Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 04-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Fred Dwyer

Default Editing GoPro Footage

I normally edit any project as 1920 x 1080i at 29.97fps, which is the same that I'm shooting in my 3 cameras. Now I am looking at the GoPro Hero 5 and wonder if I can shoot their 2.7p at 30 fps and mix it into the same project. Will EDIUS really handle that? I understand from another recent thread that the audio sync will drift badly, but will the video work? What happens to the oversize 2.7p footage? Is it cropped, or is the full image simply converted to 1080? If I shoot at 60 fps do I have to use the speed control to speed it up to actual speed? Any info. about EDIUS editing GoPro footage will be appreciated.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.
Fred Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dwyer View Post
If I shoot at 60 fps do I have to use the speed control to speed it up to actual speed? Any info. about EDIUS editing GoPro footage will be appreciated.
Hi Fred.

If you're talking about shooting 59.94 to do slomo in a 29.97 project and want perfect half speed. Just right click on the 59.94 clip in the bin and force it's frame rate to 29.97 This will then read out at half speed giving perfect whole frames. This works for any footage that's natively at a higher frame rate than the project and will produce various speeds depending on the source frame rate.

You can use speed changes etc. as well. But it mostly won't be smooth even if you select nearest neighbour.

I'd be very careful using progressive in an interlaced project.

You may also get sync issues depending upon the GP version.

Also, and I don't want to sound like I'm teaching anyone to **** eggs. But people need to be precice when talking about frame rates. Don't abbreviate 29.97 to 30 as they are two different things that require different handling and project settings. There seems to be a certain amount of confusion on the forum regarding frame rates. It also explains why people may see interpolation artefacts, ghosting etc. and incorrectly assume Edius is doing something wrong if they've setup a project that isn't exactly the same as the footage. This usually happens where people are from NTSC frame rate territories or mixing film rates with their NTSC video counterparts.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
By the default whole image is scaled to your project setting (keeping aspect). You can change this with Layouter.
Just to add to what Andrew has said. Using 2.7 in a 1080 project gives a certain amount of play with reframing without losing optical resolution, especially if you've framed slightly wide. It also helps if altering the geometry of 2.7 in 1080, de-fisheye/barrelling etc. depending on what's doing the processing.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Fred Dwyer

Thanks for your help.

Re: Liverpool--- I wasn't referring to 59.94 and 29.97 footage as 60 and 30 fps. As I understand it (and heaven knows I may be wrong) GoPro shoots 60 and 30 fps. If I'm in error about that, please correct me.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Re: Liverpool--- I wasn't referring to 59.94 and 29.97 footage as 60 and 30 fps. As I understand it (and heaven knows I may be wrong) GoPro shoots 60 and 30 fps. If I'm in error about that, please correct me.
Hi Fred.

The GP does indeed shoot 29.97 and 59.94, this is NTSC in the GP setup, not 30 and 60. This is why I was making a point of the difference. Therefore, if you've assumed 30 and 60, which it does appear you have, you will have issues if you've treated it as 30 or 60.

BTW. I was making a general statement for anyone reading and it wasn't something aimed at you.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Fred Dwyer

Talking

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm thinking of buying a GoPro but haven't yet. In the mean time I'm trying to learn all I can about them. Do you use a GoPro?
Any general comments? The manufacturer advertises the GoPro as shooting 30, 60, 120, 240 fpm and even in the owner's manual they fail to use any other numbers. I just took them at their word. Foolish me.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm thinking of buying a GoPro but haven't yet. In the mean time I'm trying to learn all I can about them. Do you use a GoPro?
Any general comments? The manufacturer advertises the GoPro as shooting 30, 60, 120, 240 fpm and even in the owner's manual they fail to use any other numbers. I just took them at their word. Foolish me.
Hi Fred.

I've used them for some time and think they're awesome for certain stuff. PaulTV has a modified one with the separate lens adapter on it, it's amazing.

You're right, GP do say 30 and 60. It really ****** me off when a manufacturer can't even get their specs correct and just add confussion to the equation. Their published specs say 30 and 60, yet their cameras say PAL and NTSC. Both PAL and NTSC, aside from their respective traditional analogue colour modulation and SD frame resolutions, still have their unique broadcast frame rates regardless of traditional resolutions, as ratified by SMPTE.

It really is a mess when manufacturers use numerical shorthand to describe what should otherwise be a straightforward technical process.

The 120 and 240 are what they are and correct, but these have no bearing on traditional PAL or NTSC frame rates and are not world broadcast SMPTE standards.

If you have any specific questions I'll try and help out, although there are a number of other users on the forum that use GPs, and PaulTV is a genius with them.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #8
Fred Dwyer

Hi Dave:

Thanks again. I'll try not to trouble you too much, but I have been concerned about editing GoPro footage in EDIUS. You mention caution concerning using progressive footage in an interlaced project. How would you deal with GoPro footage when I usually shoot interlaced for eventual delivery on DVD?

One other point, I am concerned about low-light performance since my shooting often involves church interiors which are not terribly bright, not as bad as a night club of course. Any comments along those lines??

Regards,
Fred
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
Ron Evans

I use GOPro and Sony headcams when I ski. On these trips I also shoot with a little Sony still camera , the HX30V. When I edit I do them all on a 59.97 interlace timeline whether they shoot progressive or interlace. Since I make DVD or Bluray for everyone. I think my early GoPro was interlace ( given it to my grandson now he skis so stable it looks like it is on a stabilizer. Oh to be young again !!! ) and the others are progressive . I find the Sony better for me as the stabilizer is really useful if you move about. May get the latest Sony as it has the BOSS stabilizer in it like my NX30U or AX53.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Liverpool TV

Hi Fred.

Historically, Edius hasn't been so good at handling progressive footage in an interlaced project, or the other way round. Although I've not tried this with the latest version of 8.

The Hero5's footage plays out of sync in Edius, so be careful if you plan on using that. If you plan on using the 5 and it's audio interface, there's also a number of issues there as well. It has an option to record 'RAW' audio, which is just GP fancy/marketing talk for WAV. This is also problematic, especially with Edius.

I've updated this post with a video that may give you an idea of the potential issues. https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39710

The 5 also has a built in electronic stabiliser, which is very useful and while not being as good as a proper optical one, it's better than not having one. This will reduce your field of view by about 10 percent, which you probably won't even notice on such a wide lens and is only available on settings below 4K/UHD.

The most useful mode in my opinion is 2.7K linear. 2.7K gives you a bit of wiggle room if you shoot slitely wide and you're editing in 1080. Linear is a new FOV which de-barrels/fisheyes the picture a little while giving a wider FOV than GP's traditional narrow mode. Linear is now also available in the 4 after a firmware/software update.

I wouldn't recommend GPs in low light situations, unless you have no option. While they are amazing in certain conditions and environments, they're also not suited to others such as low light.

Cheers,
Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS