Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
jschipmann

Default Green Video on export with Edius 9 workgroup

We are running in to an issue on Edius 9 workgroup where the first 15 or so frames of video on exports ends up corrupt and green.

All systems are identically specced i7 8700k, 16GB, RX 570, all same drivers and edius version.

We export as MPEG2 MXF as that is the file format and container that our server requires.

What is throwing us off as well is this doesnt happen all the time. I can export 5 times in a row and it won't happen, but then it will on the 6th... or it can do it 10 times in a row and not on the 11th... I have not found any rhyme or reason to this.

Any ideas where to even begin on troubleshooting this? I tried to find a common thread on files being imported or used, upgraded Video card drivers on all of our editors, edited locally instead of from the share, installed quicktime just in case. These are all brand new machines I built so there is essentially nothign installed other than Windows 10 and all recent updates, All current drivers for system, edius, QuickTime, filezilla
jschipmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
BernH

Your problem could be more than the export settings. It could be related to source files, so let's start at the beginning and get a bit more info.

What build/sub version of Edius (ie. 9.x.xxxx)?

What are your source files (codec and container)?
Are they a format that requires quicktime to decode properly?
Is quicktime installed AND enabled in Edius? Installing only does not enable it in Edius. There is a check box to enable in the system settigings. Some codecs decode more reliably through it than they do through the native windows libraries so without it enabled, it may still decode but be intermittently problematic.

If the source is a quicktime dependent type, perhaps re-downloading and re-installing quicktime can help, just in case you cave a corrupt quicktime file or installer.

If the source files are something that uses H264 compression, are you using Quicksync GPU decode acceleration? If you are try turning it off, if you are not, try turning it on.

You have to have a monitor connected to the the intel GPU to completely enable quicksync, and it may also require checking bios settings and/or windows display settings and driver version. There are many posts on the forum about getting it to work, and specific driver versions that work. I'm not a Win 10 user so can't really comment further than this on QuickSync in Win 10
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 07-18-2019 at 03:43 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
jschipmann

I'll double check the source files and put the media info in a reply.

Version on all editors is 9.40.4803

After we started experiencing the issue we also noticed certain animation files from After Effects weren't importing to the bin, so we Installed the latest version of QuickTime and enabled it in edius.

As far as I am aware quicksync is not enabled, nor is there any monitor plugged in to the on board. We are using Radeon RX 570 cards with driver version labeled 19.7.1-july7 (I just installed this last week trying to upgrade from previous drivers to see if this helped)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
jschipmann

General
Complete name : R:\OASIS\BHDN_KY Teacher shortage_GRAYee70_120.mpg
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 334 MiB
Duration : 1 min 48 s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 25.9 Mb/s

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 25.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.402
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Open
GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
Stream size : 323 MiB (97%)

Audio
ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Stream size : 4.96 MiB (1%)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
trillium

Are you using custom built PC's or a system provided by someone such as Dell? Just asking because driver updates to graphics cards are extremely picky these days. Intel kept telling me to update my graphics drivers with their installer but their install always failed. I had to go to the Dell driver site for my system in order to get drivers to install correctly. I read that manually installing the non-Dell version of the drivers could produce very negative outcomes.

Noting that you just reinstalled drivers I just wonder if there is a connection there.
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
jschipmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Are you using custom built PC's or a system provided by someone such as Dell? Just asking because driver updates to graphics cards are extremely picky these days. Intel kept telling me to update my graphics drivers with their installer but their install always failed. I had to go to the Dell driver site for my system in order to get drivers to install correctly. I read that manually installing the non-Dell version of the drivers could produce very negative outcomes.

Noting that you just reinstalled drivers I just wonder if there is a connection there.
All custom built, I haven't checked for a video card driver update since the last time we tried to update in troubleshooting. Nor have I updated windows since the original post.

The video information above seems to be the most common culprit.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschipmann View Post
I'll double check the source files and put the media info in a reply.

Version on all editors is 9.40.4803

After we started experiencing the issue we also noticed certain animation files from After Effects weren't importing to the bin, so we Installed the latest version of QuickTime and enabled it in edius.

As far as I am aware quicksync is not enabled, nor is there any monitor plugged in to the on board. We are using Radeon RX 570 cards with driver version labeled 19.7.1-july7 (I just installed this last week trying to upgrade from previous drivers to see if this helped)
Have you used previous Edius versions without problem?

I ask because 9.4 is known to have some crashing issues with mismatched framerates or variable framerate video with certain system builds, and with the intricacy of a software like Edius, it may be possible that you have uncovered something new or related to the framerate bug issue. If you worked fine with 9.3, try rolling back to it to see if things are still normal. If you have never used 9.3, try it to see if things are normal.

This hopefully will either isolate the issue to 9.40, or point to something broader like perhaps a windows driver update or other software. If you are running Windows 10 in particular, forced updates by Windows can cause things to stop working correctly.

In order for quicksync to be active, you need a monitor hooked up to the intel GPU built into your CPU and you need the correct intel driver version installed.

If you are only working in HD MPEG2, quicksync will not really help anyway, but if you start dealing with H264/AVCHD/XAVC files, it can greatly improve decode of those files. It also has to be enabled for those codecs in the edius settings. Quicksync can also be used to accelerate creation of H264/AVCHD/XAVC related files, but once again it has to be active to do this.

There have been reports in the newer edius builds, that quicksync is decoding without having a monitor connected, but I have not tried it myself.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 08-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschipmann View Post
General
Complete name : R:\OASIS\BHDN_KY Teacher shortage_GRAYee70_120.mpg
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 334 MiB
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 25.9 Mb/s

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Bit rate : 25.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.402
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Open
GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
Stream size : 323 MiB (97%)

Audio
ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Stream size : 4.96 MiB (1%)
All this looks pretty normal to me.

What created the source file?

It obviously isn't a camera file, since it has a long descriptive name, unless you renamed it, but since there is no writing library listed, it makes me question the origin of the source a little. Most software will inject the writing library metadata into the file, but a lot of hardware may not.

This does not mean there is something wrong with the file, but I have seen software sometimes have problems with files written by one encoding engine and not anther engine, but a different piece of software has no problems with either encoding engine. Just trying to expose the things that may point to a problem somewhere.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
jschipmann

I'm going to post up the info of another video source we work with that we seem to be having the issue with as well.

The first clip info is from a site where we gather news vids from, they are downloaded to the PC and placed on the central storage everyone uses.

The second type we seem to be having issues with are archived videos. We used edius 6 previously and each week we would archive all stories to Blu-ray. All the files are MPEG 2 MXF that are written.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
jschipmann

just to bump this back up, I have been trying out various things such as updating every driver for every component and monitoring all I can...and I did notice one thing.... These systems as stated previously use AMD RX 570 cards. While using Edius I can see the Video Decoder on the GPU is being used (task manager, performance, GPU) However on another system that we just installed Edius 9 on it is using a GTX 1060...and while using edius it shows no activity on the GPU decoder...

The main issue is I can't get consistent results to reproduce the issue... it could be on the 6th export we get the green video, or on the 1st, and the next time the 20th...but even still I think I am going to put in an nvidia card to see if it eliminates the issue and then could potentially point to the problem.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS