Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
trillium

Default built-in audio

I've used audio cards in my previous systems- wondering if the built-in audio on an i7 Dell 3630 will drag down the CPU too much in Edius 9 in this system or should I still go with a sound card- anyone have any experience with one of these systems and Edius 9?
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
noafilm

I use a Steinberg ur22mkII audio interface and have been very satisfied with it, I used to get interferance in my sound while playing back but with that external interface it all sounds very clean.
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
trillium

Thanks, not so concerned about the I/0 device just wondering if the mobo audio interface on the workstation will be too slow for timeline editing and/or put too much drain on the cpu. In other words is a sound card suggested in addition to built-in audio with HD Realtek drivers

thanks
Trill
Old 11-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
LewS

HD Realtek works fine with Edius.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
trillium

So Lew are you using the the built-in realtek codec that came on your mobo?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
noafilm

I never heared of a build in audio interface having an impact on system performance, I never have used a extra audio card with my older pc's combined with edius and never experienced any problems with it.
Your dell pc comes pre-installed so there should not be any driver issue to start with, just plugin your speakers, install edius and start editing. :)
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #7
LewS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
So Lew are you using the the built-in realtek codec that came on your mobo?
Yes. There are occasional updates. None have ever made a noticeable difference.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Liverpool TV

The only slight issues with onboard audio is the possibility of latency. This isn't an Edius problem but can be an issue sometimes depending on the chipset and it's own buffer.

Aside from potential latency issues with audio plugins within Edius, the handoff of the muxed Edius output/buffer to a dedicated video output will have the least issues. Although any particular card may well introduce its own latency issues compared to the GUI.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
trillium

Thanks guys, I'll try the onboard chipset first and see how it goes. For giggles I'm keeping a Win98 system "alive" so I can continue to use an old Yamaha YMF724 sound card circa 1998 to run some legacy music synths. The card contains the first ever acoustical modeling DSP, amazing near zero latency with midi keyboards. The chip is supposedly written in 80-bit code, sounds great.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Thanks guys, I'll try the onboard chipset first and see how it goes. For giggles I'm keeping a Win98 system "alive" so I can continue to use an old Yamaha YMF724 sound card circa 1998 to run some legacy music synths. The card contains the first ever acoustical modeling DSP, amazing near zero latency with midi keyboards. The chip is supposedly written in 80-bit code, sounds great.

Thanks for the help!
Hi Jim.

If the internal interface doesn't work out well for any reason, take a look at the Behringer UMC202HD https://amzn.to/2L1wA1L it's a very cheap high quality interface.

Funny you should mention physical modelling. I had the very first acoustic modelling synth and also a few synths that modelled analogue synths, basically oscillator, filter and waveform modelling.

If you take a look around you'll probably find info on some very early computer/sound card modelling that didn't use dedicated DSPs on the card but used the host CPU with software.

I've also got a very old system that I'd never get rid off as well, it's used as host for my Creamware Pulsar DSP.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories