Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
ingvarai

Default Video from PC through ADVC 300 to monitor

I have managed to use the ADVC 300 sending video from a VCR, through the ADVC 300 and to my PC.
However, I also want to use the ADVC 300 as an external interface for viewing video on a TV monitor, video whose source is my PC. Typically I run the Sony Vegas 8 video editing software. And this software can send video out to an external device, like the ADVC 300.

Now, my Sony Vegas 8 recognizes the ADVC 300, as a valid device, with the status "connected", the TV monitor however, remains black.

In this case it is like this:
PC --> ADVC 300 --> TV Monitor

Some say there is a setting I have to make, to reverse the signal flow through the ADVC 300, but not matter what I do and what buttons I press an what DIP switches I turn, so far I have not managed to do thsi right.
Any ideas?
ingvarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
ingvarai

Problem solved. I used the wrong preoject settings in the NLE software. Whe setting it to PAL, and Canopus 300 to PAL - all went fine
ingvarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
kerwynk

Default can't see anything!

I am trying to have movies on my computer show up on my TV. I just purchased the ADVC110 and am trying to set it up. At this point, I have the firewire running from my computer to the back of the ADVC110, I have three composite wires running from the back of the ADVC110 to the video input of my TV. I have a solid light on the ADVC110 "Digital In." The TV sees that there is a signal, yet the screen is blank. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. There is no software, and there are no instructions other than just plugging it in! What comes next?
kerwynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
THoff

The only way the ADVC 110 is going to output an analog signals is if you feed it a digital DV data stream. Just playing a WMV or AVI file in something like Windows Media Player for instance won't work.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
kerwynk

Default and so...? :)

OK, so how do I send it a digital DV data stream? I have a Mac.

Thank you!

Last edited by kerwynk; 06-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
THoff

Unfortunately I'm not a Mac user and can't give you any guidance.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
kerwynk

Default ug!

Looks like I will be returning this product. Frustrating! They say it works with Mac, but it wouldn't hurt if they had some instructions someplace!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
kbosward

The ADVC110 will only convert a DV stream to analog, so you need to use an application on the Mac that can output a DV stream. iMovie will do this, which means the movie must first be loaded into iMovie. Once in iMovie, choose Video Camera from the Share menu then click the Videocamera button and adjust settings as required.

iMovie only works with DV format movies, so if you have a movie in a different format you will first need to convert it to DV stream format. Quicktime Pro can do this (which means you need to purchase the key to change Quicktime into Quicktime Pro).

As you can see, the ADVC-110 is not designed to convert digital movies in any format to analog for viewing on TV, it is only designed to convert DV stream to analog. Its purpose in fact is first to capture analog to DV stream, and then allow edited DV footage to be played back onto a TV so that you get a real-time view of what it will look like on a TV without having to burn to DVD first.

By the way, don't forget you can enable the color bar feature to check that the TV is connected correctly to the ADVC-110.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
kerwynk

Default thank you!

Thank you for this explanation, Ken. I had originally hoped to play Netflix movies on the TV, but I now see I need different hardware to do this (looks like I'll be getting an X-Box). I misunderstood what the product can do. Thanks though!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC