. one time the bracket key will act normally, then the next time I use it, the key goes out of control.

It happens to everyone in every bay and every user Ė so Iím starting to wonder what the problem could be.
newseditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Could be the keyboard itself (some keyboards have "stickier" keys), or if all the machines are the same, it could be something with its USB, possibly a lack of power on the port.

I used to have a similar issue on my desktop, but it went away after I hooked up a self-powered USB hub (bus-powered didn't work).
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
pjsssss

Where are you? What type keyboard?
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
newseditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
Where are you? What type keyboard?
We're in Cleveland, OH. The keyboards have "Grass Valley PS Slim Line US" labels on the bottom of the keyboard. The logo on the top of the keyboard says logickeyboard.

The keys don't feel "sticky" - they type fine in all the other programs. It just happens in Edius.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
pjsssss

Which station? I have not had any one else have that problem with those keyboards (which is the only Edius edit keyboard that I like). How often is this happening?

Pat
Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
newseditor

Quote:
Which station? I have not had any one else have that problem with those keyboards (which is the only Edius edit keyboard that I like). How often is this happening?

Pat
WOIO. It happens daily on all the computers.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

The fact that it only happens in EDIUS makes me think it's some kind of bus contention that's causing missed or delayed "break" signal from the key (keys "make" on press and "break" on release).

You can try a different USB port.

If it has an option for PS/2 connection (and your system has PS/2) that may be more reliable.

Is the problem limited to only this particular type of keyboard? Can you try a different keyboard?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
newseditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
The fact that it only happens in EDIUS makes me think it's some kind of bus contention that's causing missed or delayed "break" signal from the key (keys "make" on press and "break" on release).

You can try a different USB port.

If it has an option for PS/2 connection (and your system has PS/2) that may be more reliable.

Is the problem limited to only this particular type of keyboard? Can you try a different keyboard?
Thanks, Brandon. These were the keyboards that came with the machines.. so as far as trying another one, I might want to try the different USB port as you suggest first, since it would be easier to do that than find a different keyboard at the station. All the bays have this same keyboard.

I'll try those suggestions and get back to you.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
pjsssss

Hi Holly. Took me a minute to find your name (good to see you here). These keyboards are all over the place and I have not heard of this before. As Brandon suggested, try another USB slot. If it doesn't work, shoot me an email.

Pat
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
newseditor

Quote:
Hi Holly. Took me a minute to find your name (good to see you here). These keyboards are all over the place and I have not heard of this before. As Brandon suggested, try another USB slot. If it doesn't work, shoot me an email.

Pat
Hi Pat,

I will drop you an email. Thanks!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories