Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Pete

Default Smart Sound

Hi, As a Edius newbie coming from Avid Liquid, I obviously have quite a number of Smart Sound music, how do I import them into Edius.
I have looked and tried everything, as obvioulsy I need access to music.
Pete
Melbourne .Australia
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Bassman

I just export out of Smart Sound and import the wave into Edius.
Bassman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
TrackRanger

There's no integrated support (yet), but there is a feature request item for same. It's been there a long time. You might like to add your vote...

Like Bassman mentioned, I too just work out the length of the segment I want, create it in SmartSound, Export it to disk, Import it into Edius, and drag it to the timeline. It's pretty quick doing it this way, but that native support would be better.
Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub
TrackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
tingsern

Don't choose loosy compressed format for export. Best is PCM (48Khz - 16 bits) WAV file.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
DigitalDave

I would also add to the excellent advice about using 48K -16bit to remember to save the Smart Sound project. I always export to wav with the length added on to the name- ie "serenity36" then if the 36 second segment becomes 5secs longer I change it within SS and resave as "serenity41" - simple and obvious really.

DD
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Bluetongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hi, As a Edius newbie coming from Avid Liquid, I obviously have quite a number of Smart Sound music, how do I import them into Edius.
I have looked and tried everything, as obvioulsy I need access to music.
Pete
Melbourne .Australia
Pete
I dont mind not being able to integrate from the timeline, it would be great and I have voted for it but my way around this is to export a SD version of my video or sequence, bring this into Smartsound 5
Import the sound track from the video which gives a visual indication on the Smartsound timeline of where the naration etc is and use this to cut the music to change the mood for quieter or different instruments during the naration
Before exporting the music make sure you have "MUTED" the video sound track and then use the "Add File" function on the EDIUS timeline, and both applications are open together
Worth a try
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Jerry

It is all about backtiming. Something I learned a long, long, time ago in a distant past. Back in my college years I use to do an early, early morning stint on the college radio station. You never know what you learn early will come into play later in life.
We had to backtime records, notice I said records, to match network feeds to end songs as the feed would start. This has helped me with audio in my videos since day one.
You know, all that analog training has helped me more than you would think.
One thing, I do appreciate digital alot more than those who have never had to resort to 'on the fly' tricks to get things to work.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I do appreciate digital alot more than those who have never had to resort to 'on the fly' tricks to get things to work.
Same feeling here, I started out slicing audio tape (razer & patience) to get a soundtrack going, those were the days .................

I do agree, the digital age has many advantages, it would be nice to have a seamless integration, but as it is now, I can play the HQ clip in SS and be very precise in adjusting, only SS timeline zooming could use an overhaul :)

p.s Barry's example to bring in the audio on a separate track in ss is indeed a very good work flow, visual wave of the video audio and the possibility to mute either one/multiple tracks
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
tingsern

Same here as well. I worked as an audio engineer in Abbey Rd studios (London) in 1980. Reel to Reel tapes were the kings that time. Had to spice tapes as well ... hee hee. Recording things like the ECO and LSO ...
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Pete

Hi Barry,
Yes I remember in the past I think I used to do the same. I'm a bit embrassed though, I ahve forgotton how to run Smartsound out side of an editing suite. Can you rimnd me, and how you do it?
regards
Pete
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
Pete
I dont mind not being able to integrate from the timeline, it would be great and I have voted for it but my way around this is to export a SD version of my video or sequence, bring this into Smartsound 5
Import the sound track from the video which gives a visual indication on the Smartsound timeline of where the naration etc is and use this to cut the music to change the mood for quieter or different instruments during the naration
Before exporting the music make sure you have "MUTED" the video sound track and then use the "Add File" function on the EDIUS timeline, and both applications are open together
Worth a try
Regards Barry
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS