Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #21
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by video178 View Post
If customer asks 4K video then how I convert 2k video to 4K to get good quality? Or need to buy a new camera shoot 4K. My camera only shoot upto 2k 1920x1080. Thanks
there is no chance a customer in Australia will ask you for 4k, and if one does, it is an opposition trying to check your pricing on 4k

I am offering programs in HD on a USB but most still prefer DVD, which is SD and there is 0.0000% request for Blu-ray

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #22
video178

If a client asks 4K then how you reply Anton
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
Liverpool TV

The bottom line to the original question is that HD upscaled to 4K/UHD won't look as good for resolution when compared to the exact same shot recorded at 4K/UHD if viewed on a UHD TV.

If however you sit at a proper viewing distance from the TV and not slam your face into the screen pixel peeping, most people simply won't notice the difference for a lot of content type.

If you take a well shot HD picture and upscale it to 4K/UHD then tell people that it's 4K/UHD, most won't question it, even professionals in broadcast.

Why? Because unless you tell people that they are being tested and give them a control element in the test, they aren't being as attentive and our brain simply ignores a lot of environmental information that it doesn't need in order to process the most important data/information that we need to go about our day.

Add to the fact that our visual system is one of the worst out of the higher life forms/mammals on the planet and bettered by many lower life forms.

Plus, as the person who asked the original question is from Australia. I wouldn't break a sweat over such things, as Anton's already told you that there's no chance you'll be asked for 4K from a customer in Australia.

Which I find quite sad really as it would appear that Australians are less sophisticated than the the rest of the world when it comes to descerning resolution. Although, that could possibly explain a few things about BlackMagic Design.

Anyway, a few tests should give you all the answers you need.

BTW. For the person who asked the original question. I'd suggest you take a step back and learn some fundamentals about video as it does appear that you're getting beyond yourself. First off, you may want to understand the differences with recognised resolutions, HD is not 2K and it also helps to know what flavour of 4K you are really talking about. As for asking about prices for cameras. A Google search would have been far quicker than to have asked the question on a forum full of people with conflicting advice and would yield more useful information.

In fact, I'm quite surprised that many of the users on this forum don't do their own research or tests, given that they've obviously got Edius and internet access.

Seriously, Google is your friend.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
noafilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
there is no chance a customer in Australia will ask you for 4k
Just curious but do you know why that is? I know you speak from own experience but does that mean not a single videographer in Australia is offering 4K to their clients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by video178
Simple, if you only have a HD camera then you tell your client you can't deliver a 4K film.

If you want to deliver 4K you have to shoot in 4K, the difference becomes most visible when it's viewed on very large 4K screens, there you will see the difference between HD and 4K more easily, even from a normal viewing distance. I have a 43 inch HD and 4K tv to compare and the difference is only visible when you stand closer to the screen.

With 50 inch+ 4K tv's however where I have seen my films at clients homes the difference become more obvious from a normal viewing distance. The reason why I know is that I deliver a wedding trailer, highlight, ceremony, speeches as seperate films in HD as standard but I do include the trailer and highlight extra as 4K film now and upsell the remaining films in 4K if they want ceremony etc in 4K as well. Especially the clients with very big screens purchase the other films in 4K because they can compare and clearly see the difference.

Last edited by noafilm; 01-07-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
DigitalDave

Noa, I think the same is similar in the UK. Sure some of the top end wedding guys are delivering 4K, some shot on better kit than others. For Broadcast the majority of supplied content is HD
http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/w...rdsBBCFile.pdf
Sure, Sky and BT Sports transmit LIVE in 4K but most programmes are HD
Live Multicam events may well have a 4K iso for any Post Prod fixes.

For the corporate market, some would still be using SD 4x3 - and not know any better... the only K that 95% are interested in is ŁK.

Call me a sceptic but I struggle to believe that the o/p had such a request.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #26
noafilm

In my case it's rare that my clients are asking for 4K yet I am able to upsell it to those that can see the difference, that's why I do deliver a part of their films in 4K for them to decide if it's worth the extra investment.

Most say they want to pay extra to have all their films in 4K because they believe it's more futureproof and because they know they are getting the film in the best possible quality. That's my clients words after having seen HD vs 4K, not mine.

The thing is, if you don't ask or show, your clients will also not care or ask and you will be delivering dvd's for many years to come because your clients don't know any better. I had to educate some of my regular clients in order to get rid of making, burning and printing dvd's, now I make one film, place it online and they can download as much as they want and I work for a fixed price instead of a price depending on sold dvd's. I might be earning a bit less in some cases but I save a lot of time and if they want a change afterwards I can do that in edius, export and upload and be done, that's the future for me. I eventually want to move to a full download option only.

I do understand that for corporate market that is much more difficult or almost impossible to change but again here, if you just keep delivering what they ask without trying to educate them you will be delivering dvd's forever.

I stopped offering dvd's as standard 2 year ago but still have it as paid option, I still get very few requests for extra dvd but I expect to take that option out next year and don't offer it at all as I don't see the need to deliver a inferior product anymore.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #27
video178

is it the best way to upscale 2k to 4k -- steps
create a new project 4k/UHD then choose Lanczos3 HQ and 20% sharpness to the clips HD then edit and export

Done ? because i don`t have experience this. Thanks all
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
noafilm

You could edit in a HD project as that is less demanding for your processor and when the edit is done switch to a 4K project and follow the steps Anton had suggested.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #29
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by video178 View Post
I show them one of my USB HD sticks plugged in to a 4k TV and they are blown away

because the 4k TV upscales HD very well, better than if you did it in EDIUS

the same goes for DVD, if you play a DVD in a Blu-ray/DVD player connected to TV via HDMI, it looks very good, but as soon as you use a standard DVD player with composite cables, it will look crap

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
I show them one of my USB HD sticks plugged in to a 4k TV and they are blown away

because the 4k TV upscales HD very well, better than if you did it in EDIUS

the same goes for DVD, if you play a DVD in a Blu-ray/DVD player connected to TV via HDMI, it looks very good, but as soon as you use a standard DVD player with composite cables, it will look crap
Do you not think that showing your clients a 4K/UHD version and letting them decide for themselves whats best, the upscaled HD version or the native 4K UHD version, is maybe a better thing to do?

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS