Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #1
zvit

Default Import footage to Edius bin via Mync

Maybe I don't understand what Mync is for but I can say that for now, I don't need catalogs, libraries, storyboards... all I need is to import footage into Edius while keeping the folder structure (like if you were to drag a root folder into Edius from Windows).

Mync won't allow me to drag a FOLDER into Edius bin. I must click each folder and drag the clips. That means, if I have 5 folders in Windows, I must first create 5 folders in Edius bin. Not good.

I tried different options on a root folder to do in Mync "Import to..." as a test (and hopefully seeing it in the "Browser Source" in Edius) but Mync said "20 minutes left" which doesn't make sense since it takes about 10 seconds to drag otherwise. So I guess THAT import does something else besides just importing.

So, is there a way to just get a root folder from Mync into Edius? Or was Mync not meant to do that?
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edius 8.53 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
GrassValley_SL

Everything that is setup in Mync is accessible trough Source Browser->Mync

If you added the folder from explorer to the catalogs (drag and drop) it will available in the Source Browser via Mync. Just choose the catalog (folder) add to bin .

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Everything that is setup in Mync is accessible trough Source Browser->Mync

If you added the folder from explorer to the catalogs (drag and drop) it will available in the Source Browser via Mync. Just choose the catalog (folder) add to bin .
Ok, we're getting there!

Yes! Dragged a folder from "Folder" to "Catalog" and need to "refresh" the "catalog" in source browser and it's all there. Great!

Still need to drag each at a time though in Mync...
Is there anyway to just drag a ROOT FOOTAGE folder and have Mync do the guessing to display all sub folders with clips?

Also, what's the difference between Catalog and Smart Catalog (I probably could Google this but I'm lazy now :) )
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edius 8.53 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
GrassValley_SL

A smart folder lets you automatically search and add clips which are in your library based on meta data.

Example you can have clips recorded on a certain date go in a selected smart catatlog.
You can choose only audio, video or stills. You can select by comment or tag and much more. Think of a smart catalog as a EDIUS search folder on steriods. :)

Mync is an asset management program where you can organize and manage your assets.
If you are going to use Myn it is best do management to reap the benefits in EDIUS.

Once you understand how Mync works you will see how many benefits it brings to the table. If you have a large collection of stock/archive footage it makes it easy to find things really really fast. But you have to put some work in adding meta data . The beter your meta the beter the searches will be. That's why it is important if you archive to get the footage to the disk with the meta in tact.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
David Clarke

Anther use of Mync is to keep down the project size.

Don't bother to drag the folders of clips into EDIUS in the first place. If they are laid out in Mync use the source browser in EDIUS to look through them instead of the project window and just bring in clips you want.

That way you don't make the project too big by importing lots of clips you don't use.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS