Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Sheeba

Default Video Production on a tight budget!

Hi all....
I have a question about what to say to a non-profit client/organization with limited $.
Twenty years ago this non-profit hired a professional to tape about 30 interviews on hi 8mm. There are about 30 hi8 tapes.
Now the non-profit wants me to "economically" make a 10 to 15 minute video production using the raw tape.

To save time/$.... I would like to convert the tape straight to DVD, then edit in Edius. (?Maybe convert to avi only the stuff I use?)

THE BIG QUESTION! Can I truthfully reassure my client the extra transcode will not hurt analog image quality? Generally, I believe this is true for the average consumer, but purists might disagree!

Any comments appreciated.

Lori
Edius 9.3, ProASUS TUF X299 Mark I LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 Dual LAN X299 ATX Motherboard, Intell Core i7-7820 X Skylake-X 8-Core 3.6 GHz processor, GTX 1070, 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB WD Enterprise HD, 16 GB Ram, 2 LG DVD burners, Win10 Pro. Intensity Shuttle. Vitascene V.3. Vistitle 2.8 +

Last edited by Sheeba; 02-02-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Sheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
DigitalDave

Converting to DVD and editing from that is surely a recipe to lose quality.
I would use a Digital 8 deck and FireWire from that. Otherwise S (y/c) capture all the tapes. The balance is economics re convenience. From experience, if I believe in the project, I do it PROPERLY and if I don't I say NO.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:09 AM   #3
Sheeba

Thanks for reply. I'm rethinking this whole process.

What generic/universally readable lossless format that would be best for capture? I'm assuming I could select such a format to capture into Edius. I have blackmagic Intensity Shuttle too.
Edius 9.3, ProASUS TUF X299 Mark I LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 Dual LAN X299 ATX Motherboard, Intell Core i7-7820 X Skylake-X 8-Core 3.6 GHz processor, GTX 1070, 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB WD Enterprise HD, 16 GB Ram, 2 LG DVD burners, Win10 Pro. Intensity Shuttle. Vitascene V.3. Vistitle 2.8 +

Last edited by Sheeba; 02-03-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
dpalomaki

First: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/ is a web site devoted to capture and restoration of legacy analog video. They obsess about quality and restoration and have strong opinions on what hardware, software, and workflow to use, and not use. Warning: The time required to complete a project is not a primary consideration to them.

A lot will depend on the quality of the recordings.
- e.g.,Were they shot with a good camcorder with good lighting?
- are the tapes in good condition (no storage abuse)?
- Do the recordings have time code?
- What is the format/media for final delivery?
- How good is good enough?
- Do you want it to look as good as possible (e.g., restoration of the image), or have an "old video look"?
- How long are the interviews?
- Who will select the material to be used?
- Will it be cuts only editing or include effects?
- what will you be using to play the Hi8 tapes?

Dumping to a DVD recorder (with time code window dub) makes sense for material review and selection. Use 1 hour record mode for best results.
Lossless or low loss capture via s-video makes sense for capture of the material selected for use in the final edit.

Capture via firewire results in a DV file and that is not optimum for restoration processing due to compressions and loss of color information compared to using a lossless 4:2:2 format. But it may be adequate if restoration is not need. (By restoration I mean color/exposure correction, noise reduction, shake removal, etc.)

Ripping and then editing a DVD dump only makes sense if resulting quality meets your needs when all is said and done.

Don't upres to HD, it buys nothing but larger files and slower processing. (If you must make it the last step.)
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
dpalomaki

Will additional transcoding hurt the image. Yes, but how much will depend on several factors such as how much motion, noise, and other defects are in the original video as well as the codecs and compression used. Ultimately it goes to to much is too much for your project.

I believe Edius will let you select the codec used for capturing analog video with the BM Intensity series. If material is preselected from a DVD dump, you are talking a limited amount of material to recapture, maybe 20 minutes for a 10 minute edit?
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
Sheeba

Thanks for your valuable well-thought-out input! You've done your research!
I've seen your other posts on this topic.

Last edited by Sheeba; 02-03-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories