Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
nath

Default capture produces a lot of drop-outs

Is my SSD starting to fail?

Or is my camera or cable going bad on me?

This is very strange. Over the last few days, when capturing a live feed I get drop-outs. More and more drop-outs.

Under System Settings > Application > Capture, I have Edius setup so that a detection of the "capture event" it will divide the file. Each time a file gets divided I get two black frames at the end of the clip. I assume 2 dropped frames.

Anyone else ever experienced this sort of problem?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
THoff

You may need to execute a TRIM operation to allow garbage collection to take place. Which SSD do you have? TRIM implementations vary between manufacturers and firmware.

Some info on TRIM and why you should use it: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...ed-trim-right/

Last edited by THoff; 09-14-2016 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added link
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
nath

The drive is my D: drive, which I dedicated for capturing only. I found a Windows 10 pagefile on that it the other day, so I went ahead and band the system from using if for it's Paging File in Virtual Memory setup.

The type is: Crucial CT480M500SSD1 SSD. It worked fine for over 1 3/4 year. I keep filling it up with monster files, and unloading it...
Old 09-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
nath

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
You may need to execute a TRIM operation to allow garbage collection to take place.
I checked my TRIP setting and it looks like it was already enabled. This is what I got

Code:
C:\Users\me>fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set
Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 AM   #5
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

To have any kind of page file / log file running in parallel with the capture on the same drive is of course asking for trouble.
I would suspect something like AV giving problems while capturing but as you mentioned the problem only started a while ago and I assume you didn't change anything we can exclude that.

Is you system running Windows building protection and do you actively update it ?

EDIUS WG 9.52 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 AM   #6
THoff

If there was a page file on the drive or if it was regularly used for editing, then it would likely never be idle enough to allow garbage collection to take place.

The next time you can spare your PC for a couple of hours (like overnight), I would restart it and enter the BIOS or a boot device selection screen immediately after POST (usually be pressing DEL or F12) so it is powered up but not doing any I/O. That should allow the drive to do any necessary housekeeping.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #7
nath

I just noticed that the last three recordings did not have any drop-outs. (This is good news!)

I will boot into bios and let it sit for a couple for hours.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
antonsvideo

are you capturing via firewire? is so, are you using FW400 and not FW800?
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...re-driver.html

what is your EDIUS version?

what is your OS?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
Adbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
If there was a page file on the drive or if it was regularly used for editing, then it would likely never be idle enough to allow garbage collection to take place.

The next time you can spare your PC for a couple of hours (like overnight), I would restart it and enter the BIOS or a boot device selection screen immediately after POST (usually be pressing DEL or F12) so it is powered up but not doing any I/O. That should allow the drive to do any necessary housekeeping.
Or, as he's on Windows 10 he could just right click on the drive, bring up the properties, then go to the 'Tools' tab and choose 'Optimise'. If you then highlight the drive in the list and click the 'Optimise' button it will trim the SSD drive straight away

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS