Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Spready

Default NX Card with Pegasus Card!

Hi all,
I have now installed a Pegasus card alongside my NX Express. All are working fine but I am after suggestions on how to get round the audio preview problem...

Both cards have an internal audio cable. These end in a 4 pin female connector that plugs into the aux in on the motherboard. At the moment I only have audio preview on the NX card as thats the one plugged into the MB.

I have searched everywhere for a 1 female to 2 male audio cable but not having much luck. I am thinking of a DIY cable but wouldn't know where to start on finding out the connector type / name or what type of cable is needed.

Any suggestions appreciated

David
Spready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Spready

Default still struggling!

I am still have a few problems with this - It should be easy but can't find any cables that fit what I want...surely someone must have an idea?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
SoundFreak
Banned

when dealing with multiple audio sources you need 1 of 3 items.

1) budget solution, mechanical switcher, only allows to preview 1 stereo source.
2) Small monitor mixer, either a stereo "DJ" mixer or a "bigger" mono mixer, so that you can set individual input levels and have a common, stereo output towards the near filed monitors.
3) Multichannel audio interface that is capable to route several analog / digital sources in to a single pair of analog / digital output for monitor purposes.

of course there are more complicated surround sound set-ups, but these three cover the basic's ............

you could also do it the wrong and make Y cables by tying all the outputs together and feeding the line input of your on-board sound-card, this will produce the sound you need (minus the individual level adjustment) and could / will shorten the life spend of your output / input op-amps.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Spready

Default Thanks for the response...

Cheers Tony for the response.
I do have external switching units for other reasons but my issue is internal!...sounds painful that!

Anyway.... Both my capture cards have a small audio cable that goes from the card to the soundcard (or in my case - the MB as the soundcard is onboard).
These cables are similar to the small audio cables that come with CD-Rom drives that allow you to play audio from the CD and listen to it through the speakers.
There are cables that allow for 2 CD/DVD drives to be inputted into the soundcard but these have the wrong connectors on.

I can capture audio fine through both cards but I cannot listen to it whilst capturing using my new pegasus card. This is pretty important in my field.

Any help or further ideas appreciated.

David
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

There were unfortunately a number of standards for CD-ROM audio in the early days.
Try searching for "MPC-2 audio cable" - some of the universal ones have multiple heads.

I should warn you, however, that I have done the split (2 sources, 1 input) in the past and the audio level drops to a bad degree. If your motherboard has two audio inputs and you can connect one card to each, then you'll be fine and should be able to use the mixer to control which one you're hearing.

IIRC, the pinout is pretty simple, normally it's LGGR, and the wires are almost always color-coded - red is right, white is left.

You can also try FrontX's audio cables section, they have a variety of PC adapters and such, especially if you want to build your own breakout bay. :)
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

I would use one of the cable converters from the above link and get the signal out of the pc enclosure to switch / mix it externally, as Brandon and I mentioned, making a "Y" cable is a bad idea, besides for the unwanted drop in audio level, the sound will also be "colored" by the change in impedance, which most likely will vary during high and low audio levels.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Spready

Default Update!

All working now!
I ended up getting a new soundcard with 2 aux ins - it is similar to this one.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226543

Getting the card in was an epic as my system is now maxed out on the slot front but after a bit of fiddling and wire management I now have both NX and Pegasus audio cables running into the card giving me audio preview from both devices.

Cheers

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories