Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
hlips

Default capturing VHS tape footage

dear Edius friends,

Trying to capture VHS footage directly into Edius with Dazzele Videograbber.
video works but there's no sound (audio). see screenshot.

can you help me?
much obliged,
Hansdazzle.jpg

Motherboard: Intel Asusp9x79, processor intel core i7 4820k, KINGSTON VALUE 4x4Gb ddr3, Graphics Card Geforce 640GT(4Gb)
hlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #2
antonsvideo

VHS PAL is 720x576 and not 640x480

also, VHS does not capture with embedded audio as seen in your image, you need to choose the RCA analog audio input

I am not familiar with your capture card

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
DigitalDave

Apart from the fact that the size (as Anton has flagged) and codec (Uncompressed) is wrong, the device is a USB device and may not even work with Edius. I dont know anyone who uses this box with Edius. Also why is the output in HD - dump it and get a Blackmagic Intensity.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
bobbyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlips View Post
dear Edius friends,

Trying to capture VHS footage directly into Edius with Dazzele Videograbber.
video works but there's no sound (audio). see screenshot.

can you help me?
much obliged,
HansAttachment 20070
I have Dazzle. The unit comes with it's own software. I capture with it and then bring the footage into Edius for editing. Works great.
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Haddock

I still use this one : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/EDIUS-NX-HDV...AAAOSwu4BVtdN8

Rock solid. Usable with reliability since Edius 5.... Disavantage to edit and see on external TV you need a monitor with component inputs and RCA for the sound.

Or this one : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Canopus-Gras...cAAOSweTlcfjru

wich is also very stable. Big advantage it can capture analogic or digital... and editing on external TV with a simple HDMI cable (sound included)

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

Last edited by Haddock; 03-11-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
dpalomaki

The Dazzle is far from the best product to use for transferring VHS to digital formats, but it it meets you needs that is what counts.

As suggested above, I would use the software provided with the Dazzle to capture the video at the highest quality (e.g., bit rate) it supports, an then bring that file into Edius for editing.

There is no good reason ever to capture SD video to a HD file, or convert it to a HD file for viewing on a HD system. Let upscaling in the playback system do that for you - it will give better results than any consumer/prosumer level software you can buy.

FWIW: VHS (and Video8, S-VHS, Hi8, & Beta) playback is best through an S-VIDEO connection, and often requires use of a TBC (time base corrector) to obtain a good stable signal for capture hardware.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
bobbyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
The Dazzle is far from the best product to use for transferring VHS to digital formats, but it it meets you needs that is what counts.

As suggested above, I would use the software provided with the Dazzle to capture the video at the highest quality (e.g., bit rate) it supports, an then bring that file into Edius for editing.

There is no good reason ever to capture SD video to a HD file, or convert it to a HD file for viewing on a HD system. Let upscaling in the playback system do that for you - it will give better results than any consumer/prosumer level software you can buy.

FWIW: VHS (and Video8, S-VHS, Hi8, & Beta) playback is best through an S-VIDEO connection, and often requires use of a TBC (time base corrector) to obtain a good stable signal for capture hardware.
All of the VHS footage that I transfer goes through a Panasonic AG-7650 always with the TBC on.
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Kurt Franz

another alternative is to pick up a used dvstorm2 card and edius 4.6. i still use mine regularly for capture of vhs and it works great. prob find one dirt cheap on ebay along with a stormbay.

just a thought
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Thor

I agree. Just picked up a used NX Express and bay with E5 and dongle for $40.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS