Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
DigitalDave

Default Help Deleted Raid 5

Struggling to type this as I feel sick sick sick!!!!!
In a moment of madness preparing to switch a Mac formatted Drive to Windows I deleted the Volume of my 11TB Raid 5. instead of the 1TB drive

Now it doesn't show except that it is there in Disc manager.
It seems it is on an LSI mega raid controller.
Is there any simple way to recover this?
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
raptor9

Default Data Recovery

"Data Recovery" TOOL?
https://www.stellarinfo.com

rp9
raptor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
BernH

Whet do you mean by "deleted"?

Deleted the data? Removed the partition? Destroyed the raid stripe on the controller? Etc.

For data recovery, I pretty much swear by UFS Explorer https://www.ufsexplorer.com/

I have successfully recovered stand alone drives and raids (even Linux and bsd mdadm raids) in ntfs, hfs+, ext3, ext4, and ufs file systems. Like any data recovery tool though, you need to have enough free space on a different drive to restore the data to. Then you can rebuild the raid and copy the data back.

There are also tools that can attempt to recover a partition in place, that has been removed, but I prefer the ufs explorer for the sake of safety, since it is not trying to modify the drive you have the problem with so there is no risk of further data loss from a failed attempt to rewrite partition information.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 03-25-2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: fix typo
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Whet do you mean by "deleted"?

Deleted the data? Removed the partition? Destroyed the raid stripe on the controller? Etc.

For data recovery, I pretty much swear by UFS Explorer https://www.ufsexplorer.com/

I have successfully recovered stand alone drives and raids (even Linux and bsd mdadm raids) in ntfs, hfs+, ext3, ext4, and ufs file systems. Like any data recovery tool though, you need to have enough free space on a different drive to restore the data to. Then you can rebuild the raid and copy the data back.

There are also tools that can attempt to recover a partition in plce, that has been removed, but I prefer the ufs explorer for the sake of safety, since it is not trying to modify the drive you have the problem with so the is no risk of further data loss from a failed attempt to rewrite partition information.
OK here is what I did to "delete" the Raid.
Disk Management/ select (wrong drive)- right click/delete volume.
This came about as I needed to format a previously Mac HFS Formatted drive.
Most of the 9GB that was on the 11TB raid is backed up and the two projects that are "live", have the latest project changes saved in the C drive back-up.
(How many users dont set that up? USER settings/Project File/BackUp)

I have looked at two pieces of software that suggest they recover from Raid5 as well as speaking to two Data recovery programmes. At present I am taking stock...in between crying and looking in the mirror and calling what I see very rude names!
If I manage to recover the data one way or another the next hurdle will be to reinstate the raid however that is done....but that's a million miles away at present.

Thank you for heads up on the software, just been reading the website. Stay safe.
David
Old 03-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
ajcvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Struggling to type this as I feel sick sick sick!!!!!
In a moment of madness preparing to switch a Mac formatted Drive to Windows I deleted the Volume of my 11TB Raid 5. instead of the 1TB drive

Now it doesn't show except that it is there in Disc manager.
It seems it is on an LSI mega raid controller.
Is there any simple way to recover this?
There is a guy on this forum whose name is George Dame. He is my IT guy and is very knowledgeable. Give him a shout out. It can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Edius WG 9.51.5619, Intel Z370X Motherboard, i7-8700K 4.7 GHz 6 core, 12 Thread LGA-1151 CPU, GTX-1080 8GB Graphics card, 500GB M.2 PCIe NVM SSD, 16 TB Raid 0 Media Drive, 32 GB DDR4 Memory, Intensity Pro 4K AV I/O, CS 5.51 Production Suite.
ajcvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post

Thanks for the heads up Bern and also to ajc and raptor for suggestions.
I downloaded the trial of https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ufs-expl...d-recovery.php and all files showed up and after buying the S/N they are happily copying across to a 12 TB external. No idea how long the recovery will take
As I understand it, because the Raid is on an LSI 9260 card the drive still showed up as one drive.

The next obstacle to overcome is getting the Raid to show up as a drive.
Do I just reformat? Screenshot of Disc Manager.
Stay safe all...and dont be as stupid as me!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DM.JPG (79.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Thanks for the heads up Bern and also to ajc and raptor for suggestions.
I downloaded the trial of https://www.ufsexplorer.com/ufs-expl...d-recovery.php and all files showed up and after buying the S/N they are happily copying across to a 12 TB external. No idea how long the recovery will take
As I understand it, because the Raid is on an LSI 9260 card the drive still showed up as one drive.

The next obstacle to overcome is getting the Raid to show up as a drive.
Do I just reformat? Screenshot of Disc Manager.
Stay safe all...and dont be as stupid as me!!!!!!
Correct, on the LSI controller point. The controller looks after the RAID functions and makes the array appear as if it is one drive as far as windows is concerned. Once you get the files copied off, you should be able to simply re-format/re-partition as NTFS and copy the files back on.

Recovery of the files will likely take a while though, as UFS explorer operates differently than simply copying files in windows, and will not necessarily make use of copy buffers to speed the process.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #8
Bobba Looey

Default Data Reovery

https://www.reclaime.com/

I used this a few years back on a Raid I deleted. It worked!
Bobba Looey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
DigitalDave

Cheers Bern. Yes it is slow. I reckon it will be a few days before everything is 100% restored. Just as well work has dried up.

Sat 28 Here is the Update:
8hours for ufs software to scan the Raid
16 hours later to copy files onto 12TB external
2mins to quick format the Raid on the LSI card
14 hours to copy data back...and all is now back to where I was before my complacent lack of concentration caused such a disaster.

Last edited by DigitalDave; 03-28-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
spurfilm

Quote:
8hours for ufs software to scan the Raid
16 hours later to copy files onto 12TB external
2 mins to quick format the Raid on the LSI card
14 hours to copy data back
Wow, what a story. As a regular user of Raid 5 your experience is of great interest. I have always been very nervous of using Raid 5, so I have a backup clone of all my data on a cheap external 6TB HD. But it's good to know all is not lost if a drive goes down. You must be greatly relieved. I have made a note of UFS Explorer. Seems to be worth every penny.

Stay safe!
EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Tower > Win10 Pro 64-bit on 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Nanoxia Deep Silence Case, Asus X99-S Mobo, Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E @ 3.30GHz O/C to 4GHz, 32GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti 6GB + dual 1920x1080 monitors, BM Intensity Pro 4K + 3840x2160 monitor, LG Blu-Ray writer, Storage: 16TB WD RED RAID0. EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Field Laptop > Acer P645-M, 14" 1920x1080, 256GB SSD, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Intel dual-core i7-4500U Haswell @ 1.8GHz, 8GB DDR3.
spurfilm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS