Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Information > Grass Valley News and Events

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
GrassValley_HY

Default My Happy Retirement

More than 20 years ago, I founded Canopus. I wanted to sell the inventions I loved creating Ė single, smart technologies and devices that could support multiple applications Ė and I needed a business to do that! One thing led to another, and soon that inspiration and innovation (made much stronger by a small team of very good engineers) led to the evolution of Canopus and our hallmark approach: offer the utmost in application, format, and media support in easy-to-use, simple, and affordable products.

My biggest hope for Canopus was that our innovation would lead to your success and prosperity. Over the years, Iíve really enjoyed talking with all of you on the Forum, and seeing you at events, parties, and other industry activities. Your feedback has been critical to the success of Canopus; youíve shared lots of it and, in turn, Iíve brought all of it back to our engineering teams.

I want to say a particular thanks to those in the WEVA community. Youíve made our companyís products much stronger. I really hope that you guys in the small event and wedding community Ė and all of our customers Ė are enjoying good business and will continue to do so.

In 2006, I sold Canopus to Thomson. I am very pleased with the integration of my team within an equally talented and hard-working team in Thomsonís Broadcast & Professional Solutions (BPS) business unit.

As this business enters a new phase of growth I feel itís time for a new generation of leaders. I feel confident that these fine people can drive the business forward and deliver superior products and solutionsĖand I can move onto my retirement.

I will consult with Thomson and the BPS business over the next several months. But before I do that, I want to share with you two of the many insights Iíll share with Thomson.

First: donít be afraid to move quickly to transition your operation to HD. With standards such as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD making HD even more accessible to consumers, the sooner you make the move, the better.

Second: there are more and more media-delivery forms and everyoneís going to have to manage more assets. So, now even the smallest operations need to think about entire workflows instead of just point products. A digital media asset management solution needs to be simple, easy to install, and easy to use. Get a basic package now and then add applications as you need them.

The team at Thomsonís BPS can help you do both these things. Please work with them. And, please accept my best wishes to you for your continued success, innovation, and prosperity.

Hiro

Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Information > Grass Valley News and Events