Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
draft

Default Capturing from VHS to DVD

I have been thinking about starting to capture old VHS tapes to DVD.

I've been on lookout for good S-VHS recorder which I can use to send video through S-Video cable. Can you recommend a brand or model and where can I buy those these days. Preferrably with TBC integrated into video.

Which capture device do you support? ADVC series? Are there any differences in quality of ADVC-100 and ADVC-110 are they using different chip to do analog -> DV conversion? I want entry level device under 200USD price.

Another thing I'm wondering is that in which format should I capture the audio from VHS. PCM or LPCM? I'll probably fix the audio tracks with Adobe Audition or Sony Soundforge.

Which is good resolution to capture PAL VHS casettes using one of ADVC devices? And what is a good program for the job (which preferrably works in Windows XP)?

Thanks in beforehands,
Toni
draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
andris

I'm not sure having TBC capabilty will do anything to improve the picture quality of a VHS signal going into a computer in any visible way.

Shop around for the best quality VHS unit you can find. The better quality ones will have S-VHS capability but I suspect that any gain in picture quality by outputting via S connector once again will be marginal (if any at all).

In fact, picture from standard VHS is so poor that it is pointless debating how the quality of digital product A vs B will effect a better outcome.
The starting point is so horrible that minor differences between peformance of chips becomes absolutely irrelevant.

For improving sound quality I would strongly recommend buying Soundsoap, especially if it can operate as a plug-in to a more advanced video editing suite ( like Edius ). It's one of those "magic" products that seem to do the impossible - it really does get rid of hiss from old recordings without affecting their 'sparkle' - and is simple to use.

Last edited by andris; 03-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.
andris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
antonsvideo

if the VHS is an original one, a TBC with good NR will give you a stunning result

if the VHS is a copy of a copy of a copy (many are), nothing will help, because you can't recover generational loss

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
peteraugusts

If you want to transfer VHS to DVD, several options exist for the VHS to DVDconversion. To copy VHS tapes to DVD, you will need video editing software that can help in capture analog video, edit the video, and burn the video to a final format, such as a DVD. You can also compare video editing software features, strengths, and weaknesses.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
russelbrooke

Good thing to be noticed..!!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andris View Post
I'm not sure having TBC capabilty will do anything to improve the picture quality of a VHS signal going into a computer in any visible way.

Shop around for the best quality VHS unit you can find. The better quality ones will have S-VHS capability but I suspect that any gain in picture quality by outputting via S connector once again will be marginal (if any at all).

In fact, picture from standard VHS is so poor that it is pointless debating how the quality of digital product A vs B will effect a better outcome.
The starting point is so horrible that minor differences between peformance of chips becomes absolutely irrelevant.

For improving sound quality I would strongly recommend buying Soundsoap, especially if it can operate as a plug-in to a more advanced video editing suite ( like Edius ). It's one of those "magic" products that seem to do the impossible - it really does get rid of hiss from old recordings without affecting their 'sparkle' - and is simple to use.
===========================

Referring to your mentioned "Soundsoap" how does it compare to Adobe Audition?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
===========================

Referring to your mentioned "Soundsoap" how does it compare to Adobe Audition?
This is a 9 year old post you are asking about.

That said, Soundsoap was a very good noise reduction plugin 10 years ago, and it still exists https://www.antarestech.com/product/soundsoap-5/ . I would imagine it is still quite good but I don't know if it still will work in current Edius versions or not. Not all plugins will work without introducing latency, and some will not work at all.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Ron Evans

If you just want to record to DVD so that you can watch the VHS in more places But do not intend to edit or are that concerned about absolute quality. Then a direct to disc unit that has both the tape player and DVD recorder may be the answer. This may give you a start https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-recorde...nation-1846611.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed with a JVC S-VHS machine. Works fine for all the old vhs tapes that I had and for which quality is not that important but does a good job.

EDIT: More awake than me BernH. Was answering the original poster !!!

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V

Last edited by Ron Evans; 01-21-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Maurice

Default Capturing from VHS to DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
This is a 9 year old post you are asking about.

That said, Soundsoap was a very good noise reduction plugin 10 years ago, and it still exists https://www.antarestech.com/product/soundsoap-5/ . I would imagine it is still quite good but I don't know if it still will work in current Edius versions or not. Not all plugins will work without introducing latency, and some will not work at all.
==============================

Oh my. I hadn't noticed the date on that posting about Soundsoap. Anyway, having figured out the reason for my pass-through stopping passing through I eventually finished the job.
Maurice
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
If you just want to record to DVD so that you can watch the VHS in more places But do not intend to edit or are that concerned about absolute quality. Then a direct to disc unit that has both the tape player and DVD recorder may be the answer. This may give you a start https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-recorde...nation-1846611.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed with a JVC S-VHS machine. Works fine for all the old vhs tapes that I had and for which quality is not that important but does a good job.

EDIT: More awake than me BernH. Was answering the original poster !!!
=========================

I have a collection of VHS/SVHS machines any of which I can pas-through feed into Edius ,edit as/if necessary and then export to file or disk.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC