Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Haddock

Default Capturing with Edius in microsoft AVI

Some clients want only "digitilizing" their video cassette or film and want to receive a "universal" readable files on any computer.

Capturing with Edius (analogic or via DV) gives in the properties "Canopus DV.avi".

I know that there is also Microsoft DV : AVI Files Containing One DV Data Stream (Type-1)

Is it possible to choose this microsoft DV codec during while capturing with Edius ???

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
7hbg

Interesting problem:
  • In EDIUS 8.5x you can set the project to use MSDV codec.
  • You can Export using MSDV codec.
  • But you can’t capture using MSDV codec.
So the quick answer is: no.

But, do you not have to clean it up, trim the start and the end of the videos?
If you do, then it makes no difference what codec you use to capture with as long as when exporting it to DV AVI you tick the “Use MSDV Codec” check box.

Click to Enlarge
Old 02-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Some clients want only "digitilizing" their video cassette or film and want to receive a "universal" readable files on any computer.
Why not to go with h264. This is even more flexible/acceptable than any DV codec.
Lada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
dpalomaki

If you have to do any editing, color correction, noise reduction, stabilization, and other cleanup, it is better to capture in as lossless a format as you can, do the clean up, then export to the final lossy distribution format. MP4/H.264 is arguably the most universal distribution format for today.

What are you using to capture the analog video sources to a digital format.

Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 02-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lada View Post
Why not to go with h264. This is even more flexible/acceptable than any DV codec.
Interesting. I have been providing MSDV on USB sticks to clients, who are not editors. Are you saying h264 is useable by most people or other editors, or both?

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Interesting. I have been providing MSDV on USB sticks to clients, who are not editors. Are you saying h264 is useable by most people or other editors, or both?
I got the OP issue as to provide the most versatile file to be watched everywhere e.g. PC, TVs, Playstation, Android boxes …

Of course if it was intended as to provide a good quality video for further editing than I would suggest to use Canopus Codec. This can be added to the video USB stick/HDD or as a link where to download.
Lada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
David Clarke

Nearly everything loads MP4 H.264 files (as long as the are 8 bit), which makes it a good codec for playback but it is highly compressed so the quality will deteriorate quicker if re-editing.

DV is less compressed, and most things can read it, so better if re-editing.

Uncompressed is the cleanest but takes up a lot of space. There are also quite a few varieties of uncompressed and some don't load into some programs.

GV AVI are great because they are clean and not very compressed but I am not starting to have problems loading them into some programs. The latest versions of Premiere will sometimes load up my GV AVI files and sometimes not (this is loading the same files on the same machine in the same project!). Obviously an Adobe problem but not one they will every look at.

GV MOVs used to be good because there was a free codec but Apple have changed the way video is done on a MAC and Windows programs stopped using QuickTime for Windows and instead use their own native support which means now these will not load into many programs.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
GV MOVs used to be good because there was a free codec but Apple have changed the way video is done on a MAC and Windows programs stopped using QuickTime for Windows and instead use their own native support which means now these will not load into many programs.
Wow! While my English surely is not the worst on earth, I literally had to read this sentence twice to understand its meaning. ;-) David, I always appreciate your technical expertise and opinion, but please: a punctuation mark every now and then helps the non-native English speakers here to structure the phrases and translate it in order to understand the meaning of the words - particularly when it's getting technical anyway.

This is not a complaint, but a constructive request - or a reminder for all you native English speakers here (I wish I was, for so many tutorials and lectures would be much easier to understand). Please note the smiley that is definetely not in an angry condition: :-)
Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
David Clarke

Ok.. GV MOVs used to be good but stuff has changed and now they are not good. :-)
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hbg View Post
Interesting problem:
  • In EDIUS 8.5x you can set the project to use MSDV codec.
  • You can Export using MSDV codec.
  • But you can’t capture using MSDV codec.
So the quick answer is: no.

But, do you not have to clean it up, trim the start and the end of the videos?
If you do, then it makes no difference what codec you use to capture with as long as when exporting it to DV AVI you tick the “Use MSDV Codec” check box.

Click to Enlarge
Thanks for these precize answer... it was what I expected, now I am certain

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS