Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Jerry

Do you not have time constraints when doing your projects? Bern's described process requires time to create, export, and manage both assets and exports.
Then there is the time to export files from AE(or other program) and then import them into Edius. If you make a mistake and have to fix something, that also takes more time.

Your other option along these lines is the Lower Third package from Rampant Design https://rampantdesigntools.com/produ.../lower-thirds/

Having a dedicated graphics package with hundreds of presets, saves me a massive amount of time. I rarely use a stock preset and end up creating a new dedicated graphic for the project at hand. This takes very little time due to the number of templates I have. From these templates, I can create a new graphic without having to start from scratch.

One thing to mention is that all of these graphics are real time on my 5 year old system, even when I do 4K.

If time isn't a concern and you are hesitant to spend money, then Bern's described process is perfect for you.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #22
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Then there is the time to export files from AE(or other program) and then import them into Edius. If you make a mistake and have to fix something, that also takes more time.
Jerry, my process does not require AE or RED unless the user is requiring things that are not available in Edius.

The simple process is to create the desired graphic/text box background in photoshop or affinity, bring that into edius on a layer, and the put the text on another layer, and manipulate them as you see fit. This graphic can be a simple as a basic rectangle, or as complicated as you wish to make it.

Yes, it does take a bit of time to do this but not much. Most if it is deciding on what you want you use for the graphic background. If you don't want to create something from scratch, there are premade ones available on the internet, both free and paid.

I only propose this as a solution to get something a bit slicker than a basic static lower third, without having to touch AE or RED or spend a lot of money on another software package. If you want something able to work with a library of presets, or do things with just 3 mouse clicks, then a proper package is warranted.

Of course the OP said he has RED, as do I, which already has a bunch of pre-made lower thirds in it's library that he could use, if there is something suitable. but he did say it was too complicated, so my approach lets him use the tools he knows already.

This suggestion was simply put forth because the OP was asking about bringing a graphic into quicktitle to he could do his own static lower third. I simple suggested that if you stack the elements in the timeline, you can sort of "fudge" an animated lower third pretty easily.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 07-14-2019 at 03:58 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #23
Jerry

It will work for those users with extra time. It will work particularly well for users unwilling to get off of their wallets.

There is nothing wrong with doing graphics that way. However, the 'slickness' factor is far superior in a dedicated graphics program.

As far as Red goes, it can still be used but everything has to be rendered. I own Red and will no longer install it. Continuum is a better option.

If the OP has Edius 9, he is eligible for a free version of Titler Pro for Edius 9. This is based on version 5 of Titler Pro.

It's the OP's choice. I would still recommend the OP to download a trial of Vistitle and give it a shot.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #24
BernH

Quote:
It will work for those users with extra time. It will work particularly well for users unwilling to get off of their wallets.

There is nothing wrong with doing graphics that way. However, the 'slickness' factor is far superior in a dedicated graphics program.
Agreed, a proper package can do a lot more, but that is a question of how complicated do you want, and I'm not saying anything about right or wrong.

My point is that, a simple background push/wipe in and text fade up on a lower third does not require a dedicated text/graphics package, nor does it require purchasing such a package if you don't have one.

This process is sort of a throwback to about how complicated a lower third was for a lot of TV broadcast not too long ago. Back when I was selling edit systems for a living, I would often get independent "one man show" kind of people wanting to do fancier graphics and lower thirds, but not having the budget for the extra $2000 required at the time to get into a compositing package like RED or AE, nor the time to learn it, so this little process allowed them to do something similar, albeit simpler, without the expense or learning curve. It's lust simply about thinking of your NLE more like a compositor than an editor for the purposes of layering elements for a graphic and manipulating them separately.

My thoughts along these lines are similar to the posts we often see when someone asks how they can use some kind of pre-canned adobe premier effect in Edius, and one of us that tend to look at how to combine the edius tools to get the job done, come back with a little recipe on how to create a similar thing with Edius. This is just a way to do something similar but simpler right in Edius for those that don't have a graphics package.

I have several canned animated and static lower thirds graphic backgrounds that I use for identification of talking heads at a podium during event videography in exactly this manner. I don't really need overly fancy for these events, just a quick easy way to do the background animation once and replace the text for each speaker. Once I have the quick titler text positioned for the first speaker, it is a simple open/edit/save as, to generate all the text, then some drag and drop to place the background, text, and a user created preset transition/layouter in/out.

I personally find this approach very quick and easy, faster than jumping out to something like bluff titler if I only want simple transitional animations, particularly when I have a little stash or pre-made backgrounds to choose from, but even if I had to create a simple one, it only takes a few minutes to fire up something like photoshop or affinity, draw a couple of background shapes and save it.

If I want more complicated than that for a project, I do indeed turn to a more capable package, and depending on what I want, the package will change, or use something like the Rampant backgrounds you linked to.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 07-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #25
Ron Evans

If you do not want to spend money then Resolve has some Fusion text animations that can be altered easily , bring your HQX file into Resolve do your title and then bring back a HQX file into EDIUS.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #26
Jerry

The reason I recommended Bluff Titler was because of the OP's original title. Specifically, News Intro. This is not a lower third by any shape of the meaning.

I wouldn't use Bluff Titler to create lower thirds. Full screen animations, yes.

Bern, I've used your described method in the distant past. I also used to use AE.
After using Vistitle, which is my main graphics package, I honestly would never want to return to that method.

Time and having real time playback are my main reasons.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #27
BernH

Quote:
Bern, I've used your described method in the distant past. I also used to use AE.
After using Vistitle, which is my main graphics package, I honestly would never want to return to that method.

Time and having real time playback are my main reasons.
I'm sure you have done this kind of thing, as you have been at this a while, just like I have.

You can have real time playback doing this, and time is not an issue, if the elements are canned, as it is as fast as dropping 2 or 3 elements on the timeline. If I have a canned graphic element that doesn't offer real time playback, that I will want to re-use, I'll spit it out as an HQX AVI with alpha for re-use, and presto, real time playback is achieved. Yes it takes a bit of time and effort to set this up initially, but once the elements are saved for re-use, it is actually quite quick to implement.

Once again, this is not always the best approach, particularly if you want something other than a canned graphic or if you want to tweak a setting in a gfx package. but it is essentially the way we had to do things many years ago before there were advanced titlers available inside an NLE and the concept still works, so for the more novice editor, this my get them thinking "outside the box" a bit. ....and as I said I am not knocking your like for Vistitle, nor disputing it's capabilities or ease of use.

Like many here, I don't have Vistitle, and no matter how much I would like to explore it, for the number of times I have to do the kind of more advanced titling that it would allow, I can't cost justify it, particularly when I have other tools at my disposal, even if they are slower, and I suspect neither can a lot of people that are not using Edius to make their living. I may indeed purchase it at some point, but until I can either cost justify it or can find it for a price that does not need justification....

Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in using the right tool for the job, but I am not a believer in spending a large amount of money on that tool if you can't recoup the cost relatively quickly, and for my estimated 0.1% usage requirement, at a $299 USD + $99USD plugin pack price, it would take a long time to recoup that cost.

Last edited by BernH; 07-15-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #28
Jerry

This article might help the OZp:

https://blog.frame.io/2017/12/04/low...hat-dont-****/

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
kruzer

Jerry.... ya saved my azz with that link for lower third :)
Dude, I wanna thank you !
Also, to complement you for all your good suggestions ... with other people as well.
Back to work now for me :)
kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #30
kruzer

BernH
Thanks for the good post.
Same here, can't justify the cost for Title maker.
Not doing any big sales that would allow me to buy it.

When I needed a scrolling credit... Edius had nothing that could be used. I got one for $25 and it's a bit primitive but works the same as REAL movie credit rolls. That was 15 years ago and still using it.

I am curious if there is some kind of instruction how to do what you mentioned : "...like a n HQX AVI with an alpha channel and use that instead of...."

kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS