Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
robilonk

Default Audio routing Edius 7(.20) and Black Magic mini monitor

When i use the BM mini monitor within Edius 7 i can t find a way to use my monitor speakers, i would like to be able to see the video on the external monitor but hear the system audio.
It s seems if you choose to use the mini monitor you will have to use the audio over hdmi also.
robilonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Adbear

This is correct, the only way you can hear the audio from a mini monitor is out through the mini monitor itself. This applies to all hardware output not just the mini monitor. You could loop the audio back from the TV into the line in on your soundcard
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
robilonk

Yes thats what i am doing now, not the best but the only solution.
Thanks for your repley!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robilonk View Post
Yes thats what i am doing now, not the best but the only solution.
Thanks for your repley!
I assume your TV has no speakers?

I use a Yamaha amp with 5 HDMI in and one out, the out goes to TV

the inputs are fed from EDIUS hardware and various Blu-ray players, easily switching from one to the other

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
robilonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
I assume your TV has no speakers?

I use a Yamaha amp with 5 HDMI in and one out, the out goes to TV

the inputs are fed from EDIUS hardware and various Blu-ray players, easily switching from one to the other
Thanks for your repley, my tv does have speakers but the quality is much lower then my Tannoy monitor speakers.

Now i take the tv's audio output that goes to the mixer this works fine.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
David Clarke

The Storm 3G is one of the only cards to have an internal connection although all that really does is take the line out from the I/o card and feed it into the PC sound card - so the same thing as using an external cable.

The Mini Monitor only has HDMI and SDI so no analogue sound. All the other Blackmagic cards have an analogue sound connection you can loop through to the PC line it.

As Anton has mentioned before you can't get surround sound out of Blackmagic cards - I have tried several and failed every time. You can out of some of the Grass Valley cards.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
antonsvideo

yes, I tried with correct 6 channel and 8 channel project settings

the 4k extreme failed to output more than 2 channels, then simple switch to HD Spark output and all channels work, I also tried Storm Mobile and it also works

BM have confirmed that it does not work in EDIUS but works when used with FCP for example

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
shueardm

Quote:
yes, I tried with correct 6 channel and 8 channel project settings

the 4k extreme failed to output more than 2 channels, then simple switch to HD Spark output and all channels work, I also tried Storm Mobile and it also works

BM have confirmed that it does not work in EDIUS but works when used with FCP for example
That's not exactly what they confirmed Anton.
It does work with EDIUS as I found a few weeks back myself. You have to have a "non consumer" processor pass through in between.
For example, I used the Teranex between the Decklink card and the amplifier and this then passed HDMI 8 channel sound to the amplifier. You could also use a Ultrastudio SDI or similar. For some reason consumer HDMI products don't meet the specification.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
antonsvideo

that would be an expensive workaround :)

the HD Spark and Storm Mobile and Storm 3G work fine

Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
shueardm

Quote:
that would be an expensive workaround :)

the HD Spark and Storm Mobile and Storm 3G work fine
Of course, I didn't suggest it as a workaround, merely pointing out EDIUS does pass 8 channel out the Decklink card. It's just what happens after that is weird.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS