Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #131
Ron Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
3.7Mbit is to low. This can look ok for nice film source, but not for AVCHD or XDCAM source, especially interlaced.
You have to use at least 5Mbit average and 2pass VBR.

What is your source? 5min for 7min source just downconversion?- sounds to long for your PC spec. Is it Edius 6?
Data rate is MY choice NOT yours and MY eyes are the test.

Yes it is my PC spec Edius 6 as Edius 5 does not do a very good downconvert which is why I always used T4 to downconvert and encode in one action from a HQ file. It is this level of quality that I am judging against to be better or worse. And yes 2 pass VBR is essential. There is lots of opportunity in a theatre performance for the 2 pass to redistribute resource. I shoot and edit to remove as much camera motion as possible so that action takes place in the frame allowing encoder more to work with. Sets do not normally move so there is only a small percentage of the frame that contains motion. Data rate swings viewed on playback are very large with high motion around 7Mbps and lows of less than 2Mbps are typical for the T4 2 pass VBR encode.

Downconversion is from a 4 track multicam timeline, all AVCHD native 1920x1080 60i with some colour correction in places to make cameras look much the same on cuts. All my shows are about the 2 hour mark and the longest about 2 hours 25 mins so that would end up being at the 3700 so I do all my test there and really is little difference at the 2 hour 4500 mark anyway. Actually the total time is reasonable, it took Vdub about the same time from a HQ or uncompressed file and of course this file took about the same time to export from Edius as well, never tried with T4 or T5 as I always got them to downconvert and encode in one step from the HQ fine file.

I also always make a Bluray of the same timeline, same authoring these days with DVD Architect so can view differences easily to the HD version. Played on my upscaling Bluray player I can always see the differences but my wife needs them pointed out as like most viewers she is watching the content !!!

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #132
Andrzej
Banned

2h on DVD-5 gives about 4.5Mbit+0.224Mbit for AC3 track+ 5% spare space.

Are you not using DVD-9? It would allow you to use eg. 7Mbit and this would make big difference.
Andrzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #133
Ron Evans

Yes I use DVD-5 for a number of reasons, AC3 audio and fill disc to about the 4G mark whatever data rate that happens to result in.

Local duplication house will not use DVD-9 as to them they are not reliable enough. My own tests also show less compatibility and though I only make a few discs I do not want the issues. The content is really important and I would be the first to say that these data rates would not be good enough for normal outside content with grass blowing in the wind or leaves on trees blowing etc. But for my content only the actors move, likely 60% or more of the image is stationary with little detail. Biggest data rates occur on camera changes where the whole frame changes or where stage goes from black to lights up. Shooting/editing style tries to maintain this low camera motion. One close up camera, one mid camera one full stage and one camera fixed on main active area of stage mid zoom advice from director. This way I can switch between cameras where there is no zooming or panning taking place in the shot ( film style, back to my film club days shooting theatre in the mid 1960's where our cameras could only shoot for max a couple of mins before winding up again or change film pack!!!). It works very well at these low data rates and there is little improvement at higher data rates that is obviously visible. The Bluray version is clearly cleaner and sharper as expected but from an upscaling player to an interpolating display there is not a startling difference.

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #134
Andrzej
Banned

Yes DVD-5 is way more reliable than DVD-9.
Old players don't support DVD-9s at all- will play first layer and than crash :)

Andrew
Andrzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #135
IndonesianEleven

thank for you posting.really good result. The next is burning to dvd, im using dvd workshop and nero 9.Still doesnt satisfy within the result.Is the any review about better DVD authoring?
R
IndonesianEleven is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder