Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
dpalomaki

Quote:
...a future proof system. What do you think?
No such thing as future proof, you just can push the date the future arrivves out a bit further.

Budget it the key question. And which apps you intend to run, and other issues such as UHD perhaps, and how much time you are willing to wait in exchange for a lower cost but slower system.

If this is not for business purposes with hard deadlines - you have a lot more freedom. Consider the number of people who are still using Edius 5.x or 6.x.

Sometimes, as a hobbiest we may want to upgrade for the fun of it, not because there is a hard core need to do so.

A top processor these days goes for over $1,000 or so. But it may make more sense to spend $250 now for a processor that will handle things for 2 years, and in two or three years another $250 or so for the main stream processor then.

Not sure how serious the Intel/AMD bug really is for a consumer level use machine, unless you are doing confidential personal financial stuff on it. On may well be at greater risk if using social networking sides and things like Cortana.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Long John Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Not sure how serious the Intel/AMD bug really is for a consumer level use machine, unless you are doing confidential personal financial stuff on it. On may well be at greater risk if using social networking sides and things like Cortana.
I'm sure the bug isn't serious except for datacenter machines where one machine hosts thousands of site/users hence a malicious program can read data into other apps memory.

Problem is that MS , Apple and others are distributing patches to mitigate the bug via the normal updates and these patches slow down the cpu. How much? Nobody knows for sure. Intel/AMD are not disclosing too much info. It seems that slow down is nearly undetectable on Kaby/Coffee CPUs but could reach 30% on older CPU models. It depends on the kind of application.

Another problem is that MS and Apple did not disclose exactly which updates contains these patches so, from a user POV it's difficult skip the installation.
Long John Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Long John Silver

I revive this old thread again.

Two months ago a lightning hit my house: everything connected to my house wiring was melted or damaged so was my "nearly" new home editing desktop. It was a i8700K with a Samsung ssd and two WD Red in Raid0. The gpu was an Invidia gtx 1050.
I was lucky to have a full backup at my office so data are safe.

So here I am again with the same old question...
Here 99% of questions are about high end workstation but it's not my case. I film/edit for fun. Usually I edit GH4/GH5 files in UHD. A couple of tracks with some filter. Single monitor.

I see that now SSD are way cheaper and M2 ssd are becoming popular. nedless to say that I'm a bit on a budget right now but I could always use the old meme "for an additional 4.95 we will provide a receipt that matches what you told your spouse you paid" ;)

In the end what I can build nowadays with the above requirements?

Thank you in advance
Old 04-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
scroogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long John Silver View Post
" for an additional 4.95 we will provide a receipt that matches what you told your spouse you paid" ;)
Thank you in advance
:)
any chance to salvage parts from the ashes of the old machine? even a smoked but working power supply helps in "telling the spouse some money has been spared"
Asus Prime X370-PRO, RYZEN 1800X liquid cooled, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia Dual-GTX1060-O6G, O.S. disk Samsung M.2 250GB, Media disk 1TB SSD, Temp disk 500GB, Edius 8 Pro
on field rough cut: LapTop ASUS N580GD 15,6", i7-8750H (Quick Sync), 16GB DDR4, GTX1050 4GB, 512GB SSD PCIe M.2 + 1TB HD, Edius 8 Pro
scroogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #15
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroogie View Post
:)
any chance to salvage parts from the ashes of the old machine? even a smoked but working power supply helps in "telling the spouse some money has been spared"
Indeed. Some parts may still be fine.

The ones on the front line are probably toast, most notably the power supply, but if the supply blew before any surge got past it, the rest of the components stand a chance of being ok. Since the power supply is only "high voltage" component in a computer, there is a good chance it may not have passed any damaging voltages to it's low voltage side that feeds the rest of the system.

I would start a with visible inspection of the motherboard to see if any components look like they are burned, cracked, popped open, etc., and if not, I would then move onto putting in a new supply to see if the rest of the system comes to life.

If it does not boot, it is possible the regulators on the mother board took an over voltage but did not fry or crack open, in which case, I would then start swapping parts into another system to check them.

Most cards, aside from GPU's, get power from the motherboard, so they stand an even grater chance of being ok. The CPU and RAM also get power from regulators on the motherboard, so like these other cards, have an extra layer of protection via the motherboard regulators and filter caps.

Motherboards, hard drives and GPU's are at the greatest risk, as they draw power from the power supply.

You never know, but your system may only require a $100 power supply to make it work again (or a spare if you have one at hand).
Edius WG 9.40.4896, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
Long John Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Indeed. Some parts may still be fine.

The ones on the front line are probably toast, most notably the power supply, but if the supply blew before any surge got past it, the rest of the components stand a chance of being ok. Since the power supply is only "high voltage" component in a computer, there is a good chance it may not have passed any damaging voltages to it's low voltage side that feeds the rest of the system.
The surge got past the power supply, a nice Corsair 850 Gold, and melted part of mb copper tracks. I tested all the components and I could save only a 8 GB ram module. But believe me, the melted desktop was only a small part of the damage.

Anyway, regardless of the damage I got, what couldd be right now a home enthusiast configuration?

GH4/GH5 files in UHD. A couple of tracks with some filter. Single monitor.

Does it still make sense making a RAID 0 conf or I could use a 1TB SSD for editing current project files and then store archived files on a standard HDD?

Thank you all
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #17
antonsvideo

Quote:

GH4/GH5 files in UHD. A couple of tracks with some filter. Single monitor.
you are going to need a serious PC, unless you have 9WG and reduce the preview resolution while editing

I use 2 x 4TB Samsung SSD Pro in Raid0 for video drive and the BM speed test shows 1040MB/sec read and write

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #18
Long John Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
you are going to need a serious PC, unless you have 9WG and reduce the preview resolution while editing
The 9WG jump upgrade is in the budget :(

Quote:
I use 2 x 4TB Samsung SSD Pro in Raid0 for video drive and the BM speed test shows 1040MB/sec read and write
OMG! A single SSD is not enough?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #19
antonsvideo

Quote:
OMG! A single SSD is not enough?
yes, a single SSD is enough

I only mentioned what I use now, it is nice to see all bin thumbnails generated at the blink of an eye when opening a project, because EDIUS is lacking a thumbnail cache like other software

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Long John Silver

The idea is keeping only the latest projects on the SSD (separate form OS SSD) and then moving everything on a separate mechanical HDD. Everything backup externally.

What is a good GPU compromise nowadays?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories