Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #131
GrassValley_PS

[QUOTE=Alter Ego;265443]Jerry I think users can put them themselves into your shoes and appreciate your vantage point, and I personally want to thank you and all the great forum moderators, GV staff and giving users that make this forum so great. But on the flip side, I think that any perceived barbs stem from stating that the GUI of 7 is gone forever and deal with whatever changes that may or may not be made. That is a huge point of contention for many. Down right scary actually. I'd probably be correct in saying that many people are a bit upset and frustrated by this. I think everyone means well.QUOTE]

Let me take a little time and hopefully clear up a few things. And I think I can speak to Jerry's comment as we have talked about it.

1. We assume that everyone here wants to make EDIUS better and we (GV) want to hear the comments. This has absolutely been the best editing forum I have been associated with , and their have been quite a few.

2. Steve and I as Moderators basically function as the janitorial service for the forum itself and as the liaisons between the users and the engineers as well as GV in general. In that role we try to influence the developers as much as possible, passing along the general thoughts of the group. And we try to explain as much as we can to the forum what GV is doing and how they operate. Yes we know more things than we can discuss but we try to balance things out.

But, you can imagine that there are many people (not just us) that are demanding their time to fix what they perceive as priorities; Marketing, sales, distributors, resellers, etc.. And everyone focuses on the area that directly influences them.

Although I thought I understood various workflows, it was not until I started getting out a lot and training multi focused groups did I appreciate how different peoples perspectives could be. What one person takes as an absolute number one priority, could be totally meaningless to someone else. That said, there are certain things that pertain to most groups.

3. To address the GUI (as we have before)...Let's be frank and say that no one is happy with it. The reason for the change is that they have several different programs that work in conjunction with EDIUS, and they wanted a redesign of the GUI in all of these so that they were similar. A very logical decision. However, I think we can all agree that the implementation left something to be desired. You have no idea how much time Steve and I as well as some other people that I cannot name have spent on trying to get things changed. And that is happening. Never at a pace fast enough to suit us, but we understand the reality of how this business works. Remember that this is an ongoing process.

We have no problems with letting people express their opinion of the GUI. Frankly we want people to so we can use that as data to back up our claims to perpetuate change. And we understand the initial burst of negativity (we had the same thing). What we now need is for people to state what they don't like, why, and examples if possible. Sometimes because of the language problems it is much more effective to show a picture (and PLEASE use the Manage Attachments section for pictures in the forum!!!).

What we don't want is for people to just continually insert into forums that the GUI sucks or GV doesn't care or other such comments that have nothing constructive to do with the threads. We have a few people that are currently doing that and we are just going to delete those posts. Simply leave out the sarcasm (which generally gets lost in translation anyway) and negative comments for the sake of being negative. As Kurt so aptly put it, and Jerry so aptly commented, we want CONSTRUCTIVE criticism with supporting data and suggestions. As my Dad used to tell me, "don't complain about it unless you have a better alternative solution.

4. Since I have made the most posts on what is happening, I assume the "Barbs" comment about not going back to the previous GUI, is more directed at me. I am not quite sure how that is interpreted as barbs. People generally want to know what is going on and like a level of transparency. There have been a few posts on here (even from some of the more knowledgeable users) about the possibility of going back to the old GUI. I am just flat telling as honestly as possible, that is not a possibility. My motivation for doing this is not to be short or curt in anyway, but so you will know that putting your energy into pursuing that path is a waste of time. Rather, it would be much more productive, to put that same amount of energy into getting the new GUI to the level of optimization that we would all like. Hopefully this does not make this "...a huge point of contention for many. Down right scary actually. I'd probably be correct in saying that many people are a bit upset and frustrated by this." I am trying for the opposite in that I am being truthful and saving people from the frustration of false hope.

I will add that it is personally frustrating when you think you are simply giving people the facts so they can make better use of their thought process and somehow it is perceived as making a negative comment. Maybe I need to work more on my communication skills.

5. As a last comment, I want to say that I am going to create a new thread just for GUI discussion as it is taking away from too many other various questions on 8.1. Thanks for your help.
http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...448#post265448
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #132
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I also found this to be an issue as well. I was trying to move and organize clips into different folders and couldn't tell where they were landing.
that is a reported bug

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #133
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
GV Browser not closing fully, still shows in Task Manager and prevents or delays Windows 7 Pro from shutting down.

(Repeatable)
Can anyone else confirm this please?

Since I wrote that if I restart GV Browser without killing the still running process then a further process gets added to Task Manager's list. Often I have to kill them all to be able to exit Windows without a forced shutdown.

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #134
David Clarke

I have only had GV Browser problems when it is registering files and one of the files is corrupt or sometimes has a codec it does not support. Apart from that it has not been an issue.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #135
GrassValley_PS

Sorry, I cannot confirm that Claire. It closes here. EDIUS sometimes takes up to 30 sec to disappear from Task Manager, but I think that is because I have a large amount of plugins.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #136
Roland Schulz

Would be interesting for me if some "idiosyncracies" of GV browser could be verified by others or/and have been reported to GV:

On a QuickSync machine (e.g. 4770k on Z87 running Win7/64) playback of 4k/UHD files (23.98p, 3 different cameras) becomes jerky after some usage. Playing the first clips after a restart runs fine with ~20% CPU load. After some usage framerate drops to let´s say 5fps and CPU load reaches ~95%. Even when nothing is done/played, simply GV browser is in foreground, CPU load ist ~60%. Everthing is fine again after a restart.
This was the very same in E8 before the update, especially when using newer Intel drivers.
I have NO problems with FHD files! Using GV browser without QuickSync (deactivate Intel VGA) shows bad performance using UHD files here.

On my system, also reported by Claire, GV browser stays in task manager with about 500MB after closing - for "ever", if it´s not closed manually!
This doesn´t depend on QuickSync since Claire´s CPU doesn´t support that.
This "dead" rests sum up if I restart GV browser several times.

The folder tree on the bottom left often doesn´t show the full folder name after lets say the 3rd subfolder. "2015.07.15" becomes "2015.07" for example - happy searching! This only seems to happen when files are stored on a server and not locally.

Nice to haves:

Screen proportions and layout is saved after closing, but layout of the file browser unluckily is not. Even sorting in the list is reset to "default". "Last state" would be better.

JKL shuttle "would be nice" in the browser to get a fast overview over the clip.

Display of the current position (time) would be nice without the need for the audio level superimpose.

Roland.
Intel i9 9900K@5.0GHz/XPX LC, ASUS MAXIMUS HERO X Z370, 32GB RAM, Samsung 850PRO 512GB/850EVO 1TB, 18TB RAID1/10, EVGA GTX1070 FTM, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, EIZO CG276, EIZO CS240, SONY KD-65ZD9, SONY PXW-X70(4K), SONY a6500, SONY RX100M5a, 2x SONY FDR-X1000, SONY FDR-AX53, DMC-LX100, GoPro HERO6, 2x GoPro HERO7 Black and HERO5 Session, DJI Ronin-S, MOZA Air Gimbal, Nikon D4, DJI, Mavic 2 Pro, DJI Phantom 4 Pro
EDIUS 9.3WG, NB Titler Pro 5, Neat Video, NB FX, Adobe CC2018

Last edited by Roland Schulz; 11-13-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS