Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Michael1962

Default What files to save?

When using Avid there were some files I needed to saved in case of a system failure. They were the USER file (all my custom keyboard settings) my Templates files ( the layouts of the interface) and project files. With these files I would be up and running after windows install and Liquid install. Are all of these files within the projects files folder in Edius 6 or are there some files under Grass Valley folder I need to be backing up.
Thanks Mike
i7 930, Asus P6t MB, 4gig ram,
8600 gt Xp home Sp3
Avid Liquid 7.2 Dx10 Patch
(Supermeatball in Avid Forums)

Computer 2
Amd 965 x2 64bit, Asus MB
4gig ram 7900gt, XP Home SP3
Studio 14 Ultimate Sony Z1U & Z5U
Michael1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
col lamb

If I were you I'd invest in Acronis True Image (ATI) and backup all your boot disc to a seperate drive, you can also customize ATI to do incremental/daily/weekly backups. Restoring from the image file is therefore very easy and hours quicker than installing all your software from scratch.

Personally I used ATI to clone the boot disc to a second hard drive so I have an exact copy ready to fit in case of a problem, downtime = shutdown + 5sec to swap drives + boot up. The boot disc is in a trayless caddy so it is very easy to swap, I keep the clone hard drive secure in a protective case well away from potential sources of damage.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
tingsern

I second that. I use Acronis for that purpose as well. No more worries about not backing up yet another file. And in case you accidentally installed something that gives your system the belly up, you can just restore in just 20 minutes or so (depending on your size of the bootup disk).
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Thor

Assuming a Western Digital drive is involved as the source or target drive, is there any problem with using WD's free utility (Data Lifeguard Tools) to completely copy a hard drive (system or otherwise)?

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
tingsern

Acronis only cost US$50 or less. You can backup / restore your data on ANY drive - Seagate, WD, Fujistu, IBM, etc, etc.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Ron Evans

Acronis is great. Just upgraded my boot drive and temp drives and just let Acronis create a clone. Just exchanged drives and everything worked as normal, but with bigger drives. I backup data to LTo3 tapes but use Acronis for the boot drive and Edius directories as well.

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Assuming a Western Digital drive is involved as the source or target drive, is there any problem with using WD's free utility (Data Lifeguard Tools) to completely copy a hard drive (system or otherwise)?
I used data lifeguard tools a long long time ago and functioned o.k.
If you run into trouble it is limited however to repair or even browse a non-bootable drive.
XP days I used partition magic but later version where not that reliable, after Norton bough it, it tanked.

I strongly agree with the above suggestions that Acronis in easy to use, reliable software.
I personally use Disk Director Home 11 which works great on Win7 x64 and older versions of windows.

ATI might be fine for back-ups but for just a little more $ you can get disk director which is pretty powerful and below $50 USD.

It has a "Automatic" asking questions and click to next menu, or "Full Manual" controls for power users.
You can copy / clone / re-size (without losing data)/ create / delete / repair / hide / etc not looking at brand / model / or size of HDD used, logically, there must be enough free space to perform a certain operation, otherwise, anything goes :)
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS