Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
John Hooper

Default Is there a better way to use the Mask filter for this?

I have a static shot in a video with a logo in the background which is deliberately soft focus but readable. Part of this logo needs updating for which I have the graphic. This replacement graphic doesn't have a background colour to match the rest of the logo.

So I want to mask off the area that needs changing, use an eyedropper to match the colour of the original backgound. Then fill that mask with the colour and place the graphic over the top and apply a gaussian blur to that area.

I used the eyedropper in the mask edge colour selector, then filled the interior of the mask, which works well, but I now want to soften the edge of the mask on the outside.

How can I do this easily?

Is there a better way to match the background colour by not using the mask eyedropper. Then I could use the soft edge on the outside of the mask.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Last edited by John Hooper; 11-08-2015 at 05:33 PM.
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
John Lewis

You should be able to remove background with photoshop ,put on top of an alpha layer first
Many tuts on web on how to do it
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
John Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lewis View Post
You should be able to remove background with photoshop ,put on top of an alpha layer first
Many tuts on web on how to do it
Hi John, I think you might have mis-understood my question?

I need to replace part of a image in the video that is in the background of the shot.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor
Old 11-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
DigitalDave

If the logo on the video is static....
If so grab a still - take it into Photoshop and using the NEW logo reposition over the top.
Switch the screen grab layer off and SAVE the logo layer.
Use that over the video.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
John Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
If the logo on the video is static....
If so grab a still - take it into Photoshop and using the NEW logo reposition over the top.
Switch the screen grab layer off and SAVE the logo layer.
Use that over the video.
Thanks for the help, I realise that there are ways to do this externally to Edius, but wanted to know if I could do this using the Mask tool.

Perhaps my original post wasn't very well described. I want to place a mask over an area in the video and fill the inside of the mask with a colour to match the surround, then soften the mask edge to blend in.

I couldnt find an Edius filter that would let me select a colour to fill the inside of the mask, by using an eyedropper. So I ticked the edge colour in the mask, expanded that inside to fill it that way, but then I didn't find a way to soften the outside edge of the mask.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
David Clarke

I was going to say make a colour matte and use the colour picker to find the find the Y U V values of the colour you want, then use these in a "block colour" inside the matte, but unfortunately that does not work.

So my alternative would be to make a colour matte of the right colour and put it over the top of the video that needs blocking out. You can then feather the mask on the colour matte as needed. You want the two as one clip either render it or nest it.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
John Hooper

Thank you David.

At least it assures me that there is not a way to easily do it within a mask in one go.

I had virtually got there in the method I mentioned in my first post, but found I had to apply a second mask to blend the edges. I was hoping there would be a filter to use inside the mask that could use an eyedropper to match colours.

It would be good if you could use one mask but have the ability to other masks with different attibutes either inside or outside each mask using the same dialogue box....I suppose that would be complicated, but a feature request?

I know I can draw several masks now, but they all have to have the same filter.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #8
Captain

If I understood you correctly, than this should work - even if it's a weird workaround.
(All terms I use here are translated from my German version. I don't know how they are exactly named in the English version)

1. Apply the mask filter.
2. Draw your circle around your area you want to cover.
3. You won't need an inside or outside filter!
4. Only go to the contour/outline section. Now it becomes a little complicated:
4.1. Tip the "colour" box, and use the colour picker to find your specific colour.
4.2. Set the "width" to a number high enough to completely "fill" with your circle mask with the contour colour.
4.3. From the drop-down menu for the "side", do not choose inner or outer, but "both".
4.4. Now activate the soft contour and enter a value big enough to let you see a soft edge.
4.5. You now need to play around with the size of the mask and the two values "colour width" and "soft width" to reach the exact form and soft edge you need.

Again: it's a weird workaround, but if you find your settings you won't need neither external programms or plugins nor additional clips on the timeline.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
John Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
If I understood you correctly, than this should work - even if it's a weird workaround.
(All terms I use here are translated from my German version. I don't know how they are exactly named in the English version)

1. Apply the mask filter.
2. Draw your circle around your area you want to cover.
3. You won't need an inside or outside filter!
4. Only go to the contour/outline section. Now it becomes a little complicated:
4.1. Tip the "colour" box, and use the colour picker to find your specific colour.
4.2. Set the "width" to a number high enough to completely "fill" with your circle mask with the contour colour.
4.3. From the drop-down menu for the "side", do not choose inner or outer, but "both".
4.4. Now activate the soft contour and enter a value big enough to let you see a soft edge.
4.5. You now need to play around with the size of the mask and the two values "colour width" and "soft width" to reach the exact form and soft edge you need.

Again: it's a weird workaround, but if you find your settings you won't need neither external programms or plugins nor additional clips on the timeline.
That is exactly what I did first of all, but it doesn't work well because as soon as you choose both (your # 4.3) you move outside the mask area chosen. Then to your #4.5 takes too long to "play around".

I found it much quicker to do it the way I mentioned, without the soft edge, then apply another mask to soften the edge.

It would be good if the mask filter allowed you to have the choice for inside/ outside or both, on the colour and a separate set of options for the edge.

Now looking forward to Motion Tracking (Edius 8.2 perhaps?) :)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
7hbg

Can you capture and post a frame for us to see what you are removing?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS