Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

View Poll Results: for green/blue screen you use ...
edius filter 27 84.38%
after effect with no plugin 4 12.50%
after effect and some Primatte plugin 1 3.13%
what is kromakey ? 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
opensource

Default chroma keying, blue/green screen, need advice

hello everybody,
I started in the advanced chroma keying.
I try to reach the proper setting, but the edges (in blue) will make me crazy.
Do you have any advice with Edius chromakey filters?

ps : My English is bad, but the blue screen and the actor are well (3 point) Lighting ...

Last edited by opensource; 12-17-2008 at 01:07 AM.
opensource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
Rusty

Proper lighting for chromakey is crucial for a proper key.
A light magenta light from behind generally gives a snappy key on green screen.

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
STORMDAVE

Source also plays a major part. DV/HDV footage is a bit harder to key than lets say DVCPRO50 or DVCPROHD footage.

Always light the green/blue screen as well. Do tests on the spot, key it. It's all based on trial and error.

EDIUS does good chromakeying for a real time solution. If you want to through a compositor such as After Effects, you will obviously have more control with spill suppresion, feathering, choking or whatnot. You don't really need to buy the Primatte plugin for AE, just use Keylight that comes with AE. It does a decent job. Mix a matte choker in there and you're good to go.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
antonsvideo

here are my rules:

1. when using blue screen, always light with blue gels over the redheads and balance for daylight, this will kill 99% of your problems, or use a backlight on the subject with a yellow gel

2. when using green screen, always light with 3200k redhead, this will kill 99% of your problems, or use a backlight on the subject with a magenta gel

also, fine tune as seen here
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...chromakey.html

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 12-18-2008 at 05:12 AM.
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
OneQuickSix

If you're using miniDV footage, that is about the worst thing (other than VHS or Hi-8, lol) that you could try to key. HOWEVER, I successfully pull great keys all the time with Ultra2. Unfortunately it is not sold individually any more, as Adobe now only sells it with the Suite. However, I see new and used copies floating around on eBay all the time.

For everything else, I use After Effects Keylight or a combination. Edius is good for quick keys and those that are going to be scaled down to hide the imperfections. I would never use Edius to key anything that was important or supposed to look professional. It is possible I suppose with the right footage and one heck of well lit scene and screen.

-Tim

PS> Another GREAT feature with Ultra2 is that you can have a live preview of your key and therefore make needed corrections to your lighting before you capture your video. Can't beat that!
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
redgum

Horses for courses! I think Edius is one of the best chroma keyers around and certainly outshines Ultra - I've used both for ages with a regular half hour television show.
I can understand your comments with NTSC DV and its 4.1.1 colour space but PAL DV 4.2.0 is predominantly green and great for keying.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

As Anton has posted it is all in the Lighting.
I also pull sharp clean keys on material shot on dvcam.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Bassman

I think Edius has a decent keyer, but I find it needs some edge controls for my taste.

If they had some more adjustments it would be the best option as it is real-time and so easy to preview.

But until Edius gets a proper alpha export option, it is tough to deliver the key to another person.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I think Edius has a decent keyer, but I find it needs some edge controls for my taste.

If they had some more adjustments it would be the best option as it is real-time and so easy to preview.

But until Edius gets a proper alpha export option, it is tough to deliver the key to another person.
Here Here!
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
jjbvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
here are my rules:
2. when using green screen, always light with 3200k redhead, this will kill 99% of your problems, or use a backlight on the subject with a magenta gel

also, fine tune as seen here
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...chromakey.html
I used 4 3200k redheads to light the green screen but no magenta gel with the backlight. It's DVCPro HD 720/25p footage. I'm still trying to improve the picture and to get rid of the spill. To be honest - I was somewhat disappointed to have this spill. Best results till now using the shape picker (better than the cancel color slider). See pictures: default and shape2.

Any suggestions to further improve the picture and/or future greenscreen shootings?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greenscreen_default.jpg (110.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Greenscreen_shape2.jpg (111.4 KB, 59 views)
jjbvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS