Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
edwood

Default Edius Development in the Future

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I would like to know some more on EDIUS upcoming releases. I'm considering moving to Edius from another video editing program, but when I google 'Edius' I currently get for the most part reviews and links to older versions of the software. Because I know that Canopus has just been acquired by Thomas Grass Valley, I would like to know where the Edius development stands currently. Edius seems to have all the features I need, but I wouldn't like to pay for a software that may be no longer supported in a couple of years.
Thank you
edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
STORMDAVE

Why not download the fully functional 30 day trial?
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
tony

Have a look here

http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products/nlesoftware.php

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 --i7-2700K --EDIUS 8.5WG--HDStorm+ --16GB Kingston HyperX--GTX 560Ti--AX850 PSU--MxM PCI-e Reader--Win 10 Pro 64bit
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
pjsssss

Edius is really gaining some momentum in the broadcast market and GV is making quite a push with Edius and its K2 integration. I can also add that we were packed in the Edius pods at NAB. The busiest I have ever been.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
sheilaorsi

Hi Ed-
Ive been an edius user for over 5 years now- they are a solid software- and I dont expect them to go anywhere.. I belong to my local PVA ( Professional Video Association) and we have an Eduis users group in there.. ( loose group) but we know who we are - and call eachother for support... almost half of our group uses Edius - it's a great way to go!

Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood View Post
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I would like to know some more on EDIUS upcoming releases. I'm considering moving to Edius from another video editing program, but when I google 'Edius' I currently get for the most part reviews and links to older versions of the software. Because I know that Canopus has just been acquired by Thomas Grass Valley, I would like to know where the Edius development stands currently. Edius seems to have all the features I need, but I wouldn't like to pay for a software that may be no longer supported in a couple of years.
Thank you
sheilaorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Haddock

Here is my opinion,

Using Edius for 5 years I am very happy with this choice and the evolution. Actually I am on 4.6 on 2 PC's and have 5.11 on a third because as professionnal I have to follow the progress and be aware to answer to my clients.

Edius 4.6 is already an excellent software, mature and stable.... and since 5.11 Edius gives more and more possibilities... (effects in quantities....) but not absolutely necessary in my sector of activities mainly technical and industrial. So, today, I am still editing in 4.6... learning gently the new version 5.11.

So don't care... with 4.61 you have already a very nice tool...
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood View Post
Hi everybody,
Thank you
I would not be too concerned about Edius not being supported. As Pat says, with the increase in interest from the broadcast industry, that alone should float Edius along.

How's this for longevity:
This forum came from the Canopus forum. The Canopus forum has been around a very long time. I joined in 1996...yes, it was there before that. There are a few others of us left from the old days. Edius grew out of those years and the push for something more than Rex or Storm edit. How many other editing programs have had forums around that long and still have 14-15 year old hardware still working and making money for the consumer(Rex and Storm). That should say something.

It may not seem like it to most, but the development stage has been faster since the purchase of Canopus by GV.
I would not worry about Edius being supported. Keep in mind though, newer versions of Edius will get updates over the older versions. That is normal.
Download the trial and give it a whirl.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
plasma_video

As Pat said, there is a lot of broadcast interest in Edius, given the mixed format support it has, and its integration with P2 as well as newsroom systems.

Everyone here at my real job used to get a chuckle out of me saying "I'll do that at home, Edius rocks with stuff like that" for things no one could figure out how to quickly do with other systems (like Avid).

Enter 2008 - we purchased an integrated newsroom system built around 8 edit bays, and 4, in the field, laptop editors all with Edius. The news editors and photogs can fly through editing now. Now a lot of people don't laugh at my "I can do that at home" comments from yesterdays.

At home, I crank out numerous edited programs of our church productions, promotional videos for non-profit groups, and lots of family history videos for family and friends, and the editing is fast and stable.

People who take a look at the program for the first time are amazed at the realtime performance, and the ease of doing things like multicam editing.

Does Edius have warts? Yes. The lack of true alpha support is a bummer for compositing, for example, but for compositing, it's better to use a true compositing app anyway.

Fast workflow, realtime performance, and multi-format support make it an excellent EDITOR. I think it will continue to grow, especially in the broadcast newsroom and corporate/industrial/event environment.

Last edited by plasma_video; 05-14-2009 at 07:48 PM.
plasma_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Bassman

I agree with the above.

I can say hands down that moving to Edius 5 years ago was the best move I have made for my video business.

The speed and quality in which I can work is amazing.

I mow through multicamera shoots in HD all with excellent color and in different camera format. And then there is great encoding on the back end.

I highly recommend this software.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Jerry

Does Edius have warts? Yes. The lack of true alpha support is a bummer for compositing, for example, but for compositing, it's better to use a true compositing app anyway.

I am glad I'm not the only one wanting full alpha support. However, my definition does not pigeon hole it to compositing. Transitions, transitions on titles, and basic workflow become work arounds without full alpha.

That feature is coming and I would not shy away from the program because of the lack of full alpha.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS