Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-19-2019, 02:08 AM   #1
jackal_05

Default Canopus softare help please

Hi everyone!
I received my Canopus ADVC-300 not long ago, I've been doing a lot of reading but I'm kinda stuck, software is the issue. I'm using windows 7 (64-bit) I'm looking for an 'easy' software to capture and a software to burn my dvd's by adding chapters. I've tried many software but they either don't have what I need or they are too complicated. I'm asking for suggestions as I'm getting discouraged with this. Virtualdub and Windv don't recognize my ADVC. I'm basically looking for software that works to do the tasks seperately or all in 1.
Thanks in advance everyone,
Jacques
jackal_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 AM   #2
southskies

Default Canopus softare help please

Hi Jacques,

I'm more of a novice in this area compared with some of the experts out there, so perhaps we are in the same league.

Same setup, ADVC300, Win7(64).

What I found was that WinDV would not work on this platform either. So, I moved towards using EDIUS to do the capture, and to do the editing.

The only issue was that EDIUS still stopped the file capture on scene change. Yes, there were settings in EDIUS to overcome this, but they weren't always successful.

So, the downside is that you have to pay for EDIUS, the trial only goes for a month or so, but you can still try it out to see if it works for you. I think Adobe Premiere (or whatever it is called these days) does the same job, but I'm kinda sick of testing all the different options.

One method I used for quite a while was to have two OS on your computer, XP and WIN 7. Use the XP session to capture using WINDV (I still like this software, as it kept the recording going despite scene changes). The only downside was that you ended up having lots of 15 minute files that I had to rejoin using a BAT command and ffmpeg.

Once I had the complete file, I'd then use handbrake to compress the file.

The issue for me, and still is the issue, is getting a full capture of the video into one file. WinDV and ffmpeg does the job, but its just another step I'd like to avoid. EDIUS is poor on the capture side, due to the scene change problem. I think I'm still leaning towards using handbrake to do the compress, but that is more out of ignorance and its what I'm used to.

I may end up going back to XP for the capture, and create some kind of script to call winDV and to do the join in one step.
southskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
dpalomaki

Win 7 and newer often require use of the "legacy" IEEE134 drivers. It is NOT routinely distributed with Win 8 or Win 10, but can be downloaded from Microsoft. (FWIW: I can capture from an ADVC300 using Win 10 and Edius 9.)

However, Win 10 does not make it easy to install the legacy driver.

From what source are you capturing? VHS? Hi8? Video8? S-VHS? BETA?

Any gap in continuous video or glitch in the video signal may cause a break in the capture.

Using a TBC in the analog signal path before the ADVC will often help ensure a stable image and continuous capture.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Thor

Also, your ADVC is getting old. Some do go bad, I believe. Not sure about them, as I've only had Canopus DVStorms in the past, and one Edius NX and three SP internal cards with breakout boxes, now. All are still going strong, and work seamlessly for analog ingestion and DVD file production with Edius 5, 6 and 7.

Have you registered your ADVC with Grass Valley, to see what drivers or utilities may be available to help?

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53

Last edited by Thor; 03-09-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: clarification
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC