Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Haddock

Default Capturing video Hi8 with Edius

Hello,

Just to have an advice or recommendation for the best reliable quality.

Video Format : 8/Hi8 (analogic)

Matériel used to read the cassette : Sony GV-D200E : output available : DV (IEEE) - Y/C - composite

Material used to capture : Edius NX Xpress with bay : inputs : DV (IEEE) - Y/C - composite.

So I have 2 possibilities :

1) Read out analogic Y/C... to NX input Y/C and let Edius create the HQ.avi via the videocard (with TBC included I think).

2) Read out via DV (Ieee) and let the Sony inside converter generate a DV.avi.

The only advantage I see actually is that the Sony generates the DV signal when it only exist.... and if a cassette is not fully recorded... it will stop the capture an not generate an empty files... if the signal comes back it restart automatically the capture....

My worry is just about wich system is giving the best quality result : Sony integrated digitalizer or the NX one...

Thanks for help

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
trillium

Why not test each option and see what looks best on your system?
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Why not test each option and see what looks best on your system?
Of course, I have done... but I don't see spectacular or sensitive difference...

To do the test, do I need a 8 or Hi8 that will provoke a visible difference ? Must it be a wonderfull genuine video take... or a very bad one that will push the digitalisations systems in their entrenchments.

Wich tool in Edius should I use to amplify the difference ?

My question was also to search for somebody having more higher level and acurate material I have, and having already done this analyse

Thanks to have follow

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Of course, I have done... but I don't see spectacular or sensitive difference...

To do the test, do I need a 8 or Hi8 that will provoke a visible difference ? Must it be a wonderfull genuine video take... or a very bad one that will push the digitalisations systems in their entrenchments.

Wich tool in Edius should I use to amplify the difference ?

My question was also to search for somebody having more higher level and acurate material I have, and having already done this analyse

Thanks to have follow
Y/C and DV (IEEE1394) are about the same quality so no, you should not see much difference in them.

Use whatever works better for your workflow.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
AJL14

Over the years of dubbing tons of Hi8 to the computer for editing, I've always found the DV (IEEE1394) has better stability that Y/C as far as time-base correcting. But I agree - if you have a TB Corrector already installed, then the transferred quality should look pretty much the same. I'm unfamiliar with the Sony200, but if it has a good Analog-to-digital processor, then I would prefer the DV 1394 output for your transfers.

Just my opinion, and good luck.
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Haddock

Thanks to both of you, I will use the DV link and be confident in the transcoder of the Sony...

You help me in spare of time...

Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
dpalomaki

DV has adequate bandwidth and S/N to exceed the potential of 8mm and Hi8. However, the main problem with 8mm/Hi8 to DV conversion is going to be the amount of noise in the original video on tape. Noise eats bits and can degrade the overall quality of the video captured to a lossy digital format. This is a concern especially if you plan to do any serious video correction/restoration where artifacts of lossy formats are compounded. (Same applies to other analog formats such as VHS/S-VHS).

Ingesting via IEEE1394 (Firewire) is convenient, and works well enough for many uses/users. Capturing the s-video output to a lossless format for restoration and editing before recompressing/coding to a distribution format may give better end results but will take more effort. (An external TBC may be necessary in the s-video stream.) In any case avoid capturing from composite video.

In some cases tape read errors cause problems with reliable IEEE1394 capture. Internal error correction in the player may make capture via s-video work better for these tapes.

If the simpler workflow gives you (and any paying clients) the results you are seeking that is what matters.

The GV-D200 has worked well for me.

FWIW: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/
is a site focused largely on capture and restoration of video from consumer analog tape formats. The folks there are somewhat obsessive about quality, and have clear opinions on the tools and techniques for doing this.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #8
Thor

With my GVD200, I capture Video8 and Hi8 with Y/C (S-Video), and Digital8 with firewire, using either NX or SP hardware.

My opinion is that S-Video is better for analog tapes with this unit.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
bobbyd

Default DAZZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Hello,

Just to have an advice or recommendation for the best reliable quality.

Video Format : 8/Hi8 (analogic)

Matériel used to read the cassette : Sony GV-D200E : output available : DV (IEEE) - Y/C - composite

Material used to capture : Edius NX Xpress with bay : inputs : DV (IEEE) - Y/C - composite.

So I have 2 possibilities :

1) Read out analogic Y/C... to NX input Y/C and let Edius create the HQ.avi via the videocard (with TBC included I think).

2) Read out via DV (Ieee) and let the Sony inside converter generate a DV.avi.

The only advantage I see actually is that the Sony generates the DV signal when it only exist.... and if a cassette is not fully recorded... it will stop the capture an not generate an empty files... if the signal comes back it restart automatically the capture....

My worry is just about wich system is giving the best quality result : Sony integrated digitalizer or the NX one...

Thanks for help
I have been using "DAZZLE" for years to capture VHS, VHSC, 8mm and Super 8. It works great with a USB connection and software that comes with it. After capturing I bring it into Edius and do any color correction necessary and add filters where appropriate then burn to DVD or BluRay.
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Haddock

First, thank you to you all for your advice.

So : Y/C capture seems beter... but it's beter to have a TBC in between... Did the Edius NX xpress card not have a bild-in one ?

I will take decision depending the average quality... and taking into the advice of dpalomaki... wich is crossing my one... Noise is "gourmand" of bites and need less compression during capture. In this case of lower quality I have to use analogic output (as for VHS) with HQ codec...

Thanks again

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS