Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
MrHankey

Default How is the audio quality on the ADVC110?

I read a review which claims the audio captured by the ADVC110 is very low/quiet compared to the original source. Has anyone here used the ADVC110 to convert music from analog sources to digital? How is the sound quality compared to the original?

Ideally, I'd like to have one device do both my video and audio transfers.

Thanks.
MrHankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

This is from the ADVC100, but I believe the same applies to the 110.
Quote:
The full scale analog audio outputs of the ADVC-100 is 2Vrms for sure, which is +6dBV if I convert correctly
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
SoundFreak
Banned

2 volt rms would clip any digital source, those are of course the written spec's analog spec's.
Real life you should probably get more or less what you put in, this being a un-balanced audio input, it might be a tad low compared to the audio taken from a compressed on-board microphone of a consumer cam or a overly compressed music video recorded from MTV or YouTube.
On most analog captures you'll need to spend a little time on the video as well as the audio, it might need some gain adjustment and noise cleaning, nothing Edius can't handle.
Keep your cables short (6 feet or less) & away from power / magnetic sources and you'll be fine.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Sorry, just realized what i posted was the audio output, not the input, but SoundFreak's advice is good.

Remember that headphone, phono and line-level outputs are not the same! Though in modern equipment sometimes there's a line/phono toggle for the same physical jack as phono pre-emphasis is rarely used nowadays.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
dpalomaki

Line/MIC toggles are often found on gear. Nominal MIC level is often 30 dB below line level, but with consumer gear one cannot count on it

Line level RCA jacks are often "consumer" line level, which is about -10 dBV based on a 10K ohm load and might correspond to zero "VU" on an analog audio level meter on consumer gear. This analog zero VU might correspond to something between -10 dB and -18 dB on a digital scale where zero corresponds to the maximum digital record level

The separate issues of interest are head room and limiting and/or clipping. At what level of input signal does the system start to clip (or reach maximum digital level)? Ideally you do not want anything important in the audio to clip, and you want anything important in the audio signal to be well above the noise floor of the system.

Given the variability of consumer products and home video recording, including the audio AGC/ALC many camcorders have by default, it would be best to run some tests with the material of interest to verify satisfactory digital recording level. Putting a moderate cost audio mixer in the chain can help manage analog signal levels if they are a problem.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Putting a moderate cost audio mixer in the chain can help manage analog signal levels if they are a problem.
Once you insert a audio mixer in the chain it reveals immediately the limitation of Edius audio capabilities.
A VU audio meter on capture would be needed, much like one we used to have in the Storm Edit days, there used to be a stand alone module that had ugly but bright readable VU meters, a god send for live event people like me.
Of course all great things have to be killed in the name of progress.
Oh how I wish incould afford to buy over a company, heads were gona roll, big time !
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
dpalomaki

Quote:
Of course all great things have to be killed in the name of progress.
Or to save a dime or two on product cost.

By calibrating the chain in advance so that peaking on the mixer VU meter (LEDs these days) corrsponds to maximum digital record level one can do some good attaining decent audio levels. It mayl require some trial and error to get the setting right.

Video recorded without the (dubious) benefit of audio AGC often sounds lower level because typical camcorder AGC tries to maintian a high average sound level whether it be the talent, the audience coughing an sneezing, or the venue air conditioning.

The only thign we knwo for sure is TV commercials will be heard at least 6 dB higher average sound level than the program material.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
SoundFreak
Banned

To battle all conditions in live events I alwas brought along a 1U rackmount line splitter / mixer with large gain and -20dB pads, and a 1U DBX master compressor / limiter with soft knee compression and brickwall limiter to make sure that no live recording had corrupt AVI files due to severe clipped audio.
Also a costum made patch bay to have any type of analog audio connection in & out.

Back on topic, in the studio or at home it is easy to make a few short test captures to fine tune audio levels, a luxury you have, but not at live events !

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC