Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
jmleese

Default Unknown Error loading mpeg2 file to convert

I captured a basketball game off CBS from my DVR through Firewire, which was brought in as a .TS file (25 GB). It's not encrypted or locked, and will play fine in Media Player Classic.

I then converted it over using HDTVtoMPEG from the .TS file to a MPEG, and it also will play fine. I went through and edited out the commercials with HDTVtoMPEG, which resulted in a 17GB file. I have tried to bring it into Procoder 3, and the other night it loaded it, and I set it up to convert to .H264 format to compress it. I started it for about 30 seconds, and then stopped it because I thought it'd be more efficient if I took a small clip from the same broadcast (90 seconds) and tested out the settings to make sure I was happy with the results - picture quality and compression size. So, I went back using HDTVtoMPEG and created a 90 second clip that incorporated shots of fast moving action (full court game play) and closeups to see how it would handle the quality of both types of scenes.

I then ran the 90 second mpeg clip (207mb) through 3 different times, playing with the settings. Converting it to .H264 (59mb) and a .mp4 (44mb).
I'll post some of the settings, but it worked fine from what I can tell.
I used most of the presets, and did the slower multi-pass for better quality. I adjusted the screen size to 960 x 540 and put the audio setting to 48 stereo 192 AAC. 5000kb/s.

They worked fine. I then tried to take the mpeg file that had the commercials edited out, and tried to load it to convert it to the .mp4 settings. When it tried loading up I got something like CxEx0000002 unknown error message. It wouldn't let me load the file at all. I tried closing the program, and loading again, and even restarting the computer- still won't load it at all.

Got home last night and tried it again, wouldn't work. I tried to load the 90 second clip that loaded before, and it wouldn't work now, getting the same error message. I have no ideal why it wouldn't work at all, or started not working all of a sudden.

I didn't know if I somehow corrupted the file, so I processed another copy of the entire game with HDTV2MPEG, but didn't cut the commercials or anything. Tried loading the fresh copy, and still got the same error message.

Anyone have a clue why all of a sudden Procoder won't properly load the file to be converted?

Do I need to completely re-install Procoder or what? It's really frustrating because I can't figure out why it all of a sudden won't work, and I need to get this fixed and converted by Friday!

PLEASE HELP, and thanks for the feedback!!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

So, the sample clip won't load either now?

Honestly, in my experience I've done much of my cutting of ATSC MPEG-2 with MPEGStream Clip and Cuttermaran..
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
jmleese

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
So, the sample clip won't load either now?

Honestly, in my experience I've done much of my cutting of ATSC MPEG-2 with MPEGStream Clip and Cuttermaran..

Nope, it won't load the sample clip now either. They will all still play when opened. Which leads me to believe that there is some sort of error that has happened with Procoder. Not sure if the program became corrupt or what. Maybe need to reinstall Procoder? I can't remember if I had to load codecs after that or not or if the install automatically does that? I'm so close to getting it finalized and all and its frustrating and now I'm pressed for time to get this done by Friday
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you're using QuickTime in ProCoder, try uninstalling both ProCoder and QuickTime, then reinstall ProCoder (it should install QuickTime too).
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
THoff

Keep in mind that if you install the version of QuickTime that's on the Procoder CD, you'll have a version that is hopelessly out-of-date and has numerous security vulnerabilities. That's not a problem if your editing system isn't connected to the 'net, but I would still get the latest non-iTunes version and install that prior to installing Procoder, and then doing a custom install without QuickTime.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
jmleese

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Keep in mind that if you install the version of QuickTime that's on the Procoder CD, you'll have a version that is hopelessly out-of-date and has numerous security vulnerabilities. That's not a problem if your editing system isn't connected to the 'net, but I would still get the latest non-iTunes version and install that prior to installing Procoder, and then doing a custom install without QuickTime.
Thanks,

So just to be clear:

Uninstall Procoder
Uninstall Quicktime

Install "newest" updated Quicktime off web
Custom install Procoder with Quicktime not being check to install.

Now, will I have to go in and direct Procoder to the updated Quicktime install so it can work with Procoder or will that automatically be found by Procoder?

I'm assuming I'll have to direct it to the system folder... ?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

ProCoder doesn't need to be told about QuickTime - either it's there, or it isn't - because you can't have multiple QuickTime versions installed simultaneously. Well, not unless your machine is really hosed...
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
jmleese

K,

reloaded all the stuff, still won't take the bigger files.

The sample clip did load, though... so now I don't know what to do!?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

What if you cut the MPEG into the four separate quarters of the game, loaded them into ProCoder and stitched them for the output?
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder