Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
martincoward

Default Re- convert AVCHD files to original format after editing

I have downloaded the latest AVCHD converter software from Canopus and converted AVCHD files created on a Panasonic SD9 to the m2p format. These individual files play brilliantly on my Rapsody N35 media player in HD. (ie.at the identical quality as playing directly from the camera via the HDMI cable to the HD TV.) The converted files also play OK on the Edius timeline and can be edited using Edius 5.

My question is 'how to output the edited files to play back with the same quality as the original coverted single file?' I have tried exporting with the AVCHD setting relating to the Panasonic description and although it does work, the quality is not as good as the single original file before it went on the timeline. I have also tried exporting to wmv hd format - again,this works but the result is like watching a film close up ie. any movement is slightly jerky. Maybe I'm being too fussy but I feel if the multimedia player can play perfectly a single file converted by the AVCHD software, then it should be possible to create an edited program from Edius to the same standard.

Any advice would be very welcome - I've spent days trying to come up with a solution!

Last edited by martincoward; 01-18-2009 at 08:54 PM.
martincoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
tingsern

I think your problem is converting to m2p format. You should try converting to Canopus HQ format first - then edit in EDIUS - then convert the HQ format to your target format.

m2p is MPEG-2 format - and video is compressed in groups (depending on what you specify). When you edit that video file in EDIUS - it has to interpolate the in between scenes - information that is lost when the file is in m2p format.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
martincoward

Many thanks for that info - I will try that and let you know the outcome.

Martin Coward
martincoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS