Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Captain

Default Intel graphics AND additional GPU: how to connect?

As I am still about to plan my new system, I came across a question that I have never asked myself before, but plenty of you should, I guess.

Right now I plan to buy:
- an Intel CPU (i7-7700k or 8700k, but in any case taking advantage of QuickSync)
- an additional GPU (1080ti or similar) for a little game once in a while and, more important, for boosting the PCC and Hitfilm effects in Edius
- two or three monitors (starting with two, maybe upgrading to three a few months later).

Question is: where and how would I connect the monitors to take advantage of the Intel GPU (with QS) and the additional GPU? If I run Edius and want GPU-acceleration AND Intel QS, where would I plug in the monitors? What about standard windows applications/games then? Will I have to switch connection physically or via software each time I open/close Edius?

Never done this before, and I just don't want to waste my money, for it tends to be rare... ;-) Thanks in advance!
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
As I am still about to plan my new system, I came across a question that I have never asked myself before, but plenty of you should, I guess.

Right now I plan to buy:
- an Intel CPU (i7-7700k or 8700k, but in any case taking advantage of QuickSync)
- an additional GPU (1080ti or similar) for a little game once in a while and, more important, for boosting the PCC and Hitfilm effects in Edius
- two or three monitors (starting with two, maybe upgrading to three a few months later).

Question is: where and how would I connect the monitors to take advantage of the Intel GPU (with QS) and the additional GPU? If I run Edius and want GPU-acceleration AND Intel QS, where would I plug in the monitors? What about standard windows applications/games then? Will I have to switch connection physically or via software each time I open/close Edius?

Never done this before, and I just don't want to waste my money, for it tends to be rare... ;-) Thanks in advance!
Connect one monitor to the intel GPU and one to the nVidia. If you add a third monitor, connect that to the second output of the nVidia. Essentially, the intel GPU needs a monitor connected in order to enable it for quicksync use.
Edius WG 9.20.3340 & 8.53.3262, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
THoff

It is even possible to use a single monitor with both a discrete GPU and QuickSync, provided the monitor has multiple inputs.

In order for QuickSync to be enabled, the integrated graphics just need to detect that the cable is plugged into a monitor -- the monitor doesn't have to be displaying the signal from the integrated graphics controller.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
In order for QuickSync to be enabled, the integrated graphics just need to detect that the cable is plugged into a monitor -- the monitor doesn't have to be displaying the signal from the integrated graphics controller.
So, for connecting two monitors I would need three cables: two from the additional gpu to one monitor each, and the third cable from integrated GPU to one of the both monitors? Do I need to manually prevent that double-connected monitor from displaying the iGPU signal?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
So, for connecting two monitors I would need three cables: two from the additional gpu to one monitor each, and the third cable from integrated GPU to one of the both monitors? Do I need to manually prevent that double-connected monitor from displaying the iGPU signal?
No, you only need 2 cables, one from the intel gpu and one from the nvidia.

The trick THoff mentioned is in case you have one monitor and the 2 gpu's.

The problem with that trick though is that when you have a desktop enabled on the second monitor input that you can't see and if your desktop is extended across the two graphics cards/monitors, then you can have stuff pop up on the unseen desktop (2nd monitor input), but if you are cloning the desktop on both monitors, you are OK.

since you are going to run 2 monitors simply do this:

nVidia ==> Monitor 1
intel ==> Monitor 2

desktop extended across both monitors.

each of the GPU's drive 1 monitor apiece.
Edius WG 9.20.3340 & 8.53.3262, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)

Last edited by BernH; 10-11-2017 at 10:37 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
David Clarke

Also make sure the nVidia is the primary monitor in Windows. This was any GPU effects are still sped up by the nVidia, but the Intel is also connected as secondary to get Quick Sync working.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Captain

Thank you guys so far. Now I can calm down and do my thing.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories