Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
number88

Default edius pro 3, procoder express and procoder 2

My questions are,
-is their any advantage in installing edius pro 3 before procoder 2, or vice versa?
Since I have procoder 2, when installing edius pro 3, would it be best to not install the included procoder express? I'm thinking perhaps installing procoder express with edius pro 3 might result in tighter integration of those 2 programs, but I notice if I do install procoder express with edius pro 3, then install procoder 2, procoder 2 does not overwrite procoder express...so I'm inclined to not install the procoder express, but not sure if that's best. Thanks for any insight.

This part is not necessary to read, but I'm moving all my stuff to a new computer and want to do it right. One thing I found while trying to install procoder 2 on windows xp with service pack 2. I had a bit of trouble at first because during procoder installation I found that I needed to get the aksusb.sys file. From what I have read, apparently one or more of the windows xp upgrades deletes that file, so I went to http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/hasp4/enduser.asp and downloaded their HASP4_driver_setup.zip file. That worked and I can now install procoder 2.
number88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
number88

after some more looking around, I think I found the answer. In the procoder 2 manual it says one of the recomended requirements is edius, if using the export plug in. Sorry for not looking more closely at the manual first, but when you've been at the computer for severl hours that can happen. So I installed edius pro 3 first, without installing procoder express, then when I was installing procoder 2 I saw the option to install the edius plug in, which I did. So that sounds like the best way to go.

Only thing is ,when i played back an avi file in windows media player that i made with edius on my old computer, it looked a bit stretched vertically, and the sides of the avi clip didn't stretch all the way to the ends of my wide screen monitor, which I guess explains why it looks vertically stretched. Is there a setting I can adjust to get the avi files to work properly in windows media player? I guess this is a bit off topic for the procoder section, so if no answer I'll understand. Maybe I can figure it out tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

In short, not really. The AVI container format doesn't have a standard method to include pixel or display aspect ratio. Thus, everything is displayed assuming square pixels. Microsoft DV files in modern Windows Media Player are exceptions, and WMP will obey the widescreen flag in the DV stream.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
number88

Thanks for the help Brandon. One more question if/when you have time just to make sure I understand...So if I edit an avi file with edius and save or export it with procoder, it will play correctly on WMP as long as it's played back on the computer it was edited/saved on? .. because somewhere on that computer is the information WMP needs to play it back at the correct ratio? Hopefully I've got that right because I'm sure the avi files were playing properly on the old computer. If that's not correct then I'm very confused. :)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
In short, not really. The AVI container format doesn't have a standard method to include pixel or display aspect ratio. Thus, everything is displayed assuming square pixels. Microsoft DV files in modern Windows Media Player are exceptions, and WMP will obey the widescreen flag in the DV stream.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Here's how it works for AVIs in WMP...
If it's a Microsoft DV AVI (FourCC = dvsd), then WMP checks the widescreen flag. If it's 16x9, it plays in 16x9. Otherwise it plays in 4x3.
Older WMP versus just played square-pixel, which ends up being 3:2 for NTSC DV and 5:4 for PAL DV, neither are the correct 4:3 aspect (or 16:9 aspect for widescreen).

If it's not a Microsoft DV AVI (but it's still an AVI), then WMP will play back square-pixel, at whatever resolution the CODEC reports the video is in. This is important in the case of Canopus DV AVIs, because the Canopus DV CODEC reports widescreen DV AVIs as either 856x480 (NTSC) or 1024x576 (PAL). The actual data contained in the AVI itself is still DV, so the resolution is either 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). The Canopus DV CODEC just reports the odd dimension so WMP will play it back at the correct aspect.

Of interesting note here is that the Canopus DV CODEC still reports non-widescreen DV as 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL), so non-widescreen Canopus DV CODEC AVIs still play back at the wrong 3:2 or 5:4 aspect. Fun eh?

The same file should play back the same way on the two machines, assuming both machines are using the same CODEC for decoding and they have the same version of Windows Media Player.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
number88

Thanks very much Brandon. That narrows it down for me. I thought I must have the same codecs on the new machine since I moved edius pro and procoder to it, and am sure the old machine had WMP 11, but now that I know where to keep looking for the glitch I'll eventually find the problem. Maybe I'll install the canopus playback codec pack to start.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Don't install the playback codec pack on a machine that has EDIUS or ProCoder 3, as both already include the Canopus HQ codec!

Beyond that, good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
number88

Ok Brandon...thanks again for your time and help! ...will reply later after I try some things.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
number88

Well I mostly finished setting up my new computer, so I can now add a bit more information,.. not that I'm looking for any comments but I did say I would add more information later so I loaded up one of the clips in procoder to see what it says:
length 20.09
video frame 720x480
frame rate 29.97
video codec AVI Decompressor (CUVC)
interlacing lower\bottom field first
aspect ratio video: [16:9], pixel: [6:5]

...so those settings are for the source file...

then for the target file, in the left panel I chose DV --- AVI
and on the right panel, I chose AVI - Canopus DV (AVI2) - NTSC - WideScreen
after choosing the above I'm presented with the following settings:
the box beside where it says "use profile" is checked
for "select profile", it shows "Canopus DV NTSC"
the aspect ratio is set to 16 x 9,
and for "encoder", it shows "canopus DV"

I don't think any of the other settings I see would be relevant to the problem.

So I played that resulting target file and it plays at the correct 16 x 9 format in WMP, with the video reaching to the ends of my widescreen monitor.

Then I loaded up that file in procoder as the source file to see what it says, and I see
DV Mode Standard DV
DV Format DV\DVCAM
Video Frame Size 856 x 480
frame rate 29.97
video codec Canopus DV

Also, the size of the new file is 75,313 KB, where the original is 49,389 KB.

Anyway, no need to comment, unless you'd like to...I'm just updating what I think is the relevant information. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the AVI Decompressor (CUVC) codec being used to decode the original source file, and the Canopus DV codec being used to decode the new version? I did a bit of searching and the CUVC codec is the canopus HQ codec. I remember using canopus HQ when working with edius in my old computer, but now that I have edius installed on this new computer, maybe there's something preventing WMP from working with the canopus HQ codec? Is it possible that not installing procoder express (which is on the edius installation disc) is the problem? ... because on my old machine I had both procoder express and procoder 2 installed.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If the original file is Canopus HQ codec, then it won't play back properly in WMP unless it's square-pixel (1920x1080, 1280x720, 1024x576, 856x480, etc).
Most Canopus HQ files aren't square-pixel. Usually they're HDCAM/XDCAM/HDV resolution 1440x1080 or DVCPRO HD resolution 1280x1080.

It really sounds like your source is Canopus HQ. Easy way to check is to use GSpot on the source file.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder