Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
swsw1550

Default Premiere CS4 or Edius

Hi,
Just had a look at the new Adobe Premiere CS4 at a trade show, (should have it soon but can not say anything at the moment) Think I will be leaving Edius and going Back to Premiere, they have soughted out many problems with it, including Encore, after effects, ect,

cheers
Steve
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Ingwe

I would not go to PPRO CS4 at present it has had to be improved a **** sight more , PPRO2 is stables and i uses it alot and it works, PPRO3 for me was a just problems and headaches etc ...... I cannot see Adobe giving me the RT out like Edius or the speed to edit a program. Yes Edius is not 100% there are problems but for a workhorse day to day fast editing edius just cannot be beat.

So what does the new CS4 offer new or more and that is not buggy and that works ....... As for now Edius still floats my boat
Ingwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Ingwe

Here is some info from

Adobe Premiere CS4 Premium Release with third party content | 665MB Adobe Premiere Pro is a real-time, timeline based video editing software application. It is part of the Adobe Creative Suite, a suite of graphic design, video editing, and web development applications made by Adobe Systems, though it can also be purchased separately. Even when purchased separately, it comes bundled with Adobe Encore and Adobe OnLocation. Premiere Pro supports many video editing cards and plug-ins for accelerated processing, additional file format support, and video/audio effects. Premiere Pro is the redesigned successor to Adobe Premiere, and was launched in 2003. Premiere Pro refers to versions released in 2003 and later, whereas Premiere refers to the earlier releases. Although the first two versions of Premiere Pro only supported Windows, Premiere Pro CS3 is available for both Windows and Mac OS (only Intel-based Macs are supported), making it one of the few cross-platform NLEs available. Premiere Pro is being used by broadcasters such as the BBC[1] and The Tonight Show[2]. It has been used in feature films, such as Dust to Glory, Captain Abu Raed[3], and Superman Returns[4] (for the video capture process), and other venues such as Madonna's Confessions Tour[5]. Premiere Pro supports high quality video editing at up to 4K x 4K resolution, at up to 32-bits per channel color, in both RGB and YUV. Audio sample-level editing, VST audio plug-in support, and 5.1 surround sound mixing are available for high audio fidelity. Premiere Pro's plug-in architecture enables it to import and export formats beyond the constraints of QuickTime or DirectShow, supporting a wide variety of video and audio file formats and codecs on both MacOS and Windows. Version 1.5 improved support for high-definition video content, and added new project management tools and new filters. It also included support for 24p footage (such as footage from Panasonic's DVX-100). Version 1.5.1 added support for HDV. Version 2.0 further refines 24p and HDV editing, and it is the first major NLE to natively support the Canon 24F[6] format on cameras such as the Canon XL H1, with an additional update.[7][8] Since version 2.0, Premiere Pro has required a processor that supports SSE2, which is unavailable in some older processors.[9] Premiere Pro CS3 added support for output to Blu-ray Disc, MPEG-4/H.264 and Flash-based web sites, as well as Time Remapping, an easy-to-use variable frame rate implementation. Starting in Premiere Pro CS3, Adobe Encore is included for authoring menus and interactivity for DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, and Flash projects for the web. Adobe OnLocation (Windows-only) is also included for direct-to-disc recording and monitoring. Updates to Premiere Pro CS3 have added native support for new camera file formats. 3.1 added native Panasonic P2 MXF import, editing, and export of DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD material. 3.2 added native XDCAM HD and EX import and editing. Integration Premiere Pro is integrated heavily with Adobe After Effects, an industry-standard for motion graphics and compositing. Compositions from After Effects can be imported into Premiere Pro and played back directly on the timeline. The After Effects composition can be modified, and after switching back to Premiere Pro, the clip will immediately update with the changes. Likewise, Premiere Pro projects can be imported into After Effects. Clips can be copied between the two applications while preserving clip attributes. Premiere Pro also supports many After Effects plug-ins. Premiere Pro also integrates well with Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop files can opened directly from Premiere Pro to be edited in Photoshop. Any changes will immediately be updated when the Photoshop file is saved and focus returns to Premiere Pro. There are other integration functions, such as Edit in Adobe Soundbooth, Export to Encore, and Reveal in Bridge. Advantages over Premiere Elements An entry-level version, Adobe Premiere Elements, is available for the consumer market on Windows. Some of the notable advantages of Premiere Pro over Premiere Elements are multiple sequence support, high bit-depth rendering, multicamera editing, time remapping, scopes, color correction tools, advanced audio mixer interface, and bezier keyframing. Premiere Pro also includes Encore for more elaborate DVD menu authoring and Blu-Ray authoring, and OnLocation for direct-to-disk recording. Premiere Pro faces competition in the marketplace from Sony Vegas, products from Avid, and Apple's Final Cut Pro
Ingwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
STORMDAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsw1550 View Post
Hi,
Just had a look at the new Adobe Premiere CS4 at a trade show, (should have it soon but can not say anything at the moment) Think I will be leaving Edius and going Back to Premiere, they have soughted out many problems with it, including Encore, after effects, ect,

cheers
Steve
Do you really need to use Dynamic Link?
I for one have the whole CS3 Production Bundle and I never use it. The only time I would use it is if I authored a motion/still menu with Encore.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
narik

never go back on premiere..Edius best, wait anxiously Edius 5..
narik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by narik View Post
wait anxiously Edius 5..
Besides the well documented bugs since ver. 1.x still in 4.x, what is there to wish for ............ did I miss something ?

Output speed (true multicore usage) / quality (hd to sd) improvements are always welcome !
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
majormauser

Ahhh Premiere...

But is its interface intuitive? Is it fast you ask? Does it have very few features ?

The answer to all these questions is a firm NO! Its interface is confusing, Its slow as a sloth when compared to Edius and it suffers from something I would never would consider a problem..... Feature Bloat. I love the slick interface and dedicated feature set that Edius offers. I would get both because all the other programs are useful. But if your main purpose is editing, my opinion is your money is best spent on Edius.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Tobe

and is Final Cut Pro any better in intuition or feature set or speed?
Or does Edius still win?

i7 8700K @ 3.70 Ghz/16 gb RAM
windows 10
284 gb SSD boot drive
2 TB work disc
2TB storage disc
EDIUS 9.52.6031
Many external project hard drives
Tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
rando

Theres no real way to answer the question "Which is best?" It all depends on what your doing. Edius is the fastest editor out there but Premiere blows it away if your doing more time involved projects espcially if you use Photoshop or AE. For Weddings (my buisness) Edius (for now) is the best. Commercial work or Documentarys id go with Premiere or FCP. News Edius definatly.
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
majormauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe View Post
and is Final Cut Pro any better in intuition or feature set or speed?
Or does Edius still win?
I should post a video of FCP running on my mac pro 8 core. The test would consist of the same clip being dropped on the time line and a few effects added as well as a cut or two.

The first thing you will see is all the re-rendering that you have to do in FCP as Edius flys right by in real time 100% of the time.

Same thing with Bloat, And its ugly organization of tools is showing its age.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS