Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Spready

Default Pegasus DVI Problem

Hi all,
a new issue has arisen - any info / help greatly appreciated (as always).

I have just upgraded my Video playback PC.
OS - Win7 pro 32bit
Gfx XFX Nvidia GTX 250
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-XFX-GTS-250-2000MHz-GDDR3-GPU-680MHz-Shader-1836MHz-128-Cores-1-x-D-Sub-HDMI-Dual-Link-DVI

On my previous system (XP and a lower specced Nvidia card with 2 x DVI) I ran 1 DVI to my Monitor and 1 DVI to a HDMI adaptor.
This was then connected into the Pegasus card which is situated inside my Edit / Capture PC.
All worked very well and as it should.

The new card has 3 outputs (HDMI / DL-DVI-I / RGB)
This, I believe, should work...but doesn't -
HDMI - not used
DVI - to HDMI adaptor and into Pegasus
RGB - to monitor
Set RGB to primary clone
Set HDRecs to secondary clone

The HQ Recorder software does NOT pick up a signal at all on the DVI input.
I have tested all leads and input / output configurations but can only get the DVI signal detected if I change the gfx card settings to a HD TV setting and select this same resolution in the HDMI setting in HQ Recorder.

It seems that the gfx card configuration software automatically detects that a HDMI adaptor has come into play and as such does not allow the DVI PC resolution.

I hope this has made sense - I have spent 2 days on this now and can't seem to find a solution, other than downgrading my gfx card - which seems a backward step!

A lot of software for playing back CCTV locks to the top left of the primary monitor so they (monitor and HDRecs) need to be cloned rather than side by side. For this reason I cannot use the HDMI Pal resolution output.

If anyone else has seen this with new gfx cards then please let me know - will make me feel better anyway!

Cheers as always
David
Spready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Your issue likely isn't the hardware - it's your OS.

Windows 7 made huge changes to the way video is handled, especially full-screen video playback. DVI and HDMI output require the connected device to be HDCP-compliant, which the Pegasus is not.

You might want to look at an HDfury3 or a similar converter to change the signal just before it gets to the Pegasus.

Oh wait... you need PC resolution? Why not use the RGB input on Pegasus?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Spready

Default !!

Cheers Brandon

Bloody Windows!
That all makes sense now..I am using RGB at the moment but am sure that I can see a few more added artifacts around text and adjoining colours.
The main issue is that my RGB is already looped as it goes through a Scan Converter for output to a JVC DVM700 DVD Recorder. I was trying to avoid using that signal for my capture.

I am going to do another test this morning and compare the RGB captures using the same source video.
I will use the HDMI Pal setting and not clone screens. I will then run a VMware in the clone and capture that.

I can then see what artifacts are produced.

Thanks for your reply
I will post results for other peoples knowledge

Edit:
Ok that didn't work as the audio now doesn't come through!
Proving to be a complete PITA!

Feel as if upgrading to Win7 was a bad idea

Last edited by Spready; 06-08-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

What resolution do you need to capture? If it's a video resolution, DVI/HDMI->HDfury3->Pegasus component should work.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Spready

Default Interesting Little Gadget

Evening Brandon, (or at least it is here in the UK).

Thanks for all your help with this one.
I really like the Pegasus Card as it does answer alot of questions when trying to capture video into a standard format for CCTV Analysis, Viewing and eventually output creation.

Its such a shame though, that restrictions are put on us by others that basically make what was once simple, a real problem.

I have settled on the RGB capture but need to do a bit more tweaking as it is suffering from bleading and looks a little washed out.
The DVI captures on XP were great so its a real shame to have to make do with something that I know could be better.

The HDFury, although a very clever gadget won't assist as I need standard 4:3 PC Resolutions.(I will bear it in mind for the future though).
Although the majority of Digital CCTV is way below this size, alot of systems display their date/time information outside of the video so being able to capture this at the same time is really handy.

Its still a confusing situation though as when the DVI lead is plugged into my standard monitor, the gfx card control panel reports that it is NOT HDCP capable, although it displays the monitor type correctly and the image is displayed as it should.
Plug it into the Pegasus and again, the gfx card control panel reports it as a monitor, displays the HDRecs monitor name and appears to be working as it should. The problem then comes at the Pegasus end when you can't get the image to be displayed.
Change it to a TV Resolution under the HDMI settings in Pegasus and you get a picture...although as I said earlier - with no sound!

Thanks again for your insite

David
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Oh? So you do get picture in video resolution?

Hmm. In that case it sounds like the Pegasus/HDRECS just doesn't like the resolution and/or refresh rate it's being fed.

Since you're cloning, you're in a similar situation we run into at tradeshows quite often when we clone DVI out to a plasma and simultaneously have it on a desktop display.

Because the two often aren't the same native resolution, usually we end up playing with the resolutions until we find one that looks good on the plasma, even if it looks weird on the desktop, as the plasma is what our audience is looking at.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Spready

Default Success - It was the graphics driver!

Hi all,
Just an update.

It turned out to be the graphics driver.
I have updated to the latest Nvidia driver and the ability to change the HDMI to Audio disabled is now working.
This now lets the picture through...at last!

Crystal clear captures have now returned.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Hooray!! Glad to hear it's working again.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus