Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
Los68

Default Video capture cards...?

Been out the loop for awhile trying to get back into editing.

I have an old ADVC-50 that went due to the connections on on the board that I couldn't repair.

So my question is what is similar that I can use that won't break the bank for editing here and there?

Thanks in advanced.
Los68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:11 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los68 View Post
Been out the loop for awhile trying to get back into editing.

I have an old ADVC-50 that went due to the connections on on the board that I couldn't repair.

So my question is what is similar that I can use that won't break the bank for editing here and there?

Thanks in advanced.
Closest current thing that I am aware of would be a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. They come in external USB and Thunderbolt boxes, not a card with bay mount option firewire device like the 50 was.

The Thunderbolt is good for a Mac. Windows systems don't tend to be good with thunderbolt, so the usb one is a better option for Windows, but it is picky over the USB controller. It tends to work good with Renases chipsets, but not good with others.

If you go that route, get a Renases based USB3 card as well.

Most other devices out there that will do good analog capture are either low end $20 to $50 consumer boxes (ie. dazzle) or much more expensive cards like the AJA cards or the Blackmagic Decklink cards. Stay away from the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, as it does not capture correct analog video levels.

If you don't mind used or discontinued items, assuming you can find something on eBay or the like, the Matrox MX02 boxes and GV cards were good. So was the original Blackmagic Intensity Pro (not the newer 4K variant). I recently picked up the MX02 Mini MAX in my signature as an unopened new old stock item on eBay for $100 (used to retail for about 6 times that price), so you may be able to get something similar, or a GV card if your edius version is older than Edius 7

You will need Edius 7 or later to use any of these 3rd party devices. Earlier versions had to use GV hardware, but you would also want to confirm compatibility with your version of Edius.

Unfortunately, the cheaper Pro/Prosumer I/O devices have been given up by everyone except Blackmagic, so the choices for newer more affordable devices are somewhat limited.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 11-24-2018 at 11:02 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
GrassValley_SL

Which makes sense. The I in I/O is not as important as it used to be in the prosumer market. With digital acquisition the need to "capture" in that market is really small.

In Broadcast there is still need for capture, from "switched" content live links and such.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Which makes sense. The I in I/O is not as important as it used to be in the prosumer market. With digital acquisition the need to "capture" in that market is really small.

In Broadcast there is still need for capture, from "switched" content live links and such.
Agreed. The analog capture requirement is not nearly as big an issue as it used to be, and explains the reason that most manufacturers have stopped servicing that market.

The majority of people in the consumer world that do this are ok with the price of the Dazzle boxes, and would not want to spend a few hundred for something that is "Prosumer." Unfortunately, those that still operate in that middle Prosumer area are left with fewer choices.

However the failure of the IP4K to capture correct levels is a design flaw in that card as the specifications say that it should. This particular issue has been discussed many times her on the forum, as well as other forums.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
David Clarke

The Intensity Pro 4K only has a problem with component capture. Composite and SVIDEO is ok.

Los68 do you need an external box like the ADVC or are you using a desktop machine into which you can put a PCIe card? If the latter do not get the Shuttle and get a PCIe card instead. As BernH says they can be very picky about whether they work with your USB3 chipset.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Last edited by David Clarke; 11-24-2018 at 09:50 AM.
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
DigitalDave

Just to clarify only the 4K - the older intensity pro in component is fine.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #7
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
The Intensity Pro 4K only has a problem with component capture. Composite and SVIDEO is ok.

Los68 do you need an external box like the ADVC or are you using a desktop machine into which you can put a PCIe card? If the latter do not get the Shuttle and get a PCIe card instead. As BernH says they can be very picky about whether they work with your USB3 chipset.
I got the IP4k shortly after they were released. I tried a composite capture, but the levels were not right with what appeared to be a substantial gamma and black level shift.

BM had tried to fix this in the driver since the initial release, and they may have improved it since my test, but I never did try to do it again. Also, i am in NTSC land, so it is possible that it is/was working better in PAL.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
Liverpool TV

If you can get your hands on something that's DirectShow Capture capable with analogue interfacing, it may be worth giving it a try. I've tried three solutions that Edius will see, although these aren't analogue.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
ulyssesvideo

I still have my canopus dv storm card working in my pc that was built in 2003.
fantastic card for analogue!
it was one of the best editing systems around back then.
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
dpalomaki

Analog SD capture? Are you looking at it for quick conversion to digital media work, or for detailed and time consuming restoration of old video?
Component, s-video, or composite sources?

Lately I've used an ADVC300 or a BM Intensity Pro (not the 4K). Also for quick turnaround projects w/o editing a direct dump (S-VHS VCR-TBC-DVD recorder) using a Toshiba DVD recorder.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories