Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Matt M

Default Mpeg 2 with closed caption through ProCoder 2 - 3...help!

Has anyone had any success exporting an Mpeg 2 file out of ProCoder 2 or 3 with the line 21 closed caption info intact?

I have an uncompressed .mov with cc info and I am trying to export an Mpeg 2 through ProCoder 2 but it appears not to pass the info. From what I've read ProCoder 2 is suppose to pass cc info. As far as ProCoder 3, I've heard that it might not pass the info.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Exactly how is the CC info being stored in the QuickTime? Is it a separate track, or is it embedded in the video raster? If it's the latter, ProCoder doesn't have a decoder, and the output MPEG will be set to start at line 23 which essentially means that CC data won't display on the proper line to be decoded by the receiving end.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Matt M

The CC info is embedded on the video. The file was captured from a Beta SP tape with the line 21 cc info. I could have swore that I've read numerous times that ProCoder 2 passed the info. Hmm, well if it starts at line 23 then it wouldn't work. Do you happen to have any suggestions on what might work for my problem?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

ProCoder can pass through CC data if it's already isolated in the digital stream (in DV it's in a subcode, in MPEG-2 it's a user field, I'm not exactly sure where it is in QuickTime) but it won't decode CC data off the video raster.

So, in your case, assuming line 21 hasn't been lopped off the video image already, you need to get the decoder to shift the start of the video output to start at line 21.

Alternatively, you could try to find something that'll split out the CC prior to it hitting the encode stage and putting it into the proper encoded place, but the only things that come to mind are video head-end hardware encoders for IPTV type use.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Oh wait, on second thought, if you do the Beta SP capture to DV using our ADVC3000 (this is the only one that captures CC) then it'll be present in the captured DV stream and that should pass through to your output generated by ProCoder, assuming you're outputting it a CC-friendly format.

Sony DV devices should also encode the closed caption data from an analog source. I know they definitely will decode it.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder