Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #11
THoff

Service Packs are free to all existing users, they generally include a few new features in addition to all of the security and bug fixes since the previous release -- either the original OS or another Service Pack. In the case of Vista SP2, there are some nice enhancements like Blu-Ray burning support, a new Bluetooth stack, better Wi-Fi support etc.

Windows 7 is a new operating system that has cost Microsoft hundreds of millions to develop, and is not free to existing Windows Vista owners. The Windows 7 HAL supports more cores than Vista can and does a better job of scheduling processes on multi-CPU and multi-core systems, something that will become very important in the years to come. It supports 48-bit color and wide gamut output devices. It supports virtual hard disks that you can actually boot from. It also takes away some things, both APIs and features like Windows Mail.

Just because someone in the world-wide electronic loony bin says that Vista SP2 and Windows 7 are the same doesn't mean that they are. I'm not sure if that was wishful thinking or FUD, but whoever wrote it has no credibility. A little bit of critical thinking should make that clear.
THoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
swsw1550

Thank's Thoff good to know, I was just also reading a bit about the SP2 for Vista and how they have made performance changes to make Vista run quicker, i.e loading ect and better hardware support, I won't use it but until they do the full release but will be interesting to see what performance issue's they have fixed.

Steve

I have read that they have added and made a few changes to the registry in SP2 for Vista.
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #13
swsw1550

Thoff have you by any chance installed SP2 for Vista and if so how did it go?

Steve
Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #14
THoff

Yes, I've installed the Vista SP2 beta for testing -- the installation was quick and uneventful in all cases and I haven't found any problems with the applications I have tried, but Edius wasn't among them, and I am not in a position to test it.
THoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Leonidas

Yesterday I installed Windows7 in my crate (P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 8800GT 1GB).
Everything work fine, exept from the soundcard (SB Live 5.1). The sound has a minor distortion. Anyway....

Edius works just fine... The responce was good and the few actions I did were performed with no problems.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
swsw1550

I would like to know if the HD-Storm and Firecoder Blu which I own will work,
I had a look at Windows 7 on a few google sites, it's just like Vista, people say if you don't like the Vista Vaneer don't bother with Windows 7, anyway when they release it, it will be interesting to see what will work and what won't as people waited along time for Vista drivers with a lot of hardware manufactures, an also software.

Steve
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
The Dane

Default Windows 7 and EDIUS 5.01 with SP hardware.

I have played around with windows 7 64bit for a week now. Not much different to vista, but seems to run OK. Except for the issues below.

Hardware support is weary bad. The opportunity to install your own driver does not exist. If windows think it has the right driver, it refuses to install yours…even if you turn of, the auto install feature in windows properties, it will still force to install, its own driver.. I have major problems with my SP hardware, the raid driver on my mainboard, a promise SATA driver and my floppy drive.
The SP hardware installs, but the HD expansion card is not seen, as a consequence of this, I have no HD hardware support. A wrong driver for the onboard raid is loading, this means that write speed is limited to 6 -8 MB sec… The system sees my floppy drive, but can’t see the floppy disk in it. Because the floppy don’t work, I am not able to install the driver for an ad on Promise SATA card, running my backup disks.

I have installed Windows 7 on a removable harddisk. Under installation windows downloaded nearly all drivers. I will try to, reformat the disk, and make a new installation, with the net cable disconnected. Install all the drivers I have locally, and let windows download the ones I don’t have.
Maybe this will solve some of the problems.

One thing should be mentioned though. The driver win7 found for my graphic card, is running fine, actually better than the on I have running in my XP 32bit system.

My 15 years old kid is running a dual boot, vista / win7 32bit, on his laptop. On this system win7 runs excellent, with no problems at all. Actually he has got rid of some of the bugs he had in vista.

My conclusion is that if you have a standard pc, win7 is OK, but if you have a special configuration, it is not working.. The main reason to this, is not the lack of compatibility or missing drivers, but that everything in win7 seems to be automated, and the opportunity to make your own configuration, does not exist.

If I install new hardware in win XP I always get a notification if I want windows to find the driver, then I can say no and run the driver disk that came with the hardware.
In win7, it is like using a thumb drive for the first time. New hardware found, windows installing, installation completed. If I then want to update the driver, windows says the correct driver is already installed, and no opportunity to force installation anyway.
A remark on drivers. It seem that most vista 64bit, and even some XP 64bit drivers is working under win7 64bit. I am using a XP 64bit driver for the onboard sound.

A question:
Is anyone running vista 64bit with the original SP hardware and the HD expansion card, not SDI.
I suspect the 64bit driver in EDIUS 5.01 is not supporting the HD expansion card, if this is so, the problems with my SP hardware, is not related to win7.
The problem is seen in the project setting dialog box, where all HX-E1 settings is only SD, all HD settings is only OHCI supported.

I will be back, when I find time to make the new installation.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
swsw1550

Alot of people are saying if you don't like the look of vista you won't like Windows 7 as it looks the same, I think I will just wait for vista SP2 release which is meant to have alot of performance inprovements for Vista 64bit and the 32bit user's.

Steve
Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
antonsvideo

yes, I have a Vista laptop since October last year and I still don't like the changes Microsoft made over XP, they made things harder to see and made users do many steps to achieve what XP did in one step

I am not sure what drugs they were on when they made Vista

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
tingsern

I don't understand why folks are, well, so anti-Vista ... I don't see any performance hits comparing VISTA with WIN XP 32. In fact, I rate VISTA 64 much much faster than WinXP 32 ... comparable in speed to WinXP 64.

Cavert - I have 24GB RAM ...
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS