Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
sandman300

Default Interface changes from 5 to 6?

Recently, I was capturing analogue video though my ADVC300 to edius 6.x and I had been having an issue. On the tapes I had the issue with, there are gaps in the video with no signal. When edius 6.x sees these spots, it cancels the capture. Although Edius 5.x has no problem with it. My thought was that there was some setting somewhere to ignore the error.

This is when I discovered that the settings panels have been reorganized a bit between 5 and 6. So the "skip errors and continue capture" check-box is gone. Anyone have an idea if it is just somewhere else or if it is gone completely? Any other ideas what I could do?

I tried passing the video through another deck on the way to the ADVC300 but that didn't help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture settings.jpg (320.7 KB, 31 views)
sandman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Alade

I may be wrong, but I think this is how it always worked...as long as there is no video signal, edius always stop recording..I never remembered any other wayexcept, I think, could e wron again, when I used the storm card, and the nX card, when capturing analog, it continued till I stopped itcant quite rememberbut always stopped with the firewire capture
Alade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
NakedEye

Hi sandman300

You are most likely seeing the result of a very poor recording that needs re-timing. The ADVC300 only has a line based TBC not a full frame TBC... your best bet would be to pick up a full frame TBC and put that in the mix... so deck -> TBC -> ADVC300. Make sure to set ADVC to external sync.

In version 5x with the first revision of HDStorm drivers I could capture almost anything over comp/YC with revision 2 of the HDStorm drivers the same sources needed re-timing... go figure.

Best
Dave.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Dave.

Do you know if there are different options between the different I/O cards?

The HDBX1000 that I use can capture analogue with blanks between content. Maybe this is down to TBC? as you say.

Cheers.

Dave
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
RayL

A few months ago I reported a related problem with Edius 6 (probably at .01 stage), though in my case it was that recording stopped at a dropout and then started when the signal was present again. This results in a file which is displayed on the timeline as being continuous, without any gaps.

As you can imagine, this is an absolute pain because it means very carefully going through the whole file on the timeline (often an hour long or more), cutting and re-syncing each time a jump in the video is found.

Having used the marvelous Canopus Storm Video program for SD capture, with its picture monitoring, timecode displays for tape position, recording length display, audio bargraph and quality checking on an external video monitor, it was a bit jarring to have this infuriating problem with Edius. Storm Video continues recording through dropouts, so the gaps are very easy to spot and no re-syncing is needed.

The replies I got were more to do with reproving me for using tape with dropouts than with providing a solution. Let's ask again - is there a tick-box for 'Record continuously through drop-outs'?

Ray
RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
SoundFreak_HD

Not at my edit machine now but there are about 4 or 5 settings regarding deviding file (either In deck or playback) on time code change etc, DESELECT ALL and you will get 1 big file.

P.s. I'm not familiar with the ADVC series, you might still need a TBC.

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
sandman300

NakedEye: I have another TBC available to me so I'll try that when I get the chance.

RayL:Oh, if only I had your problems. That would be much easier than having to constantly monitor the progress when the capturing might just cancel on its own. Especially when I'm capturing upwards of 6 hours of video per tape (I so dislike EP mode but a lot of people used it), as I type this I am capturing 3 different tapes to 3 different machines. Oh, what fun. Usually I'd only do one tape at a time but I'm under the gun on this one. I have 2 work days to capture 18+ hours of video and make DVDs.

SoundFreak_HD:If you look up to the first post of this thread, you'll see the pic I posted, the options for splitting files are there but what is happening is not splitting of files. Edius is canceling the capture when it sees an error. Ther used to be a check box for this but now it's gone.
sandman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
NakedEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Union Films View Post
Hi Dave.

Do you know if there are different options between the different I/O cards?

The HDBX1000 that I use can capture analogue with blanks between content. Maybe this is down to TBC? as you say.

Cheers.

Dave
Sorry Dave I don't know what options exist between the cards.... If your feeder deck has a good TBC built in then HDBX should capture anything thrown at it as there will always be a signal. HDBX may also have a TBC built in but I do not know. It is most likely that the parameters can be adjusted at the driver level with regards to tolerance of the incoming signal... I think this is what Pinnacle did with their cards to facilitate capture from a wider range of material. I think the difference may be between the consumer and professional environment... meaning there are times when you absolutely need to know that the timing is off and in the consumer environment it may just not matter all that much and you just want to capture regardless. For me personally I would add a good FF TBC. I think the GV cards are designed more for the professional environment hence stay close to the specs.

Under System Settings-->Application-->Capture there is an option to add a marker instead of dividing files at a capture event like timecode breaks etc so this may help RayL.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com

Last edited by NakedEye; 12-22-2011 at 03:08 AM.
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS