Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnandreturn View Post
Grass Valley should release an update to 8 that has the GUI fixes that are included in 9.
And by doing so, equalizing one of their biggest selling points? ;-)
Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
David Clarke

On that logic Grass Valley should never charge for anything because pretty much anything could be considered a bug fix by someone. The interface in EDIUS 8 works fine, the changes are not fixing bugs, just improving. I am also sure the user is buying the upgrade not just for the interface tweaks but for the other stuff he is confident he will get in the future even though he does not know what it is.

Other users will want to wait until a feature arrives they want and then buy it.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
oswaldbobb

Example, I use a software from a company that has the best slideshow software in the world. The cost for the software is $269.00. Every year around October the company comes out with a new version numerically now it is version 9, the upgrade cost is always $89.00, this upgrade claims to export now in 4k, which really is the only main thing from the other items that is listed. Well I contacted by email and questioned the rational of a user who purchased the software has to pay $89 dollars every year for the new version, I suggested that the user should at least get a discount price. The company replied back to me saying that I do not have to buy the new upgrade version 9 if I don't want, but I can wait when there is a sale on the product which just happens. About 2 weeks later I received in my email a discount coupon of 22% on the purchase of the Version 9 software because the company was celebrating their 30 year anniversary, well I bought the software right away. Just like the company 4k export was the new thing for their Version 9, and Grassvalley HDR is the new thing for their Version 9, but there is no Promo Code or sales.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
burnandreturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
On that logic Grass Valley should never charge for anything because pretty much anything could be considered a bug fix by someone. The interface in EDIUS 8 works fine, the changes are not fixing bugs, just improving. I am also sure the user is buying the upgrade not just for the interface tweaks but for the other stuff he is confident he will get in the future even though he does not know what it is.

Other users will want to wait until a feature arrives they want and then buy it.
The interface was broken and still is to some extent. Go back and look at the posts as to the interface issues. They broke it and I never read any comments that anyone thought the new interface was an improvement or a step forward. And there is a big difference between fixing bugs and adding features.

Your last statement David is what I had in mind with my upgrade to 8 but that didn't happen. No reason to think things will be better with 9.
Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
David Clarke

I know some people don't like the EDIUS 8 interface but many people are happy. Apart from me saying I am happy with it, which I have done on many occasions on these forums, other people have said they same thing.

The above doesn't help you if you don't like the interface, but it is true. The EDIUS 8 interface is not "broken" I use it all the time an it all works. If you don't like what it looks like that is different.

As for why people produce updates and charge for it, everyone has to make money somehow. GV produced lots of updates for EDIUS 8 which were very useful. That lasted two years. They have to make some money on EDIUS at some point so for more updates you have to pay for them.

The difference with EDIUS is you can choose not to pay for them. Premiere has had lots of updates including changes to the interface - there were huge moans that they changed the text colour from yellow to blue which people claimed were harder to see. But even if you want to keep using the old version with yellow text you have to keep paying for it. With EDIUS you can choose not to pay for the upgrade and GV will have to add something that is useful to you to get you to part with money.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
Jerry

The interface has had the same functionality as it did prior to the color change between 7-9. If you are considering the co!or change as having broken the interface, that is a color preference instead of operational reality.
Many improvements to the definition of the interface have been included into E9. It is far easier on the eyes.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
noafilm

What's broken in the interface? I"m still on 8 and it works fine for me.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:56 AM   #18
nath

Is 9 really allowing for "Background Conversion / Rendering"? ... did just find this "for the Workgroup version, in addition, e.g. the support of integrated subtitles (CC) and background rendering is planned" source so really no reason to get it. Too bad they had to split it up with Pro and WG.

I am also still on 8 Pro and it would be nice if all 12 cores would be utilized during rendering some simple SD stuff.

I have been hounding them for years to improve there tools. Sending videos on things that do not work or things that really need improvements. But it seems they spend their time on the website, instead.

Last edited by nath; 12-02-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #19
noafilm

Quote:
I am also still on 8 Pro and it would be nice if all 12 cores would be utilized during rendering
I can say for my particular system (see my signature) edius 9 is doing a lot better then edius 8 when it comes to use all 16 cores, I saw a very big performance gain with up to 2,5 times faster encoding in edius 9 wg using the same 4K files and render settings.. Not sure yet if this is only related to threadripper processors as I have not yet seen anyone with 8+ core intel processors getting the same results.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS