Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
VSDS

Default How to fix the capture stop in the middle of capturing

Hello, I am a newbie, and a first time using ADVC-300. When I captured the VHS to my computer, every 20 or 25 minutes I got kicked off. Is there any setting that would be adjusted to prevent this happen? Thanks
I am using pinnacle software to capture the analog video tape connected thru ADVC-300. My system is P4 3GHZ, with 2 Gb of ram and 256 MB geforce graphic card. It run on windows XP pro.
When I captured the video, every 20 to 25 minutes. I kept getting disconnected from the ADVC-300 and reconnected. The system hardware dectection keeps appears saying that it detect the firewire device.... that was the problem

Last edited by VSDS; 05-15-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
THoff

You might want to say what platform you are on, what software you are using to capture, and exactly what you mean by getting "kicked off".
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
antonsvideo

20-25 min of DV = 4GB

you are getting kicked off if capturing to Fat32 drive (4GB limit per file)

when capturing to NTFS drive, then you can capture all day long (no limit until the disk is full)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
VSDS

Nope, my drive is formatted as NTFS
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

What Pinnacle software are you using to capture?

The 1/2/4GB AVI filesize limit is a function of both the filesystem being captured to and the capture software (depends what method it uses to do the AVI writing).
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
THoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDS View Post
The system hardware dectection keeps appears saying that it detect the firewire device...
I don't think his problem has anything to do with the file system -- the ADVC-300 disappears as far as Windows is concerned.

I would try another cable, and maybe another Firewire port if you have one. If you are using a Firewire hub or are daisy-chaining devices, plug the ADVC-300 directly into your computer. Check the AC cable to make sure it is plugged firmly into the power brick and outlet.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Also check for power-saving settings that might be turning things off.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
GrassValley_BM
Grass Valley

We've seen intermittant disconnect of DV devices on some systems. Most common with Dell.

Send an email to techsupport.canopus@thomson.net and request the ADVC patch for intermittant DV disconnects. We'll know what you're talking about and will forward the patch with installation instructions.
GrassValley_BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
kbosward

Pinnacle Studio (and most other video editing programs) sends device control messages to the ADVC-300 which basically tells it to stop converting if there is a break in the analog input (eg. between recordings on the source tape).

The only way around this that I have found is to use the shareware program Scenalyzer to do the capturing. Scenalyzer was especially written with Analog-to-DV converters in mind and allows you to turn off the device control option (Set Misc Options->Use device control to No). Then you can record all day!

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
THoff

You can also use the free WinDV to capture with the ADVC devices, there is a checkbox between the Capture and Config buttons that enables/disables device control. It's a tiny and very robust application with a 100 frame input buffer which helps avoid frame drops when your system is temporarily busy.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC