Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
skimmel

Default Reading Timecode from Audio

I apologize if I'm not asking this clearly (I'm new to timecode stuff), but is there anyway for Edius to read LTC timecode from an audio track and put it on the corresponding video track?

Specifically, I'm thinking of sending LTC timecode to an audio track on my Blackmagic camera and then using that as timecode to sync the video with video from several other cameras. Will that work?

Thanks.
skimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Karsten Fischer

Like we did ages ago in burning timecode onto the first couple of minutes on tapes before shooting? Honestly I don't think so, but thats just my gut feeling. You might be able to use the BMD Camera as a master by setting the TC manually there and connecting the other cameras to it and let them get their TC from it. Last time I did shooting with multiple cameras, however, that was in fact not as easy as we thought. YMMV, of course, but remember to bring a clapper board just in case...
Karsten Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Not sure I'm following 100% but, it sounds like you want to record an LTC signal onto an audio track, then bring the audio track into EDIUS and tell EDIUS, "Hey, that's not really audio, it's LTC"

If that's the case, yeah, no way to do that. Reminds me of the early VHS days... Toshiba (?) had a VCR that could use the video track to record super Hi-Fi audio onto a VHS tape. Problem is, only specific VCR models could play the super Hi-Fi tape, as it was a non-standard use of the medium.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
skimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
Not sure I'm following 100% but, it sounds like you want to record an LTC signal onto an audio track, then bring the audio track into EDIUS and tell EDIUS, "Hey, that's not really audio, it's LTC"

If that's the case, yeah, no way to do that. Reminds me of the early VHS days... Toshiba (?) had a VCR that could use the video track to record super Hi-Fi audio onto a VHS tape. Problem is, only specific VCR models could play the super Hi-Fi tape, as it was a non-standard use of the medium.
That's exactly right! Oh well. Turns out, Resolve will do this now (recent edition). If anyone wants a link to discussion of that over in blackmagic forum, just let me know.

Anyway, would be an interesting thing to add to Edius, since it's the only way (I know of at least) to get timecode into a camera that doesn't have jam-able timecode.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Who knows, if this practice becomes more common, EDIUS might get a way (or perhaps a plug-in from a third party) to do it!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
xeberdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmel View Post
Anyway, would be an interesting thing to add to Edius, since it's the only way (I know of at least) to get timecode into a camera that doesn't have jam-able timecode.
Sounds like a work around to me and a step backwards - rather than a useable feature request to implement. Clapboard job or more prof camera setup IMHO.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberdee View Post
Sounds like a work around to me and a step backwards - rather than a useable feature request to implement. Clapboard job or more prof camera setup IMHO.
While I don't disagree, similar things have already happened in the digital still camera world... Shrinking budgets fuel workarounds and innovation/hackery.

"Do it right" has often been replaced by "Just do it" everywhere.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
skimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberdee View Post
Clapboard: won't work for many of the settings I'm in as they are live theatre/music productions with many starts/stops and I can't clapboard.

More prof setup: would love that if I had the $.

Anyway, Resolve has done this and apparently Avid does as well, so maybe Edius will add.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Karsten Fischer

I'm not too sure this might be helpful, but you might want to read this:
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/t...bwf-timestamp/
Karsten Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
vortigern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten Fischer View Post
Like we did ages ago in burning timecode onto the first couple of minutes on tapes before shooting? Honestly I don't think so, but thats just my gut feeling. You might be able to use the BMD Camera as a master by setting the TC manually there and connecting the other cameras to it and let them get their TC from it. Last time I did shooting with multiple cameras, however, that was in fact not as easy as we thought. YMMV, of course, but remember to bring a clapper board just in case...

Or even more ages ago bring back the rubber number machine!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS