Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
rando

Default field editing workrflow

Just to see if I have this right: If I want to edit on a laptop I bring in all my footage into my main machine and import it run it proxy mode so it converts everything. Then I go to field editing check out the project where it puts the whole thing minus the hires files on a thumbdrive which I edit off of. Then I bring back the thumb drive and put it back in the original machine where I check it in to be exported in high res. Is that right?

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
GrassValley_SL

You don't have to run it in proxy mode.
Check out has options.
You can check out proxies, You can checkout only use area in Highres.

You can also chose if you want open timeline only or everything.

You can do with your workflow but it is not the only way. :)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 06-29-2011 at 01:36 PM.
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
rando

What are the advantages (if any) are there to using field edit over getting say a 64 gig flash drive and copying my whole project contents to it?

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
What are the advantages (if any) are there to using field edit over getting say a 64 gig flash drive and copying my whole project contents to it?
No flash drive will handle the necessary data rates for HD.
Try the proxy mode from thumb drive, it actually works on low-power laptops easily.
And, the output is good enough to burn a (low-rez) review DVD for clients.

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
David Clarke

If it is just 64GB copy everything onto the laptop internal drive and edit in full quality. Obviously depends on the laptop but my drives/processor can manage HD happily.

Proxy mode is useful if your laptop is not that powerful or does not have much space. The problem with a flash drive is that it will be plugged in by USB2 which is slow. However if you want to use external drives and the laptop has eSATA you could use that and it will also be fast enough.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Philip

Quote:
Just to see if I have this right: If I want to edit on a laptop I bring in all my footage into my main machine and import it run it proxy mode so it converts everything. Then I go to field editing check out the project where it puts the whole thing minus the hires files on a thumbdrive which I edit off of. Then I bring back the thumb drive and put it back in the original machine where I check it in to be exported in high res. Is that right?
Just and FYI. I have a video tutorial coming out a week from tomorrow and the subject is proxy mode for Edius. They are being released www.eventdvtv.com. My first one is out there already and covers the new Mask filter what
was said here already is in the tutorial but I go into detail regarding how it is works.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
rando

cool. I guess my question wasnt so much drive speed or proxy mode but. If I had a 64 gig thumb drive and all my footage equaled say 40 gigs. Is there a advantage in using the "Field Edit" feature of Edius 6 vs what I do now which is just put all my assets in one folder including the project file and put it on a drive and edit from it?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Philip

Quote:
cool. I guess my question wasnt so much drive speed or proxy mode but. If I had a 64 gig thumb drive and all my footage equaled say 40 gigs. Is there a advantage in using the "Field Edit" feature of Edius 6 vs what I do now which is just put all my assets in one folder including the project file and put it on a drive and edit from it?
It's going to be hard to edit much off of a thumb drive. I want to say that if proxy mode the files sizes may be small enough that one or two layers would be ok. In my tutorial I actually show the difference in file sizes. What is a 2gb clip in full rez was under 60mb in proxy mode. That's where your biggest benefit comes from. Doing masks or keyframed moves on footage or filters in proxy mode is going to see a benefit but it is not as big of a benefit as file size related tasks will be. Proxy mode is best for data intensive things like multicam. On an i7 laptop I can fluidly edit an 8 cam multicam in proxy mode (original footage was DSLR footage) off of an external USB laptop drive. On a thumb drive, the read speed may be a little slower so you would not see as big a benefit. Single layer or two layers you are probably ok. If possible I would use a laptop external 2.5" drive. USB works ok for most stuff but eSATA of course is better.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS