Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
DMS Video
Senior Member
 
DMS Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Default Thoughts on new computer... laptop versus pc

I'm filming a lot more 4K content and my current laptop pc (specs below) is struggling to do the job. It works but it's not efficient. I'm in the early stages of considering my next machine. My question is... are there any high end laptops out there that can truly handle multiple layers of 4K footage with filters and the occasional 5K clip? I film a lot of Drone footage so 5K is an option. Should I just forget about it and consider some type of beastly desktop? Specifics and/or links would be very helpful. Cheers

PS (a little off topic) I have an unopened version of Edius probably somewhere in the version 6-7 zone. Can I use that as an upgrade path on an additional machine?
__________________
David
DMS Films, New York


Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #2
BernH
Senior Member
 
BernH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. John's, NL, Canada
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS Video View Post
I'm filming a lot more 4K content and my current laptop pc (specs below) is struggling to do the job. It works but it's not efficient. I'm in the early stages of considering my next machine. My question is... are there any high end laptops out there that can truly handle multiple layers of 4K footage with filters and the occasional 5K clip? I film a lot of Drone footage so 5K is an option. Should I just forget about it and consider some type of beastly desktop? Specifics and/or links would be very helpful. Cheers

PS (a little off topic) I have an unopened version of Edius probably somewhere in the version 6-7 zone. Can I use that as an upgrade path on an additional machine?
Laptops generally are less powerful than a desktop. This is done to try to use less power from batteries and run cooler so things don't overheat in the confines space of the laptop.

If you want to edit multiple streams of 4K and higher in real time with Edius, you really should consider a desktop system, with as fast a processor as you can get, probably also with quicksync capabilities so the intel GPU can help with decode, as a lot of 4K material is either H264 or H265 encoded.

Keep in mind that each 4K stream as akin to trying to play back 4 heavily compressed HD streams simultaneously, so multiple 4K's would be like 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc. of these heavily compressed HD streams. This requires serious CPU/GPU decode horsepower, and fast enough drives to sustain the bandwidth, that are also large enough to hold all the large 4K files. Conversion to HQX can reduce the required decode power, but will require even larger and faster drives. The drive requirements are also a strike against a laptop, as you would likely need either a large direct attached SSD, or an HDD raid array to handle the the size and bandwidth required for multiple streams. Anything in an external chassis capable of connecting to a laptop probably would not allow the full bandwidth of the drive to be used, unless the chassis is Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1, or USB-C, all three of which are available but not common on current pc laptops, but there is no guarantee that the chassis will supply full bandwidth either.

The last I checked on desktop processors, the Intel I7 9900K's seemed to be the best out there to allow for both CPU and Quicksync GPU decode. Perhaps some other uses can chime in on this point.

I don't know how many 4K streams users are seeing from these systems, but I would be surprised if they are getting more than 3 sustained streams for any kind of duration (more likely 2 real time streams sustained, probably 1 if using anything beyond basic effects and transitions). Once again, perhaps some other uses can chime in on this point.
__________________
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Jerry
Senior Member
 
Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orange City, FL
Posts: 11,547
Default

Hey Dave, been a while. From your post you give me the impression that you would prefer a laptop.

What you need then is a desktop replacement. They are available, but get your wallet out.

I would check out Sager laptops.
https://www.sagernotebook.com/Best-Gaming-Laptop/
You can customize the laptop to what you need.

The 9900k is available. In October the 9900kf is being released that will do 5Ghz on all cores(no hyperthreading).
You should be able to use your version to upgrade to 9.5 with the additional plus of getting Edius 10 free.
Also look at the Alienware 51-M. It has some parts that can be swapped out after sale. One is the GPU.
__________________
Jerry
Six Gill DV
www.sgdvtutorials.com
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Last edited by Jerry; 09-17-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 AM   #4
DMS Video
Senior Member
 
DMS Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Laptops generally are less powerful than a desktop. This is done to try to use less power from batteries and run cooler so things don't overheat in the confines space of the laptop.

If you want to edit multiple streams of 4K and higher in real time with Edius, you really should consider a desktop system, with as fast a processor as you can get, probably also with quicksync capabilities so the intel GPU can help with decode, as a lot of 4K material is either H264 or H265 encoded.

Keep in mind that each 4K stream as akin to trying to play back 4 heavily compressed HD streams simultaneously, so multiple 4K's would be like 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc. of these heavily compressed HD streams. This requires serious CPU/GPU decode horsepower, and fast enough drives to sustain the bandwidth, that are also large enough to hold all the large 4K files. Conversion to HQX can reduce the required decode power, but will require even larger and faster drives. The drive requirements are also a strike against a laptop, as you would likely need either a large direct attached SSD, or an HDD raid array to handle the the size and bandwidth required for multiple streams. Anything in an external chassis capable of connecting to a laptop probably would not allow the full bandwidth of the drive to be used, unless the chassis is Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1, or USB-C, all three of which are available but not common on current pc laptops, but there is no guarantee that the chassis will supply full bandwidth either.

The last I checked on desktop processors, the Intel I7 9900K's seemed to be the best out there to allow for both CPU and Quicksync GPU decode. Perhaps some other uses can chime in on this point.

I don't know how many 4K streams users are seeing from these systems, but I would be surprised if they are getting more than 3 sustained streams for any kind of duration (more likely 2 real time streams sustained, probably 1 if using anything beyond basic effects and transitions). Once again, perhaps some other uses can chime in on this point.
Thanks for such a detailed response. I'm going to dig-in to it after I finish editing later tonight.
__________________
David
DMS Films, New York


Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
antonsvideo
Senior Member
 
antonsvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 21,919
Default

Keep in mind that all cores are often used at 100% and it is way easier to keep such a CPU cool with water cooling on a desktop
__________________
Anton Strauss
Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
DMS Video
Senior Member
 
DMS Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Hey Dave, been a while. From your post you give me the impression that you would prefer a laptop.

What you need then is a desktop replacement. They are available, but get your wallet out.

I would check out Sager laptops.
https://www.sagernotebook.com/Best-Gaming-Laptop/
You can customize the laptop to what you need.

The 9900k is available. In October the 9900kf is being released that will do 5Ghz on all cores(no hyperthreading).
You should be able to use your version to upgrade to 9.5 with the additional plus of getting Edius 10 free.
Also look at the Alienware 51-M. It has some parts that can be swapped out after sale. One is the GPU.
Hi Jerry. It has been a while. Hope you're doing well. I think in a somewhat perfect world I would prefer a laptop but I'm leaning towards a desktop again so I can have more power. I'm in the very early stages of just seeing what's going on in the world of computers nowadays. Then I have to see what I can manage that doesn't affect potentially retiring at some point, lol. I'll be contacting and old friend at some point to get his thoughts as well. Cheers
__________________
David
DMS Films, New York


Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #7
DMS Video
Senior Member
 
DMS Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
Keep in mind that all cores are often used at 100% and it is way easier to keep such a CPU cool with water cooling on a desktop
I can't argue with that
__________________
David
DMS Films, New York


Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
Thor
Senior Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 761
Default

And towers have a lot of room to customize additional components, etc., and it's easier to support multiple monitors.

I've never used a laptop for editing, so maybe I'm biased!

I think the average desktop lasts longer than the average laptop.
__________________
Regards,

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #9
DMS Video
Senior Member
 
DMS Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
And towers have a lot of room to customize additional components, etc., and it's easier to support multiple monitors.

I've never used a laptop for editing, so maybe I'm biased!

I think the average desktop lasts longer than the average laptop.
This last couple of years I've done most of my editing on a laptop. I should have gone with a desktop so lesson learned.
__________________
David
DMS Films, New York


Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
David Clarke
Senior Member
 
David Clarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uk
Posts: 2,713
Default

I use a laptop all the time but you have to accept that they are not as powerful as desktops and more costly to fix. In addition to the above I would say:
  • The laptops that have 9900K desktop processors don't generally have Quick Sync and QS makes quite a huge difference if using H.264 footage.
  • The ones I have used with 9900K and a good nVidia graphics card are actually pretty noisey.
  • Getting a decent i/o device is harder. I have had issues with BM's USB3 devices on many laptops. Thunderbolt is better but still times there are problems.
For me the big advantage is I can use it anywhere but when back at base I can plug in 3 PC screens and a keyboard and use it like a regular PC.
__________________
EDIUS silver certified trainer.
Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
 
Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burned DVD only work on Pc/Laptop but not DVD player reillyt EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories 5 10-27-2017 06:38 AM
Using Storyboard in Mync on a laptop on a 2nd PC Alpha Video MYNC 4 09-07-2017 10:04 AM
Opinions on my thoughts on a computer upgrade, please Drbgaijin EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories 14 12-07-2015 10:42 AM
Activating Offline PC from an online laptop KostasMetaxas Editing with EDIUS 3 12-16-2012 10:28 PM
EDIUS 6.51 for 2 PC Desktop & Laptop enotov Editing with EDIUS 1 07-30-2012 11:29 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Copyright 2014 Belden Inc. All rights reserved.